56.05 Firmware update for 600 series receivers - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-04-25, 03:18 PM

TCM is a wonderful channel. I stopped watching it a long time ago because the audio was often not in synchronization with the video. It was very distracting. Lots of good movies that are well restored. TCM provides a great cultural history repository.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-04-25, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
I wonder if a bunch of their films, being older, have been stretched, while some have not. That may explain our boxes going wonky, especially if they didn’t properly format the film.
TCM is very sensitive to the issue of Not reformatted there movies from there original format.
It’s a big taboo in the film industry to reformat someone’s original work and they give TCM a lot of support.
So I wouldn’t think TCM would take the chance to offend there supporters.
Some of the original Super Wide Format Films like How The West Was Won are the exception,
TCM wouldn’t change them but might use a new format that the Studio had changed for commercial licence.
A search at Google shows this issue has come up in the pass with TCM’s broadcast,but usually in the States.

Last edited by Romany; 2019-04-25 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Updated Info.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-04-25, 06:45 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romany View Post
....TCM wouldn’t change them but would use a Blue Ray HD...
As you stated, TCM always shows their programming OAR (Original Aspect Ratio). They would not, however, utilize a Blu-ray disc. That is a consumer format which is not allowed commercially.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-05-03, 07:44 PM

there is something weird on my 630 on the TCM HD channel as well. It definitely seems the HD channel (ch 138) seems to be an SD feed.
I have it set up so that all SD channels go into stretch mode within the 630 options (you can choose normal, stretch, zoom). So anytime i view an SD channel, the mode switches to stretch to fill the screen. If i go to any HD channel the 630 goes into Normal mode, but when i check the TCM HD channel the box goes into stretch mode, so it seems TCM is broadcasting in SD mode for this HD channel. Doesn't make any sense
Romany likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-05-24, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by k801809 View Post
Hmm... this one has me bamboozled, which honestly doesn't happen very often. To be clear, your Guide, whether on an SD or an HD channel, should never look like that 4:3 image. I've actually never seen that happen before since we launched the HD Guide in 2013!

We've been getting various complaints about TCM from all lines of Shaw - Cable IPTV, legacy Cable and Satellite. They're doing something wonky with their feed... There haven't been any changes to the feed on our end so I'm having trouble getting to the bottom of it.

In checking both my 830 and 630 here, I do see that the 830 has the picture letterboxed, where the 630 is actually 16:9. I'm going to have to do some further digging on this one.
I figured out that my LD OLED was getting confused when it was expecting TCM HD to be in HD ,when it was not it would switch The guide to 4:3.
The problem is still TCM HD coming in as standard definition,I checked with my neighbour who also has Shaw Direct and TCM HD is coming in as Standard definition.
I have reached out to TCM in there forums and a few other Shaw Direct customers have also noted the same problem.
No response from TCM, which apparently normal for them from what I have read on there forums.
It would appear that this issue has happened many times in the past with cable company’s in the States.
There own streaming service which you can only get in the States is full of complaints and issues.
I’m really shocked at TCM for there poor customer service or lack of.Apparently TCM’s parent company had been taken over by A&TT in 2018 and there is a reshuffle in play.
RuralRouter likes this.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Glad to report TCM HD and TCM Standard definition is fixed on Shaw Direct.
Both channels are displaying there proper format and the gorgeous HD is back on TCM HD.
Watching some really stunning Classic movies in HD again, many thanks Shaw.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 10:19 AM

You're very welcome! This one has been driving me nuts since April so the other day I *really* pushed it up the chain. Turns out that TCM did change how they deliver their feed to us back in April - I will note, the video support teams have said that you may see TCM SD have the all-four black bars now. They changed the feed originally to fix the SD channel, but have now reverted it back, so they expect the "postage stamp" effect to come back, until TCM implements something additional on their side.
RuralRouter and Romany like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in