Please help, newbie here with EZ question. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Please help, newbie here with EZ question.

Hi.

My mother lives in rural SW Ontario and I want to get her hooked up with a basic satellite package (the 24.95 per month basic package as legislated by the gummint).

I don't know which company to go with. We would have to purchase the dish and receiver and I can do the install myself.
I would prefer to find a good used receiver and there is no need at all for a PVR as Mom won't use it.

Can anyone provide some advice in terms of what company to go with (I was looking at Shaw, but when browsing Kijiji, almost all the receivers people are selling seem to be Bell) as well as things to watch out for. Many heartfelt thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 10:45 PM
Veteran

You can try Shaw Direct. They offer free dish installation, free PVR and one regular receiver free as well.
Shaw Direct offers first month free and Ontario package for $50 a month for 6 months.
After that you can switch to starter package. If your parents do not need second receiver then register only the PVR as Shaw Direct charges $5.99 for second receiver. I think there is an additional charge for adding american networks when switching to starter package.
You can visit their website or call them for more info.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

awesome, thanks, I am in an online chat right now with Shaw. Now I dont think it makes sense to try and save a few bucks by buying a used receiver.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-04, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

So I signed up. The Digital Advantage" pkg which is one up from Starter at 39.99 a month. The rep told me we could switch to Starter after 2 months with no penalty including regarding the free receiver.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-05, 11:13 AM

Are you letting Shaw Direct do their free installation or are you doing it yourself?
Letting them do it covers the DOA question.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-05, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

A Shaw-authorized contractor will be installing it. I am a little concerned about some tall trees to the SW of her property so I will be asking/requesting that they mount the dish as high up as possible on her 40 foot TV tower. My estimate is that "beam" will barely clear the tops of those trees or might be just below the top so there could be reduced reception right from the get-go.

Question: how long can the cable be from the dish to the receiver? We might end up putting the dish at the back of her property.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-05, 12:37 PM

125' should not be an issue if they use good quality RG6.

Getting an installer to climb a 40' tower would be the hard part in my opinion, i would walk away if I were the installer and that was the only location.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-06, 07:30 AM

Right, let the installer do a site survey and then talk about options. I have my (SD installed) dish located head-high on a 6x6 post I put up about 100' from the house with cable trenched in (I did the trenching). Plenty of signal. BTW, as long as I was trenching I ran a extra RG6 cable un-terminated from the post to the basement - just in case.

Consider dish access when wet snow covers the dish, the wind blows it out of position, 20 Lb bird sit on it, etc
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-06, 12:49 PM

OMG! A 40 Foot Tower would be like a Sail in any kind of wind. The dish would easily be out of alignment. If possible keep it low like the gents suggest here, and "shoot" between the trees.

Regards,
Jim
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-07, 12:02 AM

Also, you can't clear snow off it if it's 40' up.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-07, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJoe View Post
Also, you can't clear snow off it if it's 40' up.
You could always add a Dish Heater though.....
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-07, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well it wont be at the top of the 40 foot tower. The tower is less than a foot away from the eavestrough (which makes it easy to get on the roof) and they can stand on the roof while mounting the dish on the tower. I already made a mounting bracket for the installers out of 1/4" plate steel and will be bolting that to the tower before they arrive. It ain't gonna move. :-) The dish will then be at least 17 feet off the ground and can be easily accessed. (by me, not Mom, as she is over 80). I really want them to install it there as there are no other options and using a 6x6 post at the back corner of the property will not get the line of sight over the tops of the trees......
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-07, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidood1 View Post
...I already made a mounting bracket for the installers out of 1/4" plate steel...
That dish ain't gunna move on that hunk of steel.

Have you already drilled holes in the plate to match the dish mounting bracket on your shop bench or will the installer drill the holes while on the roof? Do you think you will need to supply some stainless steel nuts, bolts, and lock washers?

You are a good son
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-07, 06:08 PM

I still worry about scraping off the snow 17 feet in the air, standing on a snowy roof.

But what do I know about snow here in Lotus Land...

Regards,
Jim
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-07, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I am not gong to worry about the snow....I used to have a StarChoice years ago and not once did we ever lose reception due to snow on the dish...at least as I recall.....and that was in an area where the amount of annual snowfall was 3-4 times where Mom is... she is down in the banana belt.

No I havent drilled holes in the bracket....I wanted to but I dont have the dimensions of the bolt pattern. If the installers aren't able to drill 4 holes thru 1/4" steel they shouldn't be installing. I will make sure they dont have to do this while standing at the edge of the roof...I think I will just give them the bracket and make sure they have an easy way of mounting the bracket to the tower after they drill the holes in it for the dish mount.. But I'm going to have my cobalt drill bits handy just in case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in