Speed Issues with Shaw Direct "On Demand" - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-17, 04:00 PM

You'd want to run "tracert svc1.cdn.shawcable.net", and we'd also need your Unit ID/Address, as the receiver uploads logs of your speed test attempts which would be great to analyze.

The long and short of it - we upgraded our servers to accommodate Crave content in very last October. The "upgrade" was quite the opposite, which was fairly evident immediately. Since then, we've been working with our vendor to address their side of the issues, but I guess we've *also* found that a bunch of content from late last year was corrupted, so the problem was two-fold and made it a lot more complicated to diagnose, address, and have the vendor work with us.

We've been doing extensive testing throughout this year and...
- have identified the corruption issue - anything encoded in 2019 should be fine at this point, but anything problematic from 2018 needs to be escalated on a title by title basis.
- have had the vendor make tweaks on their end - this has shown improvements but has not fixed it 100% it seems.

Last week, a great stride was hit and we're seeing a LOT less errors when streaming is attempted, through our reporting. However, it seems this hasn't improved either of your experiences, unfortunately.

@JasperJoe - have you actually tried to stream with the results you're pulling? A little known secret - we used to encode our HD assets starting at 5.0 Mbps. This was reduced to 1.75 Mbps 2ish years ago, after we looked at Netflix and YouTube encoding practices and what we would still deem as "HD".

1.75 Mbps obviously isn't the greatest HD, but adaptive streaming will get you the best quality it can handle with your network. We continue to advertise 5.0 Mbps as "minimum" for HD, as anything encoded prior to the change wouldn't have the lower rate available and would require the full 5.0 Mbps.

I was just curious if, despite your speeds, if you can still at least watch what you want to...
JasperJoe and CodyG102 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-17, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The long and short of it - we upgraded our servers to accommodate Crave content in very last October. The "upgrade" was quite the opposite, which was fairly evident immediately. Since then, we've been working with our vendor to address their side of the issues, but I guess we've *also* found that a bunch of content from late last year was corrupted, so the problem was two-fold and made it a lot more complicated to diagnose, address, and have the vendor work with us.
@k801809 That's the first honest answer I've gotten on the root of this issue... Thanks!

When will companies realize that, while service problems are always going to annoy customers, service problems combined with lies and misdirection (like the responses I received on the phone!) will make people angry and cost them customers in the long run.

I hope this gets resolved soon - especially since I upgraded my internet package specifically to allow V-o-D on both receivers simultaneously...

Last edited by 57; 2019-04-17 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Language.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-18, 10:42 AM

@k801809 I'll PM you my tracert results and other information.

I haven't tried to watch HD content but I will. In the past when my network has been slow, HD just wouldn't work below 5mbps - there would be glitches and pauses and buffering that made it unwatchable.

The other night we watched the last season of GoT in SD before watching the recorded final season premiere in HD. SD looked better than I remember with the exception of a few times the image was blocky and a few glitches (small pauses and jumps). The recorded episode was better image quality but not enormously like I would expect between streamed SD and recorded HD.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-18, 11:02 AM

My 630 has a wired connection to my network and indicates a 3.5Mbps connection. A followup speedtest on my laptop indicates closer to to 30Mbps even when I left youtube running during the test and it is a wireless connection.
Although it indicates it is below the threshold for HD I was able to stream an episode of a Bravo program in HD without issue. In my package I get a free PPV a month. The last time I tried to watch something in HD, January I believe, I gave up because the stream was so bad. I am reluctant to waste my time cueing up a PPV when it will be so bad.

LONSat
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-19, 09:46 AM

FWIW I did a speed test at 8am today: 4.1mbps not suitable for HD. I watched 5 minutes of an HD episode of GoT and it worked fine. Not definitive but hopeful. I know the speed goes way down in the evening so I'm not hopeful HD will work then - I'll try it tonight.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-20, 09:12 AM

I got 4.1Mbps around 11pm ET last night as well.

LONSat
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-04-22, 10:30 AM

I watched the latest SNL in HD and it was sorta OK. In the first half there were no video problems but a couple of tiny audio anomalies; in the second half the picture went blocky for about 15 seconds, there were audio glitches and playback stopped at one point (I had to press play to get it to go).

On the whole, I'd give the HD playback a D. SD would have been better.

Still, my connection used to be fast enough for HD. Sigh...
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-07, 02:02 PM

I've watched 4 episodes of Chernobyl in HD. The first two the speedtest said not suitable for HD and the second two said suitable. There was one glitch for a couple of seconds in the second two but generally all were OK. The first two were in the afternoon a couple of days ago and the last two were in the evening.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 2019-06-10, 12:44 PM

The last episode of Chernobyl was unwatchable in HD - buffering and audio drops. SD worked OK.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in