Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

56.05 Firmware update for 600 series receivers

5K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  k801809 
#1 ·
My 630 receiver updated and I may have found an issue with it on the TCM HD channel.
On my 630 receiver I’m only getting a standard definition picture and menu on TCM HD.
My 600 receiver which has not updated yet is fine and my 800 receiver is also fine.
While not all the movies are always in HD on TCM the menu description is always in HD.

#2 ·
Interesting - thank you for the report.

56.05 does change the way that the DSR handles SD signals on SD channels, but that shouldn't affect your HD channel. As well, that fix/change was implemented on 8XX back in December.

Is it possible to post a picture by chance? I'm not sure what you mean regarding the menu... Have you checked both the display settings on your TV and the receiver (more likely the receiver)?

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply,
When you switch to a standard def channel the guide switches to a 4:3 display which is normal ,when you switch to a HD channel the guide goes to a 16:9 display also normal.
What’s happening with TCM HD since the firmware update is that the guide and picture stays in the 4:3 display.
You can switch between TCM HD channel and the Standard TCM channel and there is no change.
TCM HD is stuck with the standard 4:3 display and guide.
Sorry I couldn’t host a image to view on this forum.

#6 ·
I also had an issue yesterday too.
I was watching a show and midway decided to record the rest for later, and switched to another channel to watch something else and midway decided to record it as well for later viewing.

After that I started watching a prerecorded show from the list.
About an hour later, only one show was still recording and on the receiver only one red icon was lit.
I tried to switch to live viewing and I kept getting the pop window that no tuners were available and to choose DVR or VOD.
I went back to watch another recorded show until the one that was recording was finished and was then able to go to live TV.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
TCM HD not coming in as HD

Could someone please check if there able to get TCM HD in HD?
I can switch between both TCM channels (HD and Standard Def) but both are in 4:3 and in standard definition when there is an HD movie playing.
Also the guide switches to a 4:3 display when switching from a HD channel to TCM HD which would indicate a mapping issue from the last firmware update.

Many thanks for your help!

#10 ·
Many thanks all, done the reboot no effect.
Tired the 630 receiver on 3 different HD TV’s and no change, my 800 receiver does not have the issue.
Guess I’ll have to wait until they do the next firmware up date for the 600 series.
There is no doubt that the last firmware update changed the way TCM HD displays only in 4:3 even if it’s 16:9 movie in HD.

#14 ·
Hmm... this one has me bamboozled, which honestly doesn't happen very often. To be clear, your Guide, whether on an SD or an HD channel, should never look like that 4:3 image. I've actually never seen that happen before since we launched the HD Guide in 2013!

We've been getting various complaints about TCM from all lines of Shaw - Cable IPTV, legacy Cable and Satellite. They're doing something wonky with their feed... There haven't been any changes to the feed on our end so I'm having trouble getting to the bottom of it.

In checking both my 830 and 630 here, I do see that the 830 has the picture letterboxed, where the 630 is actually 16:9. I'm going to have to do some further digging on this one.

#20 ·
I figured out that my LD OLED was getting confused when it was expecting TCM HD to be in HD ,when it was not it would switch The guide to 4:3.
The problem is still TCM HD coming in as standard definition,I checked with my neighbour who also has Shaw Direct and TCM HD is coming in as Standard definition.
I have reached out to TCM in there forums and a few other Shaw Direct customers have also noted the same problem.
No response from TCM, which apparently normal for them from what I have read on there forums.
It would appear that this issue has happened many times in the past with cable company’s in the States.
There own streaming service which you can only get in the States is full of complaints and issues.
I’m really shocked at TCM for there poor customer service or lack of.Apparently TCM’s parent company had been taken over by A&TT in 2018 and there is a reshuffle in play.

#17 · (Edited)
TCM is very sensitive to the issue of Not reformatted there movies from there original format.
It’s a big taboo in the film industry to reformat someone’s original work and they give TCM a lot of support.
So I wouldn’t think TCM would take the chance to offend there supporters.
Some of the original Super Wide Format Films like How The West Was Won are the exception,
TCM wouldn’t change them but might use a new format that the Studio had changed for commercial licence.
A search at Google shows this issue has come up in the pass with TCM’s broadcast,but usually in the States.

#19 ·
there is something weird on my 630 on the TCM HD channel as well. It definitely seems the HD channel (ch 138) seems to be an SD feed.
I have it set up so that all SD channels go into stretch mode within the 630 options (you can choose normal, stretch, zoom). So anytime i view an SD channel, the mode switches to stretch to fill the screen. If i go to any HD channel the 630 goes into Normal mode, but when i check the TCM HD channel the box goes into stretch mode, so it seems TCM is broadcasting in SD mode for this HD channel. Doesn't make any sense

#21 ·
Glad to report TCM HD and TCM Standard definition is fixed on Shaw Direct.
Both channels are displaying there proper format and the gorgeous HD is back on TCM HD.
Watching some really stunning Classic movies in HD again, many thanks Shaw.

#22 ·
You're very welcome! This one has been driving me nuts since April so the other day I *really* pushed it up the chain. Turns out that TCM did change how they deliver their feed to us back in April - I will note, the video support teams have said that you may see TCM SD have the all-four black bars now. They changed the feed originally to fix the SD channel, but have now reverted it back, so they expect the "postage stamp" effect to come back, until TCM implements something additional on their side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.