800 Series Discussions - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #181 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 03:07 PM
Veteran

Just hooked up an 830 yesterday. It seems that every time they put out out a new unit, they take out features yet increase the price. This unit has no front display, no (red) recording indicator, they removed the component outputs and removed caller display functionality. The unit can do WiFi yet they included a wired ethernet jack (redundancy) which seems a waste. Unless you need WiFi for VOD, you are better off with the 630 from a cost saving aspect.

Also, when you turn it on, it has a bright white indicator light rather than the nice subtle green of past units.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 06:09 PM

My 830 has had 2 major issues in the last 2 days. The first occurred between 9 PM Saturday and 5 AM Sunday. When 2 programs to be recorded were in the same time period, only one recorded although the other appeared in the PVR list showing one minute recorded but nothing would play back. When 2 programs overlapped, the first recorded normally but the second did not start until the first was finished. I think that this pattern may have continued if I had not noticed that it showed only 2 hours recorded time on a recording in progress when it should have been more than 3. I started to watch the recording and when I stopped after a few minutes, the time now showed correctly. I have had the 630 show the wrong recording in progress time and found that starting to watch was the fix, but if you don't do that, it may not do the recording properly.

The other even more major issue occurred this morning after several power outages. When I noticed a 630 rebooting, I looked at the 830 but of course saw just the power light. As I mentioned before, this lack of signal loss indicator is a serious flaw because when I switched to the 830, there was a black screen with white printing saying something about being in recovery mode and giving me a number of options including reboot and different levels of flushes. I decided to try reboot since this would be the least drastic. The screen went blank and after a few minutes the picture appeared. There was no indication on the front panel that anything was happening except the power light went off for a few seconds. Everything appeared to be normal until I check the upcoming recordings list and it was blank. I checked the guide and it was fine. I waited 2 hours and then phoned Shaw. The technician had me do a power reboot and then a guide flush. Neither of these has fixed the problem. My unhappy wife will have to redo her 50+ recordings. One good thing is that all previously recorded programs are still there, although for some peculiar reason the color coding is gone. All titles are blue. There were 2 recordings in progress during some of the power outages and though there are blanks in these recordings, each recorded to the end of the program. So it survived several outages but it appears the last one did it in somehow.

Hopefully, these are 2 rare occurrences that just happened to come within 2 days of each other.
post #183 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-02, 06:30 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Regarding power outages, I always recommend plugging any PVR, or computer, or phone modem into a UPS. A small UPS can be purchased for $50 or less and will handle most power outages if you only plug the PVR (or other small power draw items) into the battery protected side. This should cover you for several hours depending on the PVR's power draw and UPS capacity. If the power is out for a longer time, you're out of luck of course.

One of the worst things for computers or anything with a hard drive is a power outage as it can cause head crashes, loss of data, etc.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #184 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 02:44 PM

I was thinking of that. What size of a UPS would be needed for 3 PVR's plus an external hard drive? I see on Amazon a CyberPower unit, 350 VA/255-watt for around that price. Would you recommend that or is there something better?
post #185 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 04:00 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Are you talking about plugging all three plus the eHDD into the same UPS? In that case you may need something larger, like 750VA. If you're talking about one PVR into one UPS, then something small like that may work. It's good to know how much power draw your equipment has to properly size the UPS. Here are a few helpful links:

Watt Meter - http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/202-...wer-draws.html

UPS - UPSforLESS | Power Backup Experts | Home

Power Draw UPS calculation:

Find the right UPS: UPS Selector - Select your protection needs

post #186 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-04, 11:17 AM
Veteran

Common causes of equipment damage or failure are rapid power cycling and surges. Protection does not require a large capacity UPS but does require good quality power filtering. A large capacity UPS will do more to prevent loss of recordings and will often provide better power filtering.

Shaw 630 PVRs draw about 20w, probably less for the 830. An external hard drive will be about 10w max. That's 70w. Multiply by 2 for worst case VA and by 2 again for 50% load. That's a conservative requirement of 280VA. A 350VA would provide at least 10 minutes of run time. (APC BK350) That UPS does not have the required 4 battery powered outlets and it is probably discontinued. Beware of old stock since UPS batteries do not keep well over 6 months without being recharged.

A 450VA UPS (APC BE450G-CN) would provide at least 20 minutes of run time under the same conditions. It has the required 4 backup outlets. The 650VA BE650G1-CN offers about 40 minutes of run time. The 750VA BE750G-CN offers 50 minutes of run time so it's battery capacity is not significantly higher than the 650VA model. It looks like APC is in the middle of revamping their product lines so availability on those models may be limited or only newer models with slightly different specs may be available.

Extra run time is provided by higher capacity batteries in higher powered UPS, not the extra VA. The higher capacity models often also have extra features such as USB charging ports, better energy efficiency, better UPS monitoring or control, LCD displays for status and more outlets.

Another consideration when buying a UPS is overall efficiency. Higher powered models tend to draw more standby power. Newer models tend to draw less standby power, lowering electricity bills and producing less heat.
post #187 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-04, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsnbrd View Post
... The other even more major issue occurred this (Oct 2, Monday) morning after several power outages. When I noticed a 630 rebooting...
With not a flicker of the lights, my 630 rebooted for no apparent reason Oct 2, Monday night around 9PM.
post #188 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-04, 04:49 PM

I don't understand what you mean by "That UPS does not have the required 4 battery powered outlets". Required by whom? If you're just protecting a PVR, why do you need more than one?
post #189 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-04, 05:02 PM

Re-read post 184. "3 PVR's plus an external hard drive"

post #190 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-04, 08:39 PM

Thanks to both 57 and ExDilbert for the excellent information. The CyberPower EC350G Ecologic 350VA/255-watt Energy Efficient Desktop UPS I am looking at has 4 outlets for backup plus 4 more surge protected. One problem I see is the spacing of the outlets, not only on this, but on bigger ones too. Since the 830 has the plug and transformer together (probably to save a few bucks) and so does the eHD, each requires extra room. Since I will be looking at replacing 630's in future, I will need more than 2 outlets with extra space. I guess I will need to resort to a short extension cord to get that.

I am not looking at this unit to provide a prolonged power supply, only to protect the hard drives from what ExDilbert refers to in his first sentence: "Common causes of equipment damage or failure are rapid power cycling and surges". I believe that what affected the 830 was just a short blip in the power since one of the 630's rebooted and the other didn't. Another thought just occurred to me: Could the reason that the 830 was affected have anything to do with the fact that it only has a 2 pronged plug?

How do I know what will provide the best protection for me?

Last edited by ronsnbrd; 2017-10-04 at 08:56 PM. Reason: added
post #191 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-04, 09:44 PM
Veteran

One thing I would caution against is the use of power bars with RF filters or surge protectors. Any use of cords that include filters or surge protectors combined with a UPS can cause odd behavior or damage to the UPS. Plug the UPS directly into the wall, not a power bar and not another UPS. I'd advise against using any cords or power bars to create extra outlets with a UPS. If it must be done, keep them as short and plain as possible. It's better to obtain a UPS with adequate outlets.
post #192 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-09, 06:07 AM

I went for Shaw's offer to upgrade my 630 to the 830 for $100.00. Larger Hard Drive was my reason, however I was deeply disappointed with the product. First issue was no clock or front display other than an "on" light. The second issue was a deal breaker ! The unit will only output PCM audio over HDMI. A call to tech support and through their guidance could not "fix" the issue, so they sent me a second unit which had the same issue plus a bad tuner. This was obviously a refurbished unit. Wait a minute ! I started out with a new unit and they offer me a refurbished and defective one. Needless to say they are both going back and I'm glad I tested the 830 before I sent them my 630 in trade. The unit has no external antennae for the UHF remote but seemed to work OK. If you have a home theatre and you care about the sound stay away from this unit until / if, they update the software
RuralRouter likes this.
post #193 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-09, 12:22 PM

Question 630 Audio Format better than 830 PCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtekie View Post
.. The second issue was a deal breaker ! The unit will only output PCM audio over HDMI.
I know little about this subject so I ask what format audio is output by my 630 over HDMI to my Pioneer AVR? Something better than PCM?

I appreciate your post!

From this and other information from your post, I will not "upgrade" to an 830 until absolutely necessary.
post #194 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-09, 01:17 PM

My guess is that there is an audio setting somewhere in the 830 that allows for DD5.1 output. Note that SD channels are typically DD2.0, while most, but not all, HD channel programming is DD5.1. Here's the FAQ on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-5...e-dd5-1-a.html

Sometimes there is a firmware handshake between devices that may provide say PCM if the connection is directly to a TV instead of an AVR. Direct connection to an AVR should provide for DD5.1 signals to that AVR (when available), but manual intervention by the owner may be necessary in the audio settings of the STB itself.

As discussed in the bolded part of the FAQ, if you attempt to go "through" a TV with the audio signals to the AVR, then the TV can sometimes limit the signal to PCM. Again, a direct connection to the AVR via HDMI or a digital audio cable (optical or coaxial audio) should provide DD5.1 signals when available in programming. Also, most, but not all, newer TVs have audio settings which allow for DD5.1 or similar setting like "bitstream/raw" if you attempt to go "through" the TV.

post #195 of 315 (permalink) Old 2017-10-11, 12:55 PM

Yes Audio Output can be changed, don't ask my how, its been a while since I played in the Menus of a 630 but it is there.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in