Crave tv and Shaw Direct problem - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Crave tv and Shaw Direct problem

Hello all - I don't know if this is the correct thread for this issue, so please move if necessary.

I have always subscribed to Movie +HBO with Shaw Direct and now that the TMN is Crave, I thought ok great - let's try and watch Crave on say my Apple tv, iPhone or iPad. When I log in, I choose log in through TV Provider (Shaw Direct) - it takes me to the Shaw site where I enter my Shaw ID and password and then I get the message via Crave that that they are now connecting via my TV Provider. Once that's done anything I want to watch says I need a subscription. I can watch Crave or HBO via my satellite receiver, no problem at all. I have contacted Shaw Direct twice now through their chat feature and they can't understand why it won't work for me. According to them, it will work for them when they use my Shaw ID and password (I have my doubts about that). I thought, is it because I have all Macs? Nope, tried it on my Microsoft work computer and I run into the same problems - need a subscription. So - to test it out, I subscribed direct with Crave and used my credit card and voila - it works. Now I'll have to cancel as I don't want to pay twice for something I am supposed to get. Has anyone else run into this problem? I have to work up some energy to contact Shaw Direct again. I have emailed Crave about the problem but have yet to get any reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 02:48 PM

Perhaps try deleting the Crave app on you Apple TV and reinstalling it and then logging in again. Assuming you have the most recent app for Crave perhaps it is holding on to some old information from the old app in the app's cache preventing proper validation.

I can log into Crave ok on my PC at work and my Mac and I am a Shaw Direct subscriber. I don't think I have tried on my Apple Tv since the change though.

LONSat
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-12-11, 11:17 PM
Veteran

Can't say much about Apple TV, iPhone or iPad but there are a number of things that can prevent logging in on Android or Windows 10. That includes proxy services, privacy add-ons, script blockers and ad blockers. Changing certain privacy settings in the OS can also cause login failure.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

I thought it may be proxy services or my ad blocker but once I subscribed directly through Crave with my credit card it would work on all my devices. It just won't work when I log in using the button "Through TV Provider". So I'll fight it out again with Shaw Direct (phone call this time) and if they can't get it to work, I'll drop that add on with Shaw and just deal directly with Crave.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 04:44 PM

@Longmayirun an ad blocker may interfere with the login on a computer, etc. because there is probably some cross-site scripting going on. Crave is passing your connection to Shaw Direct to do the login and Shaw is passing your credentials for Crave. Crave never sees your password and Shaw doesn't see what you watch. I don't think that would interfere with an Apple TV.

You can try another specialty channel you subscribe to such as History, Showcase or Discovery to see if you can sign in to their streaming sites. If that doesn't work either, there is a general problem with your Shaw Direct login.

You can use the Shaw FreeRange app to watch Crave content on your mobile devices or computers, so you don't have to use the Crave app, but I don't think FreeRange supports Apple TV.

If you subscribe to Crave directly, you will no longer be able to watch HBO or Crave on your Shaw Direct boxes.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2018-12-12, 04:45 PM

I prefer using the on demand service with the receiver, but wish they could fix their bugs with that. The motion stutters a lot on any movement and their are constant audio dropouts and the stream freezing. Apparently these are being worked on according to Shaw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in