Speed Issues with Shaw Direct "On Demand" - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-11, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Speed Issues with Shaw Direct "On Demand"

I'm having a problem with "On Demand" on both of my Shaw Direct receivers (HDPVR630 & HDDSR600). When I run their built-in speed test I'm getting absolutely abysmal results (0.5 - 3.5 Mbps) and it's rendered V-O-D virtually useless much of the time.

BACKGROUND:

My connection is nominally 15 Mbps / 1 Mbps and I check it regularly to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. The randomly-timed tests I've run over the last week (numbering 15 in total utilizing 3 services - fast.com, speedtest.net, and speedof.me) have averaged 14.84 Mbps / 1.40 Mbps with the lowest download at 13 Mbps and the lowest upload at 1.09 Mbps.

I've also used 'LAN Speed Test' to test my in-house wiring (Cat 6 from my router location to the two rooms where the receivers are located) using my laptop with the same cables that are normally plugged into the receivers attached to the ethernet jack on the laptop - and with wi-fi turned off and they test out OK (~575 Mbps upload and ~900 Mbps download from my personal server.) All traffic is routed through my TP-Link Archer C7 router.

/BACKGROUND

Shaw's ever-helpful "support" immediately tried to put the blame on my ISP - even after I explained all the testing I'd done - suggesting they (ISP) were "throttling". I've never encountered such issues with my supplier on any other internet service and the ISP is actually partnered with Shaw Direct and promotes them on their website so I doubt they're going to "cut off their nose... " by playing those kind of games.

Does anyone have any ideas - short of tossing Shaw to the curb?

Last edited by CodyG102; 2019-03-11 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-11, 05:58 PM

On around March 3 Shaw VOD was offline for maintenance and upgrades for a couple of hours.
Since then the speed check went from 25 Mbps to around 12 Mbps.
At first it was really low like yours,but a soft reboot(holding the power button down) got it back to streaming HD with no issues at 12 Mbps.
Hope this helps.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-12, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Romany! I appreciate your response.

I was aware of the outage last week but soft rebooting the receivers since did nothing to change the issue - 2.806 Mbps on the last test on the receiver (but 15.15 Mbps when I tried the laptop).

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-14, 01:48 PM

I have issues with VOD from time to time. No fix, it just magically works hours, or a day later. Running speed tests during this usually shows adequate bandwidth for HD streaming (according to Shaw). No matter what I try (including rebooting everything, router, cable modem, receivers) it just won't work. Yet I fire up the good ole Netflix machine and it works flawlessly. Makes zero sense, other than it's all on Shaw.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-14, 02:50 PM

We (Shaw Direct) are aware of ongoing intermittent streaming issues with VOD - we are working with our vendor to resolve these, who have been making small tweaks quite frequently. It's been helping the issues seen but hasn't totally resolved them as of yet. You'll definitely find the worst performance during prime time and weekends when more DSRs are hitting our servers, which contributes to the intermittent issues.

I will note though, on the original post - the DSR doesn't have the same processors you would find in devices *made* to connect to the internet as a primary function (computers, mobile devices, gaming systems, etc.), so you shouldn't expect to reach the highest Internet speed that you're subscribed to through the DSR.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-14, 03:15 PM

Thank you for 1.) responding, and more importantly 2.) for responding with some information and insight as to what is going on. And not deflecting the blame back on us, the paying customers. How refreshing! Now fix it (just kidding), well not really kidding, but we know it's not your fault.
CodyG102 likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-25, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

While I understand there may be limitations with the processor, the maximum download my connection is capable of is 15 Mbps and I usually get pretty close to this (generally 13-15 Mbps) on ALL other devices I've checked my speed on (desktops, laptops, tablets, phones, Smart TV, Roku, etc. regardless of whether they're wired or wireless) with the LONE exception of my Shaw receivers where my last three speed tests were: 0.828 Mbps, 1.778 Mbps, & 1.344 Mbps - ABYSSMAL!!!
The recent down times - supposedly due to maintenance - have done nothing to mitigate the problem, making Shaw's V-o-D essentially a mockery...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-25, 07:09 PM

It's quite possible you're getting routed to the wrong CDN - you're right, those are definitely rough results. How are you connected to the router/modem? If not hardwired (IE Powerline Bridge, etc.), try hard-wiring and see if you're still pulling in super low numbers. We can then get you to run a trace to see that your ISP and IP is mapped correctly. It's been a long time since I've seen that as an issue, but it's definitely still possible.

I'd put you at probably 4-5 Mbps through the receiver on a 15 Mbps connection - just what I've personally seen through the years.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-26, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

As I stated in my original post, the receiver locations are hard-wired with Cat-6 and I've tested the wiring by running LAN Speed Test (https://totusoft.com/lanspeed) from both locations on my laptop using the same patch cables that normally attach the receivers to their keystone jacks. I've also run the fast.com and speedtest.net internet speed tests from there as well and those results were consistent with what I get elsewhere in the house so IMO that pretty much rules out wiring issues.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-03-28, 04:40 PM

Sorry, I missed that that's how the receivers were connected. Thank you for clarifying.

At this point, I think we need to look at your routing. It's possible that your IP is getting directed to an incorrect server for your location, causing unnecessary degradation. We'd need you to run a trace route and send the results over to us (me). Feel free to PM me if you're interested in doing so.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-04-16, 11:25 PM

My 630 used to speed test at 5+mbps when my PC speed test said 6mbps. Not good, but good enough to be able to stream HD from Shaw VOD.

Now my line is at the same speed but 630 says between 1 and 4 mbps which is NOT good enough for HD. Wonderful.

Does the 830 perform better at streaming than the 630? I don't want one because of its shortcomings but if it can stream better maybe I'll get one for the one location I use VOD.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-04-17, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

@JasperJoe My experience with the 600 & 630 is similar. I used to get decent speeds - like you, good enough for HD V-o-D - but that changed and when I called Shaw I got a "song-and-dance" routine rather than answers. I still think there have been changes on Shaw's end (equipment, software, or demand) that's causing the issues but, of course, they deny it. The reason I put this back on Shaw is because I don't have these speed problems with my Roku or Sharp Smart TV (I've tested!).

I don't have an 830 receiver but my sister does and when I checked it recently, she's getting the same unacceptably slow speeds as I am.

I performed traceroute testing - as requested in a post above - and sent them to Shaw and I'm waiting for further response from their rep. We'll see...
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-04-17, 08:38 AM

Thanks CodyG102. To what address did you tracert?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-04-17, 02:43 PM

I thought I was going to have to apologize because I discovered that I had plugged my 630's ethernet cable into my router instead of my dsl modem. Corrected the config but it made absolutely no difference.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2019-04-17, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

I actually did the same thing deliberately to rule out issues with my router (my ISPs gateway has 2 LAN ports) and, like you, experienced no difference.

Since I'm not sure if the server address I was asked to ping was meant for general distribution (k801809 sent it to me by PM rather than posting on the forum) I'll PM it to you as well rather than publish it here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in