800 Series Discussions - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-12, 06:26 PM

Available about July 1st 2017
DSR800 Wifi, PPV ordering Via remote $149.99
DSR830 Wifi, PPV ordering Via remote, 1TB Hard Drive $299.99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-12, 10:27 PM

Do you know any other features? It's going to be pretty disappointing if they only have those 3 new features/upgrades.
post #33 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-12, 10:50 PM

Just chatted with Shaw Direct. They say both will be out by the end of Summer, with the 830 being out by the end of July. Here's what I found out about the DSR830:

-Still just dual tuner
-Still requires two coax lines to use both tuners
-No whole home DVR capability
-They say it is more user friendly with more info on screen so you don't have to go searching for it (not sure exactly what this means without actually seeing it)
-HDMI and RCA output only. No coax output, and no component.
-USB is now used for external drives, replacing eSATA. From the sound of it, it's used for offloading shows if the DVR gets too full (they mentioned transferring the shows to a USB key). Which seems a bit different than how eSATA drives currently work with the 630. USB drives are locked to individual receivers, so you can't move shows to other receivers (I didn't think they would add this, but I asked just to make sure)
-No more front panel display

post #34 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-13, 07:56 AM

This is an improvement ????
Leafs13 likes this.
post #35 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-13, 10:00 AM

post #36 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-13, 11:22 AM

With no component on either unit, this will certainly keep the value up on the 605s and 630s, at least for the short term
post #37 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-13, 03:00 PM

Approved yesterday by Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.
Product Marketing Name (PMN): DSR800
https://sms-sgs.ic.gc.ca/equipmentSe...n=e1s3&index=0

DSR830 isn't there yet.
post #38 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-13, 08:49 PM
Veteran

So basically the only upgrade is Wifi capability. Yawn.

It's 2017, the DSR830 should have a minimum of four tuners and should have whole home capability. Why has it taken years for these to come to market when they are essentially the same receiver that is already available.
Leafs13 likes this.
post #39 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-13, 08:54 PM

Pure speculation here.
My guess is that these new receivers will have some additional features that will become available only when new software is written for them.
I agree that they should have been more than 2 tuners, but maybe there will be a third model added later on that has more tuners. Maybe a DSR850?
Remember this is pure speculation so don't blame me if I am completely wrong.
post #40 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-13, 10:57 PM
Veteran

I don't see Canadian satellite BDUs putting any significant development money into receivers or infrastructure because there is very little return in it. For starters, Canada only has a large enough population to support one satellite BDU. Star Choice, now Shaw Direct, is only still around because Shaw bought it and is very frugal with its operations. If it weren't for the Cancom division of Shaw Direct, it would have been shut down years ago. US satellite services have better equipment and services plus they are more sustainable because they have 10 times the customer base to finance operations.

Yes, the DSR830 is very disappointing but it's a limited, shrinking market. Satellite is being rapidly replaced by terrestrial wireless solutions and fibre optic services, both of which offer much better solutions than satellite. Satellite is going to be relegated to niche markets and remote areas where other solutions are impractical. Canada certainly has enough areas where that is the case but not a lot of customers in those regions.
post #41 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-14, 09:30 AM

I agree with ExDilbert. Last December CRTC announced that internet is an essential service and all Canadians should have access to at least 50 Mbit download, this gives you 4k which this receiver seems to be missing. With diminishing returns I doubt if much effort is put into receivers anymore.
Whole home was always a promise, even back with the 500 series I was told they were testing this. Oh well, it would take a year or two for them to get the bugs out.
So to any of you that have zero option but satellite be thankful you are getting something, although likely not an upgrade.
post #42 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-14, 03:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguthrie View Post
Available about July 1st 2017
DSR800 Wifi, PPV ordering Via remote $149.99
DSR830 Wifi, PPV ordering Via remote, 1TB Hard Drive $299.99
PPV ordering via remote? This was a standard feature on the old legacy receivers and I didn't realize it was no longer possible until I got some PPV coupons.

Who the heck orders PPV anyways? With Netflix, etc., this is really an outdated feature and certainly not an "improvement".

I assume that the Wifi is for content on demand, thereby eliminating the need for hardwired Ethernet connection.

I assume also that the 800 is the non-PVR version.

Looks like an "upgraded" box with a higher price tag. Remind me again, what are the new features?
post #43 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-14, 05:08 PM

It looks like the external hard drive will operate much like the Bell receivers, more as an archive. I found the replay of those recordings to be cumbersome, with special functions such as skip and slow motion to be adversely affected. If it is a 3.0 usb, this may solve those problems. One thing this may do is allow the 800 to be used as a PVR with the addition of an EHD.

For me, the one improvement is the 1 terabyte internal hard drive which would make the external drive unnecessary for my purposes, but the lack of more tuners, whole home and 1 cable connection is very disappointing.
post #44 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-14, 05:21 PM

It's USB 2.0. I asked if there was a max size for the USB drive and they told me USB 2.0

Not the answer to the question I asked but it was useful info
post #45 of 320 (permalink) Old 2017-06-14, 10:44 PM

The DSR830 was approved by ISED today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in