Shaw Direct to transition to full MPEG-4 - See Post 1 - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-21, 10:19 PM

ok, that's what I expected. Thanks. It will accompany my Tivo Series 2 perfectly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-22, 03:52 AM

Any idea if this 'transition' would include Shaw stopping older, DSR505's from receiving TV Guide listing data? Yesterday, my trusty old DSR505 was getting guide data for all channels the unit was capable of receiving. Sometime last night (Sunday, May 21) all the listings went to "NO DATA".
I know the receiver isn't MPEG4 capable, but I thought all the SD channels were still going to be broadcast in MPEG2, hence, the receiver is useful as a SD unit.
That's actually how I use it, paired with an older, Tivo Series 2 DVR, an SD only recorder.
I knew Shaw wanted people to upgrade their receivers if for nothing more than to get HD channels and sell some 600 series units, but I didn't think they were going to stop supplying listings.
Any idea if this is intentional, or just a hiccup?
post #78 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-22, 06:37 AM

The NO DATA situation happens time to time. Either wait for it to resolve or try a reboot.

LONSat

post #79 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-23, 02:25 AM

yup, about 6am, data started populating the listings again. weird. thanks.
post #80 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-06-28, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Any everyone must believe without question what anyone at Shaw says?

Legacy hardware is an impediment to adopting MPEG4. Current users must either buy or be provided with new hardware. That's a large expense for either customers or Shaw and it could drive away subscribers.

Better reasons:
#1. MPEG4 reduces satellite costs.
#2. MPEG4 is required to meet CRTC requirements for local carriage.
#3. MPEG4 is required to compete with other BDUs.
I am glad that many of you are so confident in Shaw that you believe that they are doing this to improve their service to their customers.

Shaw says themselves that step 1 is to upgrade the LNB in order to be able to receive G1.

Shaw could have planned on updating inside equipment only, and then moving those cannels to F1R or F2. But instead, Shaw has chosen not to do so, and then leave the transponders open for future use?

Shaw could have placed locals and PPV on the new satellite, but they decided to have more desired HD channels, which would eventually become the only feed of those channels.

Space on the G1 extended Ku Canada beam would not be as valuable to other possible services as F1 or F2 because of their being receivable in mostly all of North America. Also, if Shaw had wanted to keep those transponders on F2, they could have done the MPEG4 upgrade in 2013, and not used G1 at all, which would have meant there would have been no LNB upgrade for the majority of their customers.

The 111.1 slot, Anik F2, which is a satellite whose signal is available in all of Canada, USA, and most of Mexico.

F2 is already used for Wildblue satellite Internet service in the USA.

It will be possible to convert F2 for other purposes, such as Internet services, that could serve customers in mostly all of North America.

It is nice to believe that Shaw is doing this to improve their services to their existing customers, but I am afraid they will save on the bandwidth that can be sold to the highest bidder. Hopefully, they will make more money from not using so much bandwidth on than satellites that it will more than offset the loss the customers that they will lose who will just go to another provider.
post #81 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-06-28, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Shaw doesn't actually own any of the Satellites, they lease space. It's tough to say whether or not some of the unused space on Anik F1R or F2 will be leased to other customers. As compression improves, there is likely going to be little need for all the transponder space. I truly believe in the next few years, you are going to see many stations cease operations including local and specialty channels. TV consumption is rapidly changing and even though rural areas may not have the same access to new media as urban areas, the rural customers alone will not be able to support the 100s of local and specialty channels. I believe Corus has already mentioned they plan on clawing back on the amount of specialty channels they run in the next few years.
post #82 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-08-09, 06:55 PM
Rookie

NFL Network HD in September. Finally.
stephimoe likes this.
post #83 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-08-21, 05:30 PM

With the current conversion to Mpeg 4 (freeing up bandwidth) this year, and now that NFL Sunday Ticket is not available to Cable, Satellite providers does this offer Shaw Direct more bandwidth sooner than they might have expected? Or in the past seasons would NFL Sunday Ticket share bandwidth Shaw Direct used for NHL Centre ice, during the fall, winter?
post #84 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-08-21, 10:08 PM

I believe Sunday Ticket just displaced some of the PPV channels when needed. So it doesn't really free up any space sooner.

LONSat
post #85 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-08-22, 12:47 PM
Veteran

Seasonal sports networks usually share the same channels. They are remapped as needed to carry current offerings and provide subscriber access. As LONSat stated, that can also involve reallocating or suspending other PPV programming when extra channels are required for sporting events.
post #86 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-08-29, 04:14 PM

Projected Final transition channel map

Is the final projected channel map for the G1 bird available somewhere? I have the ones for F1 and F2 but not G1.

Thanks!
post #87 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-08-29, 04:41 PM

For the most part G1 is not going to be impacted by the MPEG4 conversion. No channels are (planned to be) moving from F1R or F2 to G1. When they drop the western StdDef version of some speciality channels the exisitng HD version will only be found on G1, Comedy, Family and a couple other channels are impacted like this (in 2019). The current lineup on G1 is what it is and it would only be channel additions that potentially get put there. I believe G1 is pretty full as it is.

LONSat
post #88 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-08-29, 06:09 PM

Thanks LONsat. Then is there someplace to see the complete list of channels that are on G1?
post #89 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-08-29, 06:32 PM

Try the links on this page

Shaw Broadcast Services - Channel Charts

LONSat
post #90 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-08-29, 08:03 PM

That's perfect - Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in