What About Watts - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-03-11, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Question What About Watts

My wife want me to turn off the 630 DVR when we leave the room to save money on electricity.

I contend that the 630 is never really "off"; still consuming electricity as long as it is plugged into the mains.

Is there any difference in the consumption of electricity between "OFF" and "ON"?

If so, how many Watts difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-03-11, 09:42 AM
Veteran

There is little or no difference. It's about 15w either way. The main reason for turning PVRs "off" is to allow updates which may not happen when "on."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-03-11, 10:00 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
It can depend on the DVR, however, @ExDilbert is correct that there is not a lot of difference. Some DVRs have the iHDD spin down (after a while) when they are "off" (in standby and not recording). In that case you might save say 5W, however, 5W is almost nothing for short periods of time like leaving the room and the iHDD rarely spins down right away. With most of the older equipment, the difference was only 1W. See the following thread on the subject of parasitic draws. You may wish to purchase or borrow a Watt meter.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/202...wer-draws.html

There are probably lots of other places in the home where you could save a lot more.

Although it's not the case for electronics like a DVR because they stay in standby, it's not really a good idea to turn most electronics on/off for short periods of time. (Most) electronics prefer to stay in one state or another and not constantly switching on/off. The contraction and expansion of the boards due to heat cause this damage. It's not as much of an issue with the latest electronics because they typically use less power and don't get as hot due to their design.

Although it's laudable to try to save energy, it's important to understand whether it's worthwhile and/or advantageous.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-03-11, 11:11 AM

Standby just disables the HDMI port, it doesn't actually turn "off", so you won't be gaining much (if anything) by powering down more often. The spec sheets I have (albeit from years ago) indicate that the HDPVR 630 consumes roughly 139 kWh/year.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-03-12, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralRouter View Post
My wife want me to turn off the 630 DVR when we leave the room to save money on electricity.

I contend that the 630 is never really "off"; still consuming electricity as long as it is plugged into the mains.

Is there any difference in the consumption of electricity between "OFF" and "ON"?

If so, how many Watts difference?
You want one of these. Measure any device in the house, really accurate usage vs. cost readings. I’ve probably cut 100kWh each month because of this thing. Adds up:
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4460-KILL...ANE80T80ZCTZT8
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-03-12, 04:16 PM
Veteran

The major difference between the on and off states with BDU PVRs is that it buffers the current channel to disk when on and stops buffering when off. That might account for the 1W of power saving cited above. Most of them don't allow the disk to go into standby but keep it spinning at all times. The 2.5" disk in the 630 does not consume much power even when active. The main advantage to turning the 630 off is that eliminating disk buffering will extend disk life to some extent.

Quote:
Standby just disables the HDMI port
It's not even clear it does that. Most BDU PVRs in this class simply blank the screen, similar to a PC screen saver. Turning the HDMI port off or putting it into a power saving state will result in a no signal message on many TVs. Blanking the screen will not.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2019-03-12, 05:03 PM

LOD continues while the 630 is powered down, as does the 830 (providing you haven't disabled LOD completely).

There is about a 1W difference as to when the fan is running versus not, but not standby versus "powered on", based on (previous) Energy Star and (more current) CEEVA testing.

I can confirm the HDMI port is completely disabled once the unit is put into standby.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in