LNB Ku to xKu upgrade recording problems - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Digital Home Canada

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct Satellite
Home Forum Favourites Active Topics Help Register Today's Posts Search Calendar Advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread

Unread Today, 01:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question LNB Ku to xKu upgrade recording problems

I've held off till a few weeks ago to upgrade the LNB but according to Shaw Direct, I'd start to lose channels.

The first thing I noticed is that "To be recorded" list had to be changed, due to new channel numbers.
I have always recorded The National from Toronto at 8 PM, every day.

After erasing the old setting, I set out to input a new setting, every day at 8 PM, but only have the option to select "New" whereas in the past, I was able to select a specific channel only and "New".

Well the upcoming recording list had every dam channel that The National at all times of the evening.... I'd have >5 recordings and recording conflicts like crazy.

After deleting the event and trying as many ways as possible, I gave up and called Tech Support.
His answer was a bit condescending, so I asked him to follow exactly what I had done to program on receiver, on the receiver in front of him. Well low and behold, he faced the same problem I was having and his solution was to pass it onto the tech department. I asked to be transferred to that department and was told he couldn't. After much discussion, he finally told me that they would only look at the problem if they received lots of complaints. WTF? They change the event programming method and now we have to lodge several to hundreds/thousands of complaints to fix the problem....

BTW, if I were to set the event timer manually, that would work most of the time except when a special event was on at the same time slot which would result in a recording of the special event.

Looking for some feedback.
Charlie60 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread Today, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

The ability to select a specific channel is there. You must edit it in the recording list after you have initially set it up. Go to the upcoming list in the PVR menus.
Unread Today, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about the rough agent experience - LONSat is right, though. Go into your upcoming recordings, find The National, and select "Edit recording/reminder options". Scroll down to Channels, and LEFT/RIGHT until you see "More Channels..." and press ENTER to select the airing you want.

I tested it out here and am seeing something similar, but it's not *every* airing, seems to be once every time slot. CBC has likely set the different airing times to all have unique program IDs so the receiver is seeing them as distinct. I'll have someone reach out CBC to see if they take a look.
k801809 is online now   Quick reply to this message

Unread Today, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have the same experience with The National. You have to edit it to say this channel only. You will end up typically with two recordings on the chosen channel as it is repeated later in the overnight hours with a new flag. I have found if you go through the upcoming airings a delete all the secondary recordings on ( @Charlie60 , in your example CBC Toronto) that you only get one recording. It is like you have to train the PVR to ignore the second showing of the National of the preferred channel. I have had variable success with this method. Sometimes the second showing comes back but it is easy to delete one extra recording rather than 6 (or more) x 2 across all the channel/timezone combinations.
Unread Today, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ah, thank you!! A couple of extra steps is what was needed. For some reason (blame it on my senior age) I couldn't find the magic "More Channels" icon. Once I had set it to record on a particular channel on the time slot required, all the other upcoming duplicate program recording list disappeared.

When setting originally, the only option for repeat recordings was the "New" programs, which is the reason why every "New" program was set to record.
I seem to remember that with the older firmware, the option to specifically specify a particular channel to record was available to program without having to take the extra steps to do so.

Again, thanks... my life is good now!!!
Charlie60 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great, glad it all worked out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in