Compatible Universal Remote with Dedicated CC button? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By CrispyPotato
  • 1 Post By 57
  • 1 Post By ExDilbert

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-24, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Compatible Universal Remote with Dedicated CC button?

Has anyone found a universal remote that works with Shaw Direct and has a button for closed captioning?

5 steps with Shaw's remote to get to CC is too many.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-24, 10:36 PM

When watching a show press Help then C to turn on captions, and the same to turn them off. Works on the 6xx series of receivers but not sure on any others.
Pidge and NovaMan like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-24, 11:46 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
In the "before time", the TV did the CC and it only required one button press. With digital STBs the process is totally different. You could probably purchase a programmable remote like a Harmony (650?) and programme in a macro that would do all the steps following one button press.

The Harmony is an activity based remote, so if you have an AVR or other equipment, it's very easy to press say "Watch TV" and it turns everything on, tunes to the correct input, etc. Also "off" turns everything off.

FYI, on Rogers it's 3 button presses for a recorded programme and 7-8 button presses for a live programme to get CC. Not much fun.
Pidge likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-25, 11:13 AM
Veteran

I second the recommendation for a Harmony 650. For a relatively simple TV setup it's a good solution. A complex A/V setup might require one of their more expensive remotes. Just define a macro to send the sequence of keystrokes required to turn CC on (and another to turn CC off.) That can also be done as part of the activity setup by adding extra commands.
Pidge likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-25, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyPotato View Post
When watching a show press Help then C to turn on captions, and the same to turn them off. Works on the 6xx series of receivers but not sure on any others.
Thanks, CrispyPotato! I never knew that. Works on my receiver.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-26, 10:21 AM

Just two steps now it seems. I don't think you would be needing any universal remote now.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2017-02-26, 01:10 PM

speaking of captions, when the current guide was launched, the options for caption color, opacity, and background went away. The font size and style remain, but it's white text with solid black background only. I used yellow text with opaque background. I'm not hearing impaired, but captions are helpful when people speak lowly or in a garbled way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in