Crave Authentication Error - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-06-13, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Crave Authentication Error

Does anyone else have this issue? - I have Movies West (receive Crave, HBO, & Starz) - VOD is working fine on receiver but I am now getting a message from Crave that I am not subscribed when I try to log in on the android app, on a computer, or on FireTV. It tells me to contact my provider. It worked previously and the only thing that has changed is switching to the new National channel lineup on Shaw Direct from the old Classic lineup but not sure why that would effect authentication to CraveTV. Maybe this is something completely unrelated. I have tried logging out and back in - selecting "through my provider", "Shaw", and entering my username and password but it keeps telling me I am not subscribed. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-06-13, 02:31 AM
Veteran

Did the switch involve Shaw people changing your lineup? If so I would guess finger trouble on their end.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-06-13, 11:40 AM

I've been hearing about Crave having intermittent issues on their end - our internal tracking for the "outage" states that multiple retries will eventually work.

They apparently implemented a login caching that's not playing nice with our authentications. Cable is having the same issues.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-06-13, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes. Crave seems to be working now. Thank you.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-06-13, 10:25 PM
Veteran

Probably nothing to do with Shaw. I have to relogin to the Crave App on my Fire Stick (which needs me to find a computer or mobile) every couple of days or so recently. And I subscribe directly to Crave.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-06-19, 05:43 PM

Crave works fine on my receiver but will just not work at all on my Samsung TV app. I called Shaw and they said "Yup, it doesn't work".
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-06-20, 03:35 PM
Veteran

A lot of the issues with Crave authentication is due to the goofy way in which users are authorized. There is so much cross scripting and server site hopping, especially with BDU customers, that there are close to a dozen ways for it to fail. Any type of security or privacy software will make it fail. I use a script blocker for security reasons. That alone makes navigating the Crave login process a nightmare. Any browser that blocks cross scripting and enforces basic privacy policies will fail. That's probably why they stopped supporting Firefox. The site hopping also confuses password managers and causes their automated login procedures to fail.

More and more A/V software and other packages install security and privacy plugins that will cause issues. Writing apps that navigate the Crave login obstacle course are probably difficult to write and maintain. In comparison, I've never had such issues with Netflix. I just needed to allow scripting for Netflix itself and everything worked flawlessly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in