Low Audio on NBC HD Stations - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Low Audio on NBC HD Stations

I have a 605 receiver, and for the last while I've been experiencing low audio levels on NBC Detroit and NBC Seattle HD, channels 320 and 325. The other main US HD networks have "regular" audio levels.

I have access to other NBC affiliates as well via other setups, and on these sources, the NBC levels seem fine, so it's just via Shaw Direct I have issues. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-20, 10:22 AM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
yes plus recorded programs all need an upward adjustment
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-20, 12:51 PM

Now that you mention it, my A/V receiver volume control button is always in use. 99% of my viewing is is recordings.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-21, 11:55 AM

This is one of the things I liked about Shaw when I switched from Bell: Bell had the show volume set very low so I had to crank the volume then the commercials would be blaring. I didn't have to do that with Shaw.

Recently I've noticed I have to tweak the volume on Shaw more than before.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-21, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

So far I've only emailed them about the issue, and after trying a few things like changing the audio mode to PCM, nothing has been resolved, and now they've told me to call them to troubleshoot.

But if others are experiencing this, it must be on their end, and not my equipment. And while I do have different audio levels for different inputs, I can't see how my A/V would be changing the audio level on different channels itself so drastically (and I don't think it has an auto volume-level feature to normalize the volume for the same input).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-22, 12:54 PM

Exclamation Audio: Too much of a good thing is a bad thing

I agree.

Most A/V receivers and sat receivers can each compress the audio volume range (low to high volume), but your A/V receiver doesn't normalize audio input comparing with other input devices. Maybe an A/V receiver could be designed to do so, (Automatic Volume Control), but I am not aware of it.

It isn't a big deal with me. All I ask is that they don't crank up the audio so much that it relies on their equipment to prevent clipping and not get into compression.

Given the choice, I would much rather have an audio signal that was too low than too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonizer View Post
But if others are experiencing this, it must be on their end, and not my equipment.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2016-03-30, 09:36 PM

I do not get this problem on my 605. Those channels have similar volume levels to other channels.

I run hdmi from the 605 to the TV and optical audio from the TV to the sound system.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in