Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

800 Series Discussions

138K views 419 replies 74 participants last post by  P2B 
#1 ·
Yesterday I phoned a tech at SD to get the time changed back as we have NO daylight savings time in our area. I complained having to do this every 6 months and couldn't they set something up? He said the 800 series receivers are in the works and they will be able to set our time zone and if we have DST or not. I asked him "You said 800 series and not 700 series", he said they are bypassing the 700 and are working on the 800 series.
If I needed more info he could patch me through to customer relations or something like that but it was Sunday, I could phone back today(monday).
Does that mean we have to wait longer for a newer receiver, or just a stall tactic.

#373 ·
The issue is most likely emanating from the broadcaster or the way the signal is being encoded by Shaw. Setting compression to heavy is probably the best that can be done at the customer level. I often experienced technical issues with Shaw's signals (and still do,) both on their service and on other services that used Shaw satellite feeds. One solution for the distortion may be to change the audio output on the receivers to variable and lowering the volume until the distortion disappears. That won't work if the distortion is in the signal feed though.

#374 ·
One solution for the distortion may be to change the audio output on the receivers to variable and lowering the volume until the distortion disappears. That won't work if the distortion is in the signal feed though.
Thanks. There is no setting to change from fixed to variable output level for the analog outs that I am aware of on the 800 or 830 receivers.
That would still leave big fluctuations in the volume from channel to channel though.
What I will have to do is use the 'headphone out' on the TV. The reason I'm not doing this in the first place is it adds another volume control in the chain, and means I have to keep connecting/disconnecting at the phones jack to go back and forth between speakers and phones.
The up side is that because the TV audio is derived from the HDMI, the volume levels are fairly consistent across all channels.

#375 ·
Could another audio output on the TV be tried, such as optical audio? Another option would be to put an audio splitter cable on the headphone output. That would eliminate the need to swap cables. I use bluetooth headphones with the bluetooth in the TV. Not all TVs support that though. Before the current TV, I used a bluetooth adapter with the TV's analog or optical audio outputs but that presented issues.

The issue with support may be that the it needs to be elevated to a higher level tech. That was possible by just asking the last time I tried. Even then, the issue would need to be investigated since, as noted, few people would have experienced the issue due to the widespread adoption of HDMI. I've had CSRs tell me things like, "It's working here so it must be your equipment." on occasion so I know the feeling. It sounds like Shaw may have misconfigured the audio levels on some signals. Misconfiguration is not a new issue for Shaw or other TV providers.

#381 ·
Sorry for jumping in but I can't find a link to start my own thread...
This is regarding a dsr800.
I have downloaded the new software update to my dsr830 pvr with no problem.
I have tried downloading the update to my dsr800 many times but it just won't update. It seems to run 1 hour and then it just reboots. Then a screen comes up asking me to update now or Dismiss. If I dismiss it, it says it will automatically try again in the early morning. So it starts downloading at that time but it only runs for 1 hour and reboots again.
I have been in touch with SD but they didn't fix it.
The signal strength from the satellite is 97%. As it seems to download the update, the progress bar is not showing any progress. On the left side of the bar, it lists the signal level of about 3.2 in red. Then it changes to white and reads about 4.5. Then it goes back to red showing the lower level around 3.0. And it just keeps doing this until after 1 hour it seems to time out.
When I click the right arrow on the remote, it brings up all technical information. Where it says channel number, it lists 999 where it is downloading from. But when I click on the guide, I don't have channel 999 listed.
I do have lots of channels which work properly but it's just this Software Update problem on my dsr800 receiver.
So, I am stumped. If anyone has any ideas or help, I would really appreciate it.

Thankyou very much.

#382 ·
I have downloaded the new software update to my dsr830 pvr with no problem.
I have tried downloading the update to my dsr800 many times but it just won't update.
The current firmware version for both DSR800 and DSR830 is 72.48. This version was released in April 2023, so should have been installed on your receivers months ago.

What are the current and target versions on your DSR800? This information is available by pressing Options-Status-System Status then scrolling to lines H and I

#383 ·
Thanks for your reply.

The DSR830 reads 72.48.
The DSR800 reads 71.08 and is trying to update to 72.48.
Both receivers are hooked up directly from the dish via the cables.

I only reactivated the receivers on Nov 6th after been on holiday mode since May /23.

It seems the signal level on the tech page goes from Red lettering approx 3.0 to White lettering approx 4.5 over and over. The DSR830 was doing the same but it updated properly.

Thanks P2B.

#388 ·
On your remote

The Signal scan report:

Options-1-9-4

See Options List for 8xx Receivers

I hope this is helpful.
Hi Jim.
Thanks for all the info.

I did the Signal Scan Report and it looks like I am not on G1 satellite but I am on F2 satellite, as follows....
T1..G1 V and H...all red
T1..F2 V and H...all green..93
T2..G1 V and H...all red
T2..F2 V and H...all green..93

Now my question is, if I try to find G1 satellite, will I lose F2 channels as they come in really good.

My main problem is that I cannot update the Software download for the DSR800. I guess that's because I am not on G1 satellite.

I am in Arizona and I wonder if I will be able to find G1 satellite.

Thanks for helping me out.

#389 ·
G1 does not cover the southern US. F2 does but it's going to be decommissioned in early 2024, causing the complete loss of Shaw Direct. Updating the 800's firmware is a minor issue compared to the loss of all channels. It might be possible to receive G1 using a larger dish but it's a long shot in the far south like Arizona. All these issues have been discussed in other threads about the G1 conversion and reception in the south.

#390 ·
Thanks for all the info.
I wonder what will happen next year for everyone in the south if it is decommisioned and no body will be able to get SD down south.
Is the next provider going to be Starlink?
Thanks to everyone for helping me out with my problems. I really appreciate it.

#391 ·
@JSR Please read the last few pages of the following threads as options are discussed there to some degree in numerous posts: We do not want to discuss Starlink or other options in this 800 thread, so please ask options questions in the "south" thread.

#393 · (Edited)
My DSR800's seem to be getting a firmware update from 72.48 to 75.03.
Any idea what satellite that update is coming down from, 'cause it's been going on for nearly and hour, and progress is at ZERO %.
I'm tempted to press 'Exit to Cancel' at this point.
Anyone ever try that?
This one seems completely unannounced, unlike last year in April.

I could find no evidence of tonight's update at Shaw Direct's site.
Signal level is a bit low - and, after an hour, it gave up it seems:
H: Current Version 72.48 I: Target Version 75.03
Bailed after an hour and wants to try again.
Think I'll just unplug for now...

#397 ·
The actual update will take over the receiver as it rewrites the firmware. (It is possible to design hardware that avoids this but this is a proprietary TV service receiver and they are rarely designed well.) It's difficult to say what to do here but the update should not take more than an hour. There are basically three scenarios.
1. The update froze before the update was written. If the receiver is rebooted, it will revert to the previous firmware.
2. The update froze after the update was successfully written. If the receiver is rebooted, it will have the new firmware.
3. The update froze while the update was being written. If the receiver is rebooted, it will likely be bricked.
In a similar case, I have rebooted (if possible) or unplugged the receiver and it turned out the new firmware was installed successfully. Calling Shaw and following their instructions would put the responsibility on them. They may have a resolution other than unplugging and hoping for the best.

I've also had a firmware update silently brick a receiver when there was no intervention. That receiver was replaced by Shaw at no charge. If there is any problem, the receiver should be covered under Shaw's extended warranty. Taking a picture of the current screen might help if there is any dispute over replacing the receiver.

#406 ·
Checked both of my receivers (an 800 and an 830), and both show the new 75.03 firmware has been installed.

#407 · (Edited)
One of my 4 830s was updated to 75.03 last night. The others still say no download available.

The release notes just say "general stability improvements" - no mention of specific bug fixes (I was hoping manual timers would be fixed), and no rebranding (which I was half expecting).

I will post if I notice anything else.

#409 ·
I don't think the receiver will be bricked. I have bought used receivers that were a version behind and they worked fine until they got the update. Not to say that there is something important in the code that might cause a feature to fail. Say the new code handles the guide data differently. Once everyone is updated perhaps the guide data won't load with the old version. I have no knowledge of what is in the code but I suspect it is either bug fixes or optimizations for when the service is on G1 only.

#411 · (Edited)
lol. I can only imagine what would happen if I phoned and said “can you send me a flash drive please.”. That would be pretty funny. As it stands now, it doesnt appear that after seven days you can postpone the unit from trying to update, thereby rendering every unit useless as it‘s in a continual update-loop. Since the “Go” signal is being sent on both satellites, but the update ONLY on G1, it kinda feels like Shaw has instituted a ‘Kill’ command to you-know-who….

UPDATE: If you pull the plug and wait until some early morning time, 8am maybe, the unit seems to back-off the forced download, likely until 2:10am est. Pulling the plug, therefore, while trying to download, did not kill any units. So that's good news...