4K Discussions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By Dr.Dave
  • 2 Post By airmaster360

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-05-06, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

4K Discussions

HI,

Anyone hav.e any idea when we might see 4K on SD? I know Rogers has it and there is some content on Netflix but just curious as to how far it might be and it could influence my buying decision on a new TV.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-05-06, 04:01 PM
Veteran

Probably never. Both Satellite providers seem to be in a non compete attitude these days and have no interest in staying competitive. Bell wastes all there time and money on Fibe and Shaw does the same with Shaw Cable, yet the only two services that actually service Canada coast to coast is doing nothing to upgrade. What we have now will probably remain the status quo for the next 5-10 years until they finally shut down.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-05-06, 06:09 PM

There are 3 major issues Shaw Direct has to address to provide a 4K service - bandwidth, hardware and content.

Bandwidth - they are in the midst of converting SD to HD MPEG-4 and removing SD duplicates, which should be complete by 2019. See:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-s...-mpeg-4-a.html

Hardware - Shaw Direct is in the unique position of developing their own hardware, which includes new hardware capable of handling 4K. I think the next PVR they develop will be 4K-compatible, but who knows when that will be. Most other Canadian providers use commercially available hardware from third parties (although Rogers and Bell Fibe were on the bleeding edge in working with their hardware providers.)

Content - Most 4K content is limited to specific Canadian home games on TSN and Sportsnet - NHL, MLS, Blue Jays and Raptors. Don't expect American series anytime soon, although Bell Media has committed to producing all new Canadian series in 4K. There are also a handful of 4K movies available for rental.

I wouldn't expect anything before 2019, if ever.

In addition to Rogers, Bell Fibe TV, Bell Aliant, Telus Optik TV and Videotron all offer 4K. Noticeably absent is Shaw Cable because their supplier (Comcast) isn't ready to make the move.
Leafs13 and NovaMan like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-05-06, 07:00 PM

Forget another 4K from the networks and cable / satellite providers. The future of 4K is streaming. Pretty much everything Netflix produces now is 4K with many HDR as well.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-05-06, 08:21 PM

I think they should upgrade to 1080p first before even considering 4K, tv channels are still 720p
Leafs13 and Gboutin like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2017-05-07, 12:09 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
@airmaster360 : Actually TV channels are 720P and 1080i. See FAQ below: 1080i actually upconverts very well in 1080P TVs/STBs since it's just a matter of deinterlacing. That's why there's not really a huge benefit to 1080P for broadcasting since it takes a lot of extra bandwidth for very little visual benefit.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-5...v-formats.html

Shaw Direct just passes what they get from the broadcasters, be it 720P or 1080i. Since there is very little 4k content available and no channels are 1080P, there is no need for 1080P capability at this time for Shaw Direct.

@Dr.Dave has addressed the various issues regarding 4K very well in post 3 of this thread.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Tags
4k tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in