800 Series Discussions - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-06-27, 01:29 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The issue is similar on all providers. People start having issues with their Rogers PVRs if they go beyond about 80% full. The customers would complain if the firmware started deleting at 75-80% and customers complain if it doesn't. It's a no win for the provider.

I actually try to keep mine below 50% to avoid any issues and I never have any issues. Provider PVRs are to be considered time-shifting devices and not archives, so if you keep old material on your PVR or run it beyond 80%, any issues or lost recordings are basically on you. (As mentioned above, it's the same for computers)

I'm not sure how the Shaw Direct PVRs work, but with Rogers there are several options and one of them is based on time and the programme will auto-destruct after that period of time (1, 2, 7, 14 days). The other options we have are "until space is required" and "until I delete". The latter is what I use, but others prefer other options...

The 1TB drive in my Rogers PVR would allow me to have well over 100 HD recordings while still staying under 80% full.

Another issue that can crop up is the PVR functionality slowing down if you have a large number of recordings on the PVR. Each time you wish to access/set recordings, a large number of recordings/scheduled recordings will slow down that access.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-06-28, 10:46 AM

The 630 only has the option to either keep or delete oldest first options.
I have it set to delete until space is required because I want it to manage itself and delete the old shows as needed.
If the receiver needs 15% of available space to work properly then update the code so that when the disk is at 75% capacity it shows its full at 100% and people will not complain because they will assume it is full.

I hope the new receiver will be more inteligent managing recordings than the 630.
post #63 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-06-28, 12:05 PM

The 630 is like any piece of electronic computing equipment in that if will function but perhaps not optimally unless the end user does some basic maintenance.

On a computer clearing caches, clearing temp files, optimising/defragmenting drives is often an end user task. A computer much like the 630 will function but perhaps not smoothly with a drive that is almost full, keeping the Hard Drive below the optimal capacity is an end user responsibility. Why they allow them to go above that would accommodate people who go on vacation etc. It is probably not envisioned operating the disk at nearly full capacity would be a be a permanent operating state but a temporary one.

LONSat

post #64 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-07-10, 12:49 PM
Rookie

I noticed that the 800 and 830 models are now available for ordering on the Shaw site. The link to the user manual still downloads the old 600 series manual so I couldn't see any detailed information.
post #65 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-07-10, 05:12 PM
Veteran

They are not a rumor any more. I saw the 800 and 830 models listed on the Shaw Direct web site as well. SD is offering a free PVR and receiver to new customers. Not a bad deal but without whole home PVR access I'm not interested in a receiver. Two PVRs and a couple of sling boxes might get me to switch.
post #66 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 11:34 AM

Problem is with this new "improved" PVR, Slingbox will no longer work. What a PITA !!
post #67 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 01:40 PM
Veteran

Meanwhile, Dish Network bought Sling and advertises the technology as part of their product line. Shaw Direct is looking more out of touch with every product "enhancement."
post #68 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 03:18 PM
Rookie

I asked Shaw if there was a user manual for the 800 series, this is their reply, it doesn't bode well for any new or improved features.

"Having looked into it, the software and thus the UI, menus, Guide, location of options and such is all the same between the 600 and 800 series; the actual platform is an upgraded version of what exists, with a WiFi menu in addition of course and a new Setup Wizard, so the current manual is still accurate for the functions it describes.

Getting an updated manual has been escalated and is being worked on, but rest assured that the info in the currently-available manual still applies!"
post #69 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 04:38 PM
Veteran

Other than Wi-Fi, these updated models are worthless. They probably "updated" the product line due to a chip or component of the previous model no longer being available. I hear the argument that satellite is on the decline as a continual excuse. There are still over 800,000 Shaw Direct subs and I'd say at least a 1/3 of these subs are in rural areas where broadband access is not easily accessible.

With a subscriber base that large and the fact that every subscriber needs to be moved to an updated receiver; there is no reason why Shaw could not have worked with Arris to develop a gateway for Shaw Direct. The only major difference between the systems is the tuner. I get that the chases might have to be a bit different for Satellite since a multituner unit might require the addition of an internal multiswitch. However from a firmware stand-point, I don't think it would take a complete re-invention of the wheel to get existing software ported to work with Gateway hardware developed for Shaw Direct.

It all comes down to wanting the cheapest components possible and as little as possible firmware updates to support the new hardware.
post #70 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 05:54 PM

hmm so theres no benefit in getting the 830 if it keeps the same interface.
post #71 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 01:07 PM

Has anyone seen the 830? Is it the same size as the 630?
post #72 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 04:32 PM

It is odd that Shaw Direct would have the 830 available for sale, but on-line specific 830 documentation is non-existent.
post #73 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 05:05 PM
Veteran

Shaw Direct would have to pay for a technical writer to produce one. I get the impression that spending money on such things is against Shaw's religion.
post #74 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 08:19 PM

Just wanted to clarify my post yesterday about the Slingbox not working with the new 800 receivers. Because the 800 series does not have component output, it would only connect to the Slingbox via the RCA composite output meaning NO High Definition picture.

Isn't progress great ???
post #75 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-07-12, 09:15 PM
Veteran

That's often the case with new equipment. The studios don't like component because it doesn't support HDCP and the box makers look at it as a cost saving. I noticed Shaw didn't lower the price though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in