TIVO & Starchoice - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 02:56 PM
dks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarboy
It wouldn't make any difference. Even a HD Tivo wouldn't be able to record HD from SC, Bell or the local cable company for that matter. The Tivo would have to have the broadcaster's receiver integrated into it to do that.
I dunno. Just like everything else changes, I'm sure TIVO would have to change the way they are doing things now should they happen to offer an HD version of their box. They would have to start thinking outside of the box (excuse the pun). The TIVO HD box would need to accept an HDMI or DVI feed and then it would record from that, not from S-Video or Composite. It would not be an HD TIVO if it could not accept an HD feed from the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecklund
Only problem is viewing on an LCD Monitor. I would prefer watching it on TV thus where TIVO comes in. How much are these things? 99??
Do you have a graphics card with TV out? (comp. S-Video) I use the RADEON 9600XT and I can switch back and forth between my monitor and my TVs. I actually have an "in-house" cable system where I split the signal to a coax out and run a coax to all the TV's in the house. I can watch my recorded shows on any TV in the house. Only problem with that setup is every tv shows the same thing. I use other technologies to diversify the content on the other tv's. (xbox, sat. etc).

HTPC BTV4.2-BM1.1 MSI K8N NEO2-AMD64-1gb RAM-2XPVR250-RADEON 9600XT-2X120GB-200GB-Firefly-MyBlaster-DSR405 & DSR400.
Client MediaMVP MVPBTV addon
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I have the PVR set up as indicated Hauppauge pvr150 with BTV and it works pretty well. Definitely the closest thing, if not better than TIVO. Only problem is viewing on an LCD Monitor. I would prefer watching it on TV thus where TIVO comes in. How much are these things? 99??
I use the RCA-output on the cheapy graphics card (Radeon 9250?) to output it to my 27" TV. Looks good on there!

post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobob
SVideo doesn't support HD so an HD Tivo would have to get it's input via Component, DVI or HDMI.
As far as I know, there are no devices on the market for recording any of those formats, unless you go to the ultra expensive studio gear.
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 09:29 PM

Ouput

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsiriusiakin
Do you have a graphics card with TV out? (comp. S-Video) I use the RADEON 9600XT and I can switch back and forth between my monitor and my TVs. I actually have an "in-house" cable system where I split the signal to a coax out and run a coax to all the TV's in the house. I can watch my recorded shows on any TV in the house. Only problem with that setup is every tv shows the same thing. I use other technologies to diversify the content on the other tv's. (xbox, sat. etc).

Hmmm I think I have an output yes but a pain in the ass to add the cable. My graphics card is a GeoForce 5200 I believe.
post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-30, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Hmmm I think I have an output yes but a pain in the ass to add the cable. My graphics card is a GeoForce 5200 I believe.
I'm fairly sure the Geforce 5200 has a TV-OUT.

Why? Is the TV in another room? A lot of people with BTV setups have their computers in another room and run lines to the TVs. I've read of some setups where the s-video is fairly long (30 feet). Remember, you will need to get the sound there as well. Most HTPC'ers have the computer in the same room as the TV but these are usually dedicated BTV servers. There are as many solutions as their are setups for resolving this. Even wireless options to get the signal to your TV. The most limiting factor is money, as usual.

HTPC BTV4.2-BM1.1 MSI K8N NEO2-AMD64-1gb RAM-2XPVR250-RADEON 9600XT-2X120GB-200GB-Firefly-MyBlaster-DSR405 & DSR400.
Client MediaMVP MVPBTV addon
post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-31, 12:16 AM

Money makes the world go round

Yah if there is a will there is a way most times but yes my computer is in one room and TV in another. And yes, audio cables are the reall problem. I could boar holes through my wall though but I really don't wanna put holes in them LOL brand new condo here.

I guess I will have to think about things and perhaps in due time I will accomplish this. And yes money too is a factor as always. If you have enough money you can do anything and buy anything.
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-31, 10:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks
I dunno. Just like everything else changes, I'm sure TIVO would have to change the way they are doing things now should they happen to offer an HD version of their box. They would have to start thinking outside of the box (excuse the pun). The TIVO HD box would need to accept an HDMI or DVI feed and then it would record from that, not from S-Video or Composite. It would not be an HD TIVO if it could not accept an HD feed from the receiver.
The lawyers wouldn't let them though, and it will be costly. The best they can do to make a publically acceptable HD DVR is cablecard direct cable/antenna digital recorder.
post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-31, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
The lawyers wouldn't let them though, and it will be costly. The best they can do to make a publically acceptable HD DVR is cablecard direct cable/antenna digital recorder.
How about this to really make the legal folks' heads spin... a satellite tuner pci card (HD compatible of course). I'd far prefer this to a set-top PVR, or a TiVo device. You can get such cards for free to air, though I think they are still only SD. I'd pay some fairly substantial coin for this if *C were ever to come out with one, as all my HTPC can do right now, given my particular setup, is record from the "coax out" signal, which is really not exceptional quality.

It's about time TV providers got in-step with what is happening in the digital living room (a la HTPC's) and found a way to satisfy the copyright holders' issues.
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-31, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks

Component is also capable of HD just in Analogue format vs. HDMI and DVI digital. So it would be possible to record HD on an HD TIVO through Component but it would require some serious horsepower which would make the box very expensive.
post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-10-31, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmryglod
Does anyone have a TIVO & a Starchoice satellite system? Does the combination have the full TIVO functionality, or is it quite limited (i.e. SeasonPass doesn't work, etc.)? Any experience on this would be greatly appreciated.
I have had my Tivo hooked to my Starchoice for over a year now with some fancy hacking to get the guide data. I now paid a lifetime subcription and "went legit". All functions of the TiVo work with Starchoice as long as you have the IR channel changing thinging set up to change the SC Box. Of course the SD channels record fine and HD records fine and plays back fine if you have an upconverting HD TV. (My Toshiba does this). When watching HD through the Tivo on Live TV you get a smaller screen centered in the middle.

One thing not mentioned often is that the Tivo plus Tivo desktop allow some fancy stuff like listening to MP3s and veiwing photos from your computer if you have your TiVo networked. Also scheduling shows from work over the internet is cool and multi room viewing and transfering shows from TiVo to your desktop and burning a DVD for that roadtrip to keep the kids entertained is nice. I can live without recording true HD until some of these perks are available from Starchoice recorders.

Third party desktop software allows me to stream Internet radio stations as well. Hope that helps
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-11-01, 07:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgib01
How about this to really make the legal folks' heads spin... a satellite tuner pci card (HD compatible of course).

They cannot with a PC, so no such card exists for a PC.

The FTA cards can do HD BTW.
post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-11-02, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat
They cannot with a PC, so no such card exists for a PC.

The FTA cards can do HD BTW.
Please correct me if I'm wrong... I realize that no such PCI cards exist, but I don't think that's because they can't produce them (i.e., they are not limited from a technological standpoint). I would think that such a PCI card wouldn't be any more difficult to produce than the FTA ones currently on the market. I was suggesting that if any DTH company _did_ produce them, that they would likely sell a pile and I'd be one of the first in line to buy. Heck, I might even switch to Bell if they came out with one and *C didn't

Haven't seen the HD-capable FTA cards in my web travels, but will keep my eyes open for them now. Thanks for the info. That would support my position that they are well situated (again, technologically) to create HD versions of such cards for HTPC integration.
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-11-02, 03:19 PM
ARR

The HD capable ones were software mode (Eg, Twinhan) and not the more expensive hardware mode (Hauppahe Nexus-S) ones.

Now Bell HD is QPSK, so they used to work until the N2 switchover.
Dish uses 8PSK on their HD and only the new DVB-S2 cards coming out have 8PSK tuners. Hard to find, expensive and not well supported yet.

So the reality today is, nothing is working.

By the time we figure that out, dish will be MPEG4 anyway, so maybe need some new codecs to graph.

I agree it would be way cool if your sat provider made such a card.
Then the PVR would be a slam dunk and different apps could be run and you could choose your features and skins like FTA is now.
With cablecard and DCII being made external now, all the tech limitations are gone.
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 2005-11-03, 10:35 AM
Veteran

The QPSK card could never legitimately get BEV, they used pirate software to illegally decode the channel.

The reason there are no pay TV tuner cards is not really technical, but that the studios and provider do not want their conent available on a PC in such a manner, at least not until they are very secure so that the content cannot be pirated. This would inclue CC capable PC tuners.

Tags
star choice , tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in