Shaw Direct to transition to full MPEG-4 - See Post 1 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 119 (permalink) Old 2016-04-01, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

The comparability isn't with the TV's, it's with the older legacy receivers that are unable to decode an MPEG-4 signal. The legacy receivers are only capable of decoding MPEG-2 signals (SD or HD). Once the compression changes to MPEG-4, all the legacy receivers will be unable to decode the video signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 119 (permalink) Old 2016-04-13, 12:27 AM

I imagine that this will mean that LTSS users will be upgraded from legacy receivers to the 600.
post #33 of 119 (permalink) Old 2016-04-13, 09:56 AM

@bubbaspeed Here's the info from the LTSS thread. There is no money in the LTSS budget for free receiver upgrades, so I wouldn't be surprised if LTSS ends at that date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
Shaw Direct will continue to operate the LTSS service for installed households at no charge, until at least August 31, 2019, which coincides with Shaw Direct’s current Licence period.
I took a quick look at the schedule and it looks like they are dropping at least some local SD OTA stations prior to that date, so it's possible that they overlooked LTSS and may have to adjust their schedule.

I'm not sure if the August 2019 date is a legal commitment. I recall that LTSS was supposed to run 5 years from the original date, so there may be some wiggle room.

Shaw Direct could continue LTSS and let users pay for their own 600 receivers.

post #34 of 119 (permalink) Old 2016-04-13, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

A lot of LTSS customers already have DSR600 equipment. I know at least 2 people that are on this program and they both have DSR600s
post #35 of 119 (permalink) Old 2016-04-20, 08:49 PM
Rookie

This is quite interesting. I am usually happy with the picture quality from Shaw, but every now and then with some fast motion i can spot the compression artifcacts (macroblocking usually) and it annoys me. But it's not always consistent, even on the same channel. It's as though they change the amount of compression (or compression type) on some channels.

Is there a list of which channels are in mpeg-4 vs mpeg-2?

-Fizz
post #36 of 119 (permalink) Old 2016-04-21, 10:03 AM

This list of Shaw Direct channels places a square by every MPEG-4 channel:

http://media.shawdirect.ca/uploadedf...c-channels.pdf
post #37 of 119 (permalink) Old 2016-04-25, 01:33 PM
Veteran

Not entirely accurate.

32 to 35 (some Toronto HD locals) are MPEG2 (for now). 36 to 39 (the rest of Toronto HD locals) are indeed MPEG4. Movietime HD is also MPEG4.

I am not sure about other channels.
post #38 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-01-15, 12:41 AM

Looks like we are just a few months away from when the transition will start. Any word on Shaw Direct offering any free (or discounted) receiver upgrades?
post #39 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-01-15, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Based on past transitions, I highly doubt the receivers will be free. This years transition only affects HD signals as does next year. For the majority of non HD subs, there won't be any need to swap out equipment this year. I believe the only HD capable receiver not capable of MPEG-4 is the DSR530 as the DSR500 was already rendered obsolete when the HD channels transitioned from QPSK and 8PSK modulation. I can't imagine there are many active DSR530s out there since that receiver was plagued with software and hardware issues. I'd imagine most either upgraded to the DSR630 or switched providers.

There will probably be a small number of subs that need to go to a 600 series receiver and/or get an LNB upgrade to access the xKu signals from Anik G1. As for 2019, that will require an upgrade for any remaining subs on 300 and 400 series receivers. I'm guessing Shaw Direct will charge around $30 per receiver to upgrade and perhaps around $100 for the PVR. They will likely also charge for the xKu upgrade too.
post #40 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-01-15, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I believe the only HD capable receiver not capable of MPEG-4 is the DSR530 as the DSR500 was already rendered obsolete when the HD channels transitioned from QPSK and 8PSK modulation.
The DSR505 supports 8PSK and is still operational with MPEG2 HD channels. I have one and it's still chugging along. I believe the DSR505 replaced the DSR500 solely for it's 8PSK support.
post #41 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 12:28 AM

yup, my DSR505 also receives channels 252 to 298, all in HD. However, a Shaw CSR told me it now cannot be sold or transferred / activated on any account besides mine, as they want to retire those units. Seems extreme to take away our right to sell perfectly good units. Also, they are offering DSR600's for $99 as a trade-in for the 505, which, considering he 600 has no front display, and minimal outputs, isn't really a very nice offer to a customer who's been around long enough to own a 505. Even worse, you can find 600's on Kajiji for $50 all the time. I have.
Shaw finding new ways to frustrate and anger long-time clients...
post #42 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 12:46 AM

tvmaster, call up and talk to their cancellation/loyalty department. They can offer deals that the regular customer service people can't. If you go through the telephone prompts there should be one to cancel service.

I think it makes sense that they aren't going to allow the 505 to be sold/activated any longer. It's slowly going to start losing HD channels in just a few months, and then it will start to lose SD channels. I think Shaw Direct just wants to avoid people unloading their old gear on people who don't know the receivers will be gradually turned into a paperweight.
post #43 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I forgot about the DSR505. I couldn't remember if the 500 series had a 505 model. I know there was a DSR605 receiver which has since been retired. That one featured more options for outputs and had a front display. That would have been a suitable replacement for the DSR505. If I remember correctly the DSR600 is simply coaxial out and HDMI out only.

$99 seems steep considering this receiver is 6-7 years old now. I figured they would offer it for $30-$50 per unit to upgrade.
post #44 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-01-17, 09:13 AM

Question 730

That begs the questions as to when there will be a replacement receiver(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
... $99 seems steep considering this receiver is 6-7 years old now.
post #45 of 119 (permalink) Old 2017-01-18, 12:36 PM
Veteran

The 600 has composite video/stereo audio, as well as analog RF out, and HDMI.

Age of a receiver design does not dictate price. So long as its function is current, that is what it is worth. It may drop when something is out there to functionally replace it.

ETA: The 505/530 are the same for MPEG2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in