Please help, newbie here with EZ question. - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-07, 06:59 PM

Sounds like you have everything well thought out. Please post a photo of the completed installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-08, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidood1 View Post
Well it wont be at the top of the 40 foot tower. The tower is less than a foot away from the eavestrough (which makes it easy to get on the roof) and they can stand on the roof while mounting the dish on the tower. I already made a mounting bracket for the installers out of 1/4" plate steel and will be bolting that to the tower before they arrive. It ain't gonna move. :-) The dish will then be at least 17 feet off the ground and can be easily accessed. (by me, not Mom, as she is over 80). I really want them to install it there as there are no other options and using a 6x6 post at the back corner of the property will not get the line of sight over the tops of the trees......
Your setup is similar to the one I did nearly 20 years ago when we moved into the current place. I had a ham radio 64ft tower put in (because I have lots of stuff to go on it). The SD dish is bolted to a steel plate, that's bolted to the tower a little under 20ft up the tower.

This ain't no crappy TV tower, so there's really no discernible wind sway even at the top, and especially not where the dish is. I'd say in the 20'ish years it's been up, the number of times we've had to worry about snow is maybe once per year on average, and it's usually on those milder wet snow days, and it doesn't stay long. I've never felt the need to worry about removing it. However, lower latitudes (where there might be a slightly more upward angle) could be more of a concern.

I think you have a fine plan, although the installers will probably be using battery-powered drills and aging drill bits. So you having your own set handy will be appreciated. I'd also recommend buying a bag of good quality, long tie wraps, and ask the installer to tie the cables to the tower legs every couple of feet. More than about 4 feet and, over time, the cables will loosen a smidge and bash against the tower on windy days. That may drive you nuts (and isn't really good for the cable). :-)

If you get to talk to the installers in advance, make sure you let them know what the plan is. Maybe even attempt to send pictures. Some installers may not have proper safety gear for tower-climbing and may not be comfortable with the plan. They do have the right to refuse to proceed if they don't feel safe, which will waste time trying to find a better-equipped installer.

Brad.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-10, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks.

The plate is now installed. The guys will have to climb the tower until they reach the eavestrough and then step over 12 inches onto the roof. Its only about 10-1/2 feet above ground level and the roof only has a slight incline. Should be a total cakewalk for them.
I also used a carpenters level app on my phone and checked that the signal would not be obstructed by the trees, and we are good there. I was even able to predrill the 4 mounting holes in the plate for the installers, I got lucky, the neighbour has a fairly new Shaw dish screwed to the side of their house so I got the bolt pattern measurements off that.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-11, 12:18 AM

@Skidood
I do private installs for Bell and Shaw.
In Ontario, Bell does not permit their installers on a roof. So I doubt very much they will allow an installer to climb your Tower.
I have a proper safety belt for Towers, and have done many tower satellite dish installs over the years.
When properly secured, a dish will not move like a sail, as some posters on here have said.
My In-Law's Bell dish is at the top of a 40 foot tower (installed by me in July 2013) and we till have 100% signal!
Having said all that, I agree with the others that you want the dish as low as possible, so you can clear snow off in the winter. Avoid the tower install at all costs.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-11, 12:31 AM

Also, you don't need the 1/4" steel plate.
Some installers (inc. myself) carry Channel Master U-bolts that fit thru the satellite dish mounting pole's bracket, and securely attach the satellite mounting pole to the antenna tower.
Google Channel Master CM-9017
Quick, easy, and secure.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-11, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

We dont have a choice in terms of dish location. If the installers dont want to climb 10 feet up a x-brace tower and step onto the roof I will just tell them to either use a ladder to get onto the roof or just stand there playing with themselves while I bolt it on myself. I will be disgusted and flabbergasted if they are not willing to do this. The dish mount would be right in front of them and they dont even need to stand right at the edge of the roof and the tower is right in front of them too.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-11, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Nope...the tower is not made of tube..its an x-brace tower so for lack of a better description, the cross section of the 3 main structural members looks like a squiggly u-shaped line The mount I provided was from stuff I had kicking around and is 10x stronger than the tower structure members themselves. I will perhaps take a photo next week when the the dish is up.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 2017-08-11, 10:19 AM

It's actually very common for companies to not permit their installers on roofs. I know Bell (the phone side) doesn't anymore. I've talked to installers over the year, and the companies were getting too many injury reports from installers falling off roofs, or roof damage being done due to a crappy state of the roof itself and then the company being hassled about the damage. So it's earlier for them to say "no roofs!".

The ladder thing is more likely, because it's their own and they know how safe it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in