800 Series Discussions - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-08-31, 04:21 PM

Many shows actually start at xx:01 or xx:58 Networks do that to try to keep you watching the next show in their schedule. If the guide is showing the start time as xx:01 or some variation it is likely that, that is when the show is scheduled to start. The 8xx series may be just a little be more in your face about the exact start time in the guide.

LONSat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-08-31, 06:44 PM

LONSat - I hear what you're saying, but it's every single programme, not just one or two. ExDilbert - I thought it was set by the satellite, but it's an odd thing for it to be one minute off. I can't see how their system would allow them to set it like that. I did note that on the 830, the guide is set to Atlantic time whereas before on the 630, it was set to Newfoundland time (which is incorrect for where we are). Everytime she called to reset the time when she had the 630, it would change to Atlantic and then within a day or five, it would change back to Newfoundland. Every. Single. Time. They couldn't get it to stay straight. I used to have the same issue until I finally got fed-up of it and someone in the TED team 'fixed' it so that I only have to call in once or twice a year instead of almost every week. For some reason, they couldn't apply the same fix to her account. I guess I'll call them and see what they say.

Last edited by CrispyPotato; 2017-08-31 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Typos
post #168 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-09-23, 12:31 AM
Rookie

Just received my 830 today. First and most obvious observation is that the processor is way faster than the 630. Configuring a new recording updates the system almost instantly, compared to the ~10 or more second reconfig on the 630. Basic functionality essentially resembles the 630, not much difference that I can see. However, a couple glitches so far. I have only recorded 1 show so far, and the time on disk for the recording is 0:58 minutes for what was scheduled as a 1 hour show. Not sure what, if anything, got truncated there. It was a PBS show, and they have a lot of padding on either side of most shows. Even more disturbing is that skip is not working on the recording. I hope it is just glitching out on this one recording. Anyone else having this issue? I'd lose my mind if the skip feature was intentionally disabled on all or even some recordings.

post #169 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-09-23, 01:19 PM
DHC Supporter

I have had mine for a few months now, you can set the timer to run over in the settings. Never had any issues recording yet.
post #170 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-09-24, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhame View Post
Even more disturbing is that skip is not working on the recording. I hope it is just glitching out on this one recording. Anyone else having this issue? I'd lose my mind if the skip feature was intentionally disabled on all or even some recordings.
My skip is working - thank goodness!
post #171 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-09-24, 10:47 AM

Please turn it over and see if there is a fan. 630 fan is easy to see from bottom view.
NOT the back. The bottom.

Last edited by ronycoca; 2017-09-24 at 06:35 PM.
post #172 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-09-25, 03:03 AM

The bottom, top, front and back are solid - no vents. Both sides have vents but no fan visible.

My skip forward works very well. No delay and will almost keep up with rapid repeats of skip forward - something the 630 never would. Response to all commands is immediate - what I was used to when I had Bell and the delay with the 630 was very frustrating at first. This improvement in response time is almost worth the price of the 830 to me. Another positive is that I have not experienced any double commands like so often happens with the 630.

One thing I do not like is the fast forward. On all shows I have watched so far, the first level of the fast forward is very jerky. It seems like it only shows about 2 frames per second. The next speed is more smooth and is a better speed than the 630, about 12 times as fast as normal speed as opposed to 30 times as fast on the 630. (Yes, I still use FF) Perhaps this is something they are working on as I have notice lately that these things have been varying on the 630, depending on the channel and even the program. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Another thing I don't like is the lack of front panel indicators of no signal and recordings in progress. The lack of a clock is not a big problem but one is given no warning of loss of signal or lack of recording when one should be in progress unless you have your TV on. Even then, you may not know if you are watching a recording.
ronycoca likes this.

Last edited by ronsnbrd; 2017-09-25 at 03:46 AM.
post #173 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-09-27, 11:36 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy MacKinnon View Post
My skip is working - thank goodness!
Quote:
Even more disturbing is that skip is not working on the recording.
Fortunately it seems I just had the weird luck that my first recording was corrupt and I couldn't skip through it, but all other recordings since have been fine.

A small gripe I have with the 830 remote is that to use the 830 remote power button to control the TV, in addition to the PVR, I have to hold the power button down for a full 1.5 seconds. I can't seem to figure out a way to program it to instantly power on/off the TV. That's a hard habit to get into.

I haven't noticed any jerkiness with the FF, but I don't use it too often. I did notice that there was variability in the FF on the 630 though. Watching Formula 1 racing, for instance, they keep a window on the race during commercials and I would FF through that. Sometimes the FF was really smooth and the cars would flow by, but faster. Other times it was jerky like you describe. Not sure how to account for that.

All in all though I am pretty happy with the 830. The 630 was so slow, it's such a relief to have better performance finally. I too wish it had front panel indicators for recordings, and I think it's disappointing that it doesn't have picture-in-picture between the two tuners. A feature Bell had almost 15 years ago on their dual tuner PVR.
post #174 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-09-27, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhame View Post
I too wish it had front panel indicators for recordings...
Not having a front panel display on the 830 is a deficiency.
ronycoca and tvmaster like this.
post #175 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-09-28, 01:40 AM

Is there a chance Shaw will be introducing features on the 8xx series that will render the 6xx series boxes as boat anchors anytime soon? If so, when?
post #176 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-09-28, 09:02 AM

In my opinion not anytime soon. They are rolling out MPEG4 (to be complete 2019/20) and both boxes are compatible. In fact when they started the conversion the upgrade was to a 6xx series box and to make the 6xx a boat anchor would be a PR disaster.

LONSat
post #177 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 02:52 PM

My 830 is connected to one TV using composite cables and to another using HDMI that has a male to male connector joining 2 cables. Several times on the TV screen using composite, there has been a message about a non HDCP compliant device and there is no picture. When I disconnect the HDMI connector, the message goes away and the picture comes back. If I reconnect the HDMI connection, it works fine until a few days later. So my questions are:
1. Why does a non compliance in the HDMI connection cause a problem in the composite connection?
2. Why do I not get a similar message on the other TV?
3. Why does it cause problems sometimes and not other times?
post #178 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 04:03 PM
Veteran

1. Because that's what the big studios dictate to Shaw and the makers of most electronics. If they don't comply, they lose licensing for the technology required to display big studio content. The studios want to eliminate the use of component video wherever possible and enforce severe restrictions where it is in use. Chances are that the component video is directly tied to the HDMI video in some way that causes both to fail when HDMI issues exist. That could be bad design or a requirement.

2. It's possible that the issue is being caused by the TV. It may fail to complete the HDMI/HDCP handshake or send bad signals when off which makes the 830 put up the message.

3. It may be an intermittent or timeout issue. Failure to complete the HDMI and HDCP handshake sometimes happens due to device compatibility issues. It is often dependent on the order in which devices are powered on.
post #179 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 06:01 PM

Thanks ExDilbert for your quick and detailed reply. Interesting comment about the possible connection between HDMI and component. But the 830 does not have component output, only composite, which is what I am using. There should be no connection between composite and HDMI since composite does not give high definition. And you suggest that this would cause both to fail, but so far that has not happened. The TV with HDMI connection has not so far displayed the error message. Also, I've tried powering on/off in different sequences and cannot reproduce the message. It has happened I think 3 times in the 2 weeks we have had this setup. So I guess I need to show my wife how to fix it when it happens as it's her TV and she often gets up in the middle of the night to watch it. Or I can just disconnect the HDMI when I finish watching the 830.
post #180 of 312 (permalink) Old 2017-10-01, 06:21 PM
Veteran

I misread component for composite. Should have known better since I don't think the 830 has component output. Chances are that they are taking the composite signal from the HDMI signal which is putting up the error message due to the TV being off. I'd say it's a design defect or a bug in the firmware.

Not sure how the HDMI port would stand up to repeated cable insertions and removals. They tend to be rather fragile. Turning on the HDMI connected TV might be one way to get rid of the message. It may be possible to turn it off once the message disappears. Assuming both TVs have HDMI, using a HDMI splitter would likely work and it would provide HD to both TVs. If running an HDMI cable is not desirable, another solution may be to use an HDMI RF sender and receiver with a pass through port on the sending unit. An obvious solution would be to get a second 830 but that would be quite expensive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in