DSR 530 DVI output - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 2006-12-05, 02:03 PM

DVI output

Setting the 530's front panel HDTV mode select to 720p solved the DVI interface flicker on my plasma, which has a native res of 720p. All other setting results in either flickering or no picture at all. As the Panasonic AX100U projector is also native 720, it might be worth a try to see that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 2006-12-05, 03:03 PM
ARR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothills View Post
...will the component video be significantly inferior to the DVI output?
NO, it will still be fantastic HD.
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 2006-12-05, 03:09 PM
ARR

Smile We'll that just makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
Setting the 530's front panel HDTV mode select to 720p solved the DVI interface flicker on my plasma, which has a native res of 720p. .
On my RPTV that does NOT support 720p, if I send 720p over component it flickers as the mode is not supported.

I've also observed on various sets that are 720p native as is very common for fixed pixel devices that 1080i via component will down res, but if sent via DVI/HDMI, it will NOT.

Since 480p is also NOT part of the accepted DVI/HDMI spec, many, but not all sets will also reject the signal and flicker.

It seems that the Digital Video input is designed to pass-thru directly to the display without additional processing, so you MUST consider the native resolution of the display in many cases.

post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I just purchased the Starchoice 530 and hooked it up to my Panasonic AX100U projector via DVI to HDMI. As many others have experienced, the picture flickers every few seconds. I talked to tech support and they say that it is because a different DVI standard was used by Motorolla than Panasonic and the 2 don't communicate properly. They say there is no fix and to use component video. Is there a fix that anyone has found? I'm projecting onto a 120" screen - will the component video be significantly inferior to the DVI output?
It's not just a problem between Motorola and Panasonic. I have a Toshiba DLP TV and it won't work with that either.

Just what standard is Motorola following anyway? Likely their own sloppy standard? What a crock.
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 12:22 AM
ARR

Cool I might have thought that too...but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin270 View Post
It's not just a problem between Motorola and Panasonic. I have a Toshiba DLP TV and it won't work with that either.

Just what standard is Motorola following anyway? Likely their own sloppy standard? What a crock.
In doing a little homework over at HDMI.ORG I found this that appears to support *C statements.

Quote:
Q. How can a consumer identify which HDMI products support a specific feature, such as DVD Audio or deep color?
The key for consumers to remember is that HDMI has consistently enabled a variety of the most innovative new technologies (whether they be DVD Audio, SACD, 1080p/60, etc.). However, in many cases, it is up to each manufacturer to choose which features to implement in any given product. The manufacturer can thus use its knowledge of the market to choose the mix of features that makes sense for its customers. So, customers must choose devices that have the features that they want (instead of focusing on which version of HDMI is implemented by the device.) . Consumers interested in confirming whether a particular consumer electronics product supports DVD-Audio or any other feature over HDMI are urged to review users’ manuals and product reviews and check with manufacturers directly.
Just in respect to HDMI alone, there are 4 different flavours.
Given that they elected to build with DVI, which accomodated the sets shiping at the time of development and additional research on DVI over at the Digital Display Worling Group where the spec is defined, indicates a variety of standards there as well, so to make the statement you did is quite reckless and doesn't serve to educate those less technical here as to precisely why things are the way they are.

Hopefully after a little research, you'll come to a rational less emotional conclusion.
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 10:09 AM

Angry

Quote:
Setting the 530's front panel HDTV mode select to 720p solved the DVI interface flicker on my plasma, which has a native res of 720p. All other setting results in either flickering or no picture at all. As the Panasonic AX100U projector is also native 720, it might be worth a try to see that helps.
I tried this and it still flickers. I've also tried resetting the machine by holding the power button in for 6 seconds and also tried unplugging it and restarting. Nothing works. I guess I'm stuck with using component video - which is too bad since I'd like a totally digital signal with HD. (I ran coax in the ceiling to the projector as a backup - I guess I'm going to have to get out the solder gun and put the RCA ends on now so I can use the component video). Seems like a shame - maybe they'll come out with an HDMI output model in the Spring or after Christmas. Maybe I should return this and wait until then
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 2006-12-06, 04:05 PM

Lightbulb one more kick of the can

Quote:
I tried this and it still flickers. :
No joy eh? Past experience with DVI and the 530 stirs my thoughts to only one other possible line of help. Perhaps your 530 hasn't downloaded the CC code yet as your's is new and may have been delivered with a earlier operating code. The latest code should download in the first or second night after being installed. My 530's DVI wouldn't function no matter the setting with codes 00.A0 or 00.A4. Don't know why really. (My DVR530HD is one of the originals pre-ordered lot back when they were born...and yes it's still working, knock on wood!!) All other codes that the unit had were fine with DVI as long as the front panel was set to 720p. If the operating code needs to be updated and then does, try again. Otherwise, component is the only way to go.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 2006-12-07, 10:07 AM

Quote:
No joy eh? Past experience with DVI and the 530 stirs my thoughts to only one other possible line of help. Perhaps your 530 hasn't downloaded the CC code yet as your's is new and may have been delivered with a earlier operating code. The latest code should download in the first or second night after being installed. My 530's DVI wouldn't function no matter the setting with codes 00.A0 or 00.A4. Don't know why really. (My DVR530HD is one of the originals pre-ordered lot back when they were born...and yes it's still working, knock on wood!!) All other codes that the unit had were fine with DVI as long as the front panel was set to 720p. If the operating code needs to be updated and then does, try again. Otherwise, component is the only way to go.
Thanks for the idea, but it is uploaded with the CC version. StarChoice says it's all up to date. I hooked up the component and it looks fine so I guess I'll have to ditch the DVI. Hopefully they'll come out with an adapter down the road since this issue is well known by the local dealers and SC.
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 2006-12-09, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Tup

Foothills:

I had a Sanyo Z2 projector which had issues with the DVI output of the 530. The Z2 was know to have HDCP issues however. Later, when I upgraded to a Sanyo Z4, I had no problems at all using a DVI-HDMI cable running to a HDMI Switch. I know others with different front projectors...Sony, that don't have issues. I'm surprised it's giving you issues.

Have you tried different cables or adapters? I know I had a monoprice adapter that didn't work....had to use a Source for Circuit city (radio shack) adapter. Try a different DVI-hdmi cable...This has helped others in the past.

Sometimes to get the picture to sync properly I have to turn the 530 off and on.

As for using Component...there are proper RG6 F-type ends to RCA end adapters. I used them but now I strictly use HDMI. I can't really say the picture was inferior with the component cables though.

Last edited by Tup; 2006-12-09 at 08:07 PM.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 2006-12-11, 01:17 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup View Post
Foothills:

I had a Sanyo Z2 projector which had issues with the DVI output of the 530. The Z2 was know to have HDCP issues however. Later, when I upgraded to a Sanyo Z4, I had no problems at all using a DVI-HDMI cable running to a HDMI Switch. I know others with different front projectors...Sony, that don't have issues. I'm surprised it's giving you issues.

Have you tried different cables or adapters? I know I had a monoprice adapter that didn't work....had to use a Source for Circuit city (radio shack) adapter. Try a different DVI-hdmi cable...This has helped others in the past.

Sometimes to get the picture to sync properly I have to turn the 530 off and on.

As for using Component...there are proper RG6 F-type ends to RCA end adapters. I used them but now I strictly use HDMI. I can't really say the picture was inferior with the component cables though.
Thanks for the tips, but I did try a different cable that was a lot shorter for testing purposes and it still flickered (I'm running 35 ft to the projector). I thought maybe the signal needed to be boosted, but not if there are problems on a shorter cable. I also tried turning the 530 off and on (along with a series of hook-up procedures as recommended by SC). Still, it flickers. The component looked fine on a short cable. I'll crimp some RCA ends onto the RG6 coax I ran in the ceiling once the ends arrive (my soldering plans didn't pan out - the crimping ends are easier I'm told - plus I have a contact that will do it). I'm a little concerned, however, about signal loss with the component video since it is also 35 ft long (and I'm using a 120" screen). I was going to return the 530 tomorrow and go with Bell, but read the fine print from The Source dealer I bought it from - no returns over 7 days.
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 2006-12-11, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Tup

That still seems strange to me. My cable goes through a splitter and then goes another 33 ft to my projector. My component cable went that long and looked fine as well. Maybe use your HDMI cable for a DVD player.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in