Shaw Direct /Shaw Cable Outage 2018-06-07 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 2018-06-07, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Shaw Direct /Shaw Cable Outage 2018-06-07

Happened approx 10 a.m. EDT. I Was Online Chat with SD.

Apparently a fibre cable was cut this morning by a contractor. This is the reason for some channels going blank or showing colour bars. There was no ETA for the repair. Perhaps a few hours, unsure. It also affected Shaw Cable as well. A geek discussion ensued with the online chat and I mentioned about redundancy links. They were working on that as well. I joked that expect customers to pay for the Capital costs for that project.

Here is the chat from SD:

Quote:
Aly: Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct Online Chat Support! This is Aly from our eCare
department, how are you today?
ld_in_on: ok I guess, did you see my message?
ld_in_on: Hello?
Aly: Sorry about that ld_in_on . Yes we are aware of the loss of channels. We are experiencing
it ourselves on our testing receivers. A technical team is working to restore the channels.
Aly: It started about 2 hours ago
ld_in_on: do you have an ETA for the fix? I know you were juggling channels around
today for MPEG4 realaignment and moving some channels to different birds
Aly: No ETA. And no the issue coincided with the MPEG4 migrations but is unrelated to them.
The issue is a broken optical wire. It could take a couple of hours to be fixed
ld_in_on: well, thanks for to update. Broken optical wire? is that terrstial or on the
birds?
Aly: No a company dug at the wrong place. we will sue them !!! (Kidding. We may just ask them
to do something for us for compensation I guess)
Aly: It's terrestrial. The signal is fully prepared on earth before it is sent to the satellites
Aly: You sound very technical. I like thas
Aly: I like that for a change. Are you an engineer ?
Aly: Such type of outage is very rare and so unlikely, we were stunned when it happene
Aly: happened *
Aly: And even Shaw Cable is affected by it by the way
ld_in_on: lol, that's fine. Hope the service is restored quickly. A fibre cuting is not just a
splice, gonna need some effort to repair. No, not an engineer, just and elder geek /hobbyist
retired from the geek world.
ld_in_on: At first I thought this was related to the 830 update, but then checked the
630 with same results. So not related to the software update.
Aly: Yeah a geek indeed. So I guess you had the same reflex like (redundancy back up lines )
Aly: No that was a coincidence a bad one as a matter of fact
ld_in_on: redundancy is the way to go, but NOT in the same location. Alternate loop.
Aly: No not related to the software upgrade.
Aly: Exactly. Some would put very far away. You have a good point there.
ld_in_on: time to up the budget for capital costs and get that loop going.
ld_in_on: and raise our rates to pay for it....lol
Aly: Exactly. Because regardless of the likelihood of such events, they hit very hard
Aly: Haha
Aly: That's the best part ld_in_on
Aly: Thanks for that
ld_in_on: not funny to me. anyway thanks for the chat.... have a great day.
Aly: You as well. No it's not funny for us either. I know

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in