Shaw Direct to transition to full MPEG-4 - See Post 1 - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-04-17, 11:41 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The Canadian Government, or whoever oversees the Canadian Satellite providers, does not allow Canadian Satellite providers to send signals "into" the US. The signals should "stay" in Canada. Due to differences in equipment, Bell was much quicker to come into compliance and Shaw Direct will be in compliance in a couple of years.

This is discussed more in the following thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-s...-post-1-a.html

Specifically: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-s...ml#post2865377

Of course, with Satellite, it's impossible to prevent some stray signals slightly south of Canada, however the transponder pattern is adjusted to minimize the "stray" signals south.

This is off-topic for this thread and has been discussed extensively in this forum, specifically the thread links above. Let's please stick to the topic of this thread, which is MPEG-4 transition.
gzink likes this.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 01:17 PM
Veteran

Free up F2, I don't see it.

As I see it, and they have stated, the primary reason for their transition to all MPEG4 is their legacy hardware is no longer serviceable.
post #63 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-04-20, 03:10 PM
Veteran

Any everyone must believe without question what anyone at Shaw says?

Legacy hardware is an impediment to adopting MPEG4. Current users must either buy or be provided with new hardware. That's a large expense for either customers or Shaw and it could drive away subscribers.

Better reasons:
#1. MPEG4 reduces satellite costs.
#2. MPEG4 is required to meet CRTC requirements for local carriage.
#3. MPEG4 is required to compete with other BDUs.
michaelb likes this.

post #64 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 01:04 PM
Veteran

I mean their hardware, at their uplinks and all. Some of it might be nearing 20 years.

Yes I know the benefits of MPEG4. They don't have to get rid of F2. They can keep using it and add more channels, in HD probably.
post #65 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 04:23 PM
Veteran

That's why I dumped Shaw. They don't upgrade anything until they are forced to, provide inferior products in the interim and then they try to make their customers pay for the consequences of their own short sighted planning. Shaw has to be the least progressive BDU in North America.
post #66 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-04-21, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

That is definitely true of Shaw Direct but Shaw Cable has far better hardware than other BDUs like Rogers. The gateway was a much better whole home solution than the Rogers Nextbox.
andyk, Shaw Champ and Obed like this.
post #67 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-06, 05:41 PM

"Exclusive Discount" Letter

In the last week of April, I received Shaw Direct's Notification Letter that my 530 is not compatible with the upgraded network and needs to be replaced before June 6, 2017 to avoid losing HD Channels. The letter mentions an "exclusive discount" to replace older HD equipment without saying what it is.

Interestingly, the week before receiving the letter, I had phoned Shaw Direct about the notice of the pending change on the 530's guide. The initial offer (as mentioned earlier in this thread) was $50 off the purchase of a new 630. My diplomatic response (I did not get angry - as a negotiating tactic - that rarely is effective) was that, although the 530 was released 12 years ago and is obsolete, the 630 was released 7 years ago and also is obsolete. Simply put, a 630 is not worth $200, so a $50 dollar discount offer is, quite frankly, insulting. Shaw Direct needs to do better.

In response, the initial customer rep offered to direct me to client retention (? - I think I got the title right) which I accepted and thanked him for (please remember the person on the other end of the line is just trying to do his or her job - he or she is not the clown that comes up with these policies - the rep is merely trying to implement them).

First thing the client retention rep confirmed was the package I had (a higher package) and how long I was a customer (almost 20 years). His offer was a $200 rebate off of a purchase of 630 (i.e., I pay $249.99 plus the applicable tax on $249.99 but receive $200 back; $62.49 all in ignoring any provincial tax). My negotiating target was to pay only $50 plus tax (i.e., $52.50 ignoring any provincial tax) - this is was what I paid for my other 630s and 605s in 2011 when I upgraded them from 500 series receivers (why would I pay more for equipment that is now obsolete?). However, considering how easy this was (a large part due to my package and customer history), I accepted the offer (I got 95% of what I wanted without any pain).

The take away is that you can do better than their initial offer. How much better will be dependent upon of how desirable of a customer you are (i.e., package and length as a customer). My sense are the parameters are consistent with the offers that they made in 2011 when the 630 was released and Shaw Direct was trying to convince customers to upgrade their equipment. My gut reaction is that the best you are going to do is $50 plus tax. However, consistent with 2011, I do think there is a limit of how many receivers they will offer a single customer at that discounted price (it was 2 in 2011 - although I was able to get 3 at that price).
post #68 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-09, 04:19 PM

I have a 630 and a 530. In response to that notification letter, which I also received, I phoned Shaw in the hope that they'd swap my 530 for another 630 under the warranty, since they weren't replacing 530s with 530s anymore anyway. Our 530 was misbehaving for some time and it was the push I needed to do something about it. They made the swap and in fact said that I didn't even have to return the 530 to them. It would be decommissioned. That's what happens to old Shaw receivers and and old submarines I guess. For what it's worth, when the 630s were first rolled out, I had lots of trouble with them. We bought a new one initially and it had to be replaced within weeks as it had a lot of problems. It was replaced three times altogether with new units. Then a number of months later, we had to have it replaced yet again. And they wouldn't give us a new one this time. The used one they sent is the one that functioned the best. So getting the used 630 for our poor old 530 with free shipping is certainly a good solution.
Leafs13 likes this.
post #69 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-20, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

More comprehensive information for Shaw Direct customers is available on their site now including conversion schedule and launch schedule for 2017

HD Network Upgrade Conversion Schedule/Launch Schedule
Shaw Direct - HD network upgrade: conversion schedule

Learn More About to HD Network Upgrade
Shaw Direct - Learn more about the HD network upgrade

HD Network Upgrade Outdoor Equipment
Shaw Direct - HD network upgrade: Outdoor equipment
Dr.Dave and tvmaster like this.
post #70 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-21, 01:29 AM

Any idea what satellite channel 137, Movitime, Classic East lineup is broadcast from, or if it's mpg2 or mpg4? My trusty old DSR505 doesn't seem to receive it, but my DSR6** series units do. So that would be an mpg2 vs. mpg4 situation?
post #71 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-21, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Pretty sure MovieTime is MPEG-4 and is located on F1R, Transponder 1. I believe Nat Geo WILD and FX are also MPEG-4 and located on the same transponder along with 2x MPEG-2 TSN feeds.
post #72 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-21, 10:38 AM
Veteran

I can concur. Movietime HD is only on my 6xx receivers.
post #73 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-21, 10:48 AM

Post 1 has a link to Shaw Broadcast Services that has a spreadsheet "Current F1R F2 Traffic Plan" showing those satellites with the channel locations by transponder and includes MPEG-2 / MPEG-4 status.

The info that @bigoranget posted matches Shaw's spreadsheet.

That spreadsheet is the starting point, but you will have to take into account any subsequent changes.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-05-21 at 11:58 AM.
post #74 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-21, 03:05 PM

so...5** series receivers are mpeg2 only then, correct?
post #75 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-05-21, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yes, the 500, 505 and 530 are MPEG-2 only. The 500 series receiver already is obsolete because it could not decode 8PSK, it's essentially an SD only receiver now. By the fall of this year many of the existing MPEG-2 HD channels on F1R and F2 will no longer be accessible via the DSR505 and DSR530 thus making them SD only receivers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in