switching between tripod and rooftop dish - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2020-02-08, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

switching between tripod and rooftop dish

Good morning, I've been searching for a while (with no luck) to see if my idea may work for my parents motor home.
they've got a dish on the roof that finds it's own signal, which is a great feature. However they've been to a couple of places that it won't find a signal. I assume its just going too fast to lock on. In this instance i have them a tripod and a dish that they can aim and lock on. Trouble is how do i wire this in so their tv's work with whatever dish is operating? is there a way? as it stands i've plugged the stand alone dish into the rear of the motor home and just switched the coax i behind the receiver on the main tv. this works for me, but its probably not smart for my parents to try playing with wires......... I didn't know if theres some kind of switch that would bring 2 signals in and 1 signal out. never would both dishes be hooked up at the same, and then which ever dish works for them would just show signals on both tvs. additionally, there is 2 connections at the back of the motorhome, so i could bring 2 coax from the tripod and install 2 of these switches (1 for each reciever)

hopefully this makes some kind of sense, and hopefully i have some kind of option for these guys! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2020-02-11, 11:13 AM
Rookie

I use a couple of basic A/B coax switches in our RV. IIRC I found them at BestBuy.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2020-02-11, 03:12 PM

The motorhome dish should be able to find the sats if the signal isn't blocked by trees. OTOH the rooftop dish may be smaller than your tripod dish and the signal isn't as good, especially they're in the southern provinces.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in