Lots of Audio Drop-Outs - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-11-29, 12:22 AM

Just to echo the OP, I get picture break ups all the time on WPIX HD. I try to record the shows on Canadian channels instead, since I get several picture break ups an hour on WPIX HD. I actually get better signal strength (ecbno) on WPIX HD than on some of the Canadian channels, but I still get breakups on WPIX HD.

I also get the strange audio volume fluctuations on Showcase that someone else mentioned. It's not really an audio dropout, it's more of a sudden decrease of sound (if that makes sense).

I don't watch CNN very often, so I can't say if I've had any audio issues there.

I can't think of any other channels that I have consistent problems with. Just WPIX HD and Showcase HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-11-29, 01:57 PM

Noticed audio and video dropouts yesterday on Global were terrible! Had to record program on CBS as it could not be watched on Global? What is going on with this problem??
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-11-30, 04:07 AM
Rookie

Yep, in fact you can experience this wonderful audio level crap-out on many Corus (owned by Shaw) channels, like SHOWCASE, ACTION, and MOVIETIME. It will be there even on brand new episodes of TV shows like MR ROBOT. The value added feature is much different than an audio drop out, in fact it appears to be being done intentionally. You will NOT experience the effect during a commercial EVER. You probably wont even notice if using the speakers built in to the screen, but on a proper HiFi setup, it ranges from mildly distracting to downright catastrophic. These channels are ghetto class anyways so I'm not sure it even matters honestly. If you detected some frustration in my post, you win the interwebs!

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-12-01, 12:40 AM

I'm getting lots of dropouts as well, except the video is going with it...the "blocking" is getting worse over the last few weeks, mostly watching stuff off the DVR. It's getting to the point where I have to do a power button restart to get it going again. The last few times it has completely dropped the HDMI signal...the tv (not the 630) reports a signal loss.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-12-01, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, CBS especially has picture freezes. Lots of wacky stuff on numerous channels.
Is it the old Quantity or Quality decision how to allocate resources.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-12-02, 07:14 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser25 View Post
I'm getting lots of dropouts as well, except the video is going with it...the "blocking" is getting worse over the last few weeks, mostly watching stuff off the DVR. It's getting to the point where I have to do a power button restart to get it going again. The last few times it has completely dropped the HDMI signal...the tv (not the 630) reports a signal loss.
I'm in BC as well but I don't get any video issues at all. Are you sure you don't happen to have a defective HDMI cable or some sort of thing like that?
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-12-02, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen View Post
I'm in BC as well but I don't get any video issues at all. Are you sure you don't happen to have a defective HDMI cable or some sort of thing like that?
No, I'm not sure! However, I would expect an HDMI issue to be more consistent than what I'm experiencing. I'll troubleshoot this weekend. Thanks for the reply.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-12-02, 11:15 AM
Veteran

CBS Seattle has always been a problem channel, both on Shaw Direct and on Rogers. (They probably share the same feed from Shaw.) It was also a problem station on Bell TV when I had that. The station itself is a large part of the problem and I when it doen't mess things up it seems Shaw or Rogers manage to introduce even more problems. Shaw has never had good feeds from some US stations, probably due to misconfigured or lackluster head end equipment. Weather probably plays a role as well.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-12-02, 11:39 AM

This week I had a couple days of issues with channels that were on G1. Seems to have cleared up by itself. Was getting high 90's on F1 but signal dropped to mid sixties on G1. Things back to normal now.

LONSat
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-12-02, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser25 View Post
...I would expect an HDMI issue to be more consistent...
Yes. If it was an isolated case then maybe it's an HDMI cable problem, but this sounds like a "not subscriber" problem.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-12-03, 04:53 AM
Rookie

I suppose in theory the issue could also simply be a grounding failure. I recall reading that reducing interference can be at least as important as receiving a strong signal.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-12-03, 09:58 PM
Veteran

Or it could be that Shaw has an issue they are not addressing. Most customers won't notice the problem since it only affects Dolby sound. It was a very common issue with HD on all BDUs about 10 years ago. It's been cleaned up for the most part now that HD is mainstream.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-12-03, 10:54 PM
Rookie

So if that is the case, then SHAW has more than one feed from the satellites? One that they themselves pickup in various communities to retransmit over cable, and the other one that we pickup with our dishes? That seems strange but then again everything in this topsy turvy mixed up world does also. :-)

I happen to watch a bit of the Star Wars broadcasts on SHOWCASE this weekend and noticed the audio level issue was not happening at all.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 2017-12-04, 10:55 AM
Veteran

It's the same feed. At one time, almost all the cable systems in Canada used Shaw Direct for at least some of their channels. That started to change with HD, Shaw's notorious delay in adding a full HD lineup and as fibre was rolled out to most major cities. Some cable systems in eastern Canada get their feeds from Bell. (Ironic since Shaw Direct started out as Star Choice in Lincoln, New Brunswick) When Shaw Direct first added HD, their channels were riddled with audio and picture dropouts plus other technical issues. There were typically dozens of audio dropouts in every program. With the possible exception of TMN, I don't remember ever watching a HD show or movie that didn't have any audio dropouts. When Bell satellite started to expand their HD lineup, I switched to them.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 2018-06-24, 08:17 AM

Audio hiccups: I am noticing recurring audio hiccups on many channels. Mostly channels coming from G1, CBC News Network HD, gusto HD, BBC Earth, CBC Halifax HD are ones that I have noticed it most often of late. Not sure if its a G1 issue or an MPEG4/G1 issue but for the most part the video does not get interrupted by get a brief audio dropout.

Anyone else seeing this. My signal strength seems fine in clear and light to moderate rain conditions.

LONSat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in