800 Series Discussions - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-02, 07:48 PM

frenchophile wrote: Wifi? I mean, i guess if you want to stream shows on your sat receiver, that's cool. It's redundant for me, since my tvs have wifi

One of my TVs has wifi and the other has ethernet wired connectivity. Neither TV can access Shaw's On Demand library.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-02, 08:55 PM
Veteran

The 800 and 830 should be able to stream Shaw's full VOD library over wifi. It will be more extensive than what is available from Shaw with a TV app. There may exceptions but it's usually very limited with just specific TVs and devices working with specific services.
post #138 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 02:29 AM
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlStatic View Post
Can you get a picture of the interface and whatever is different from the 630?
Do you have an external drive?
Yes I have a external hard drive, in the pic it shows it hooked up to the USB on the back. Vantec NST-366SU3-BK 3.5 SATA 6GB/S to USB 3.0/ESATA HDD Enclosure as far as difference mostly the wifi.

post #139 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 06:50 AM

ExDilbert and JaserJoe: I learned something new. Thanks, guys
post #140 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 07:44 AM

@noah12 so the interface is exactly the same as the 630? Theres no difference at all?

Have you noticed any problems at all?
How is the external drive working? Any hiccups?
You should fill the drive(s) to see how the unit behaves when the disks are full and it has to manage the space.
In my experience the 630 it causes alot of problems with rebootings and crashes and the guide becomes alot less responsive.
post #141 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 02:14 PM

Just received an e-mail from Shaw Direct announcing the new 800 series. User guide still refers to the 600 series. Sweet roll-out !
post #142 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 03:11 PM

Yeah, the documentation is going to confuse some people where it mentions component output and cables and those aren't there with the 8xx series. Someone dropped the ball on that one.

LONSat
post #143 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 03:29 PM
Veteran

I was going to mention the email I got with subject: "August: The gadgets you needs this fall" but I guess compared to the wrong misleading manual, that faux pas is minor and only sent out to thousands of customers!
RuralRouter likes this.
post #144 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 05:41 PM

Just picked on this thread & SD announcement of the 800 series release.
From what has been posted so far, it appears that there is little reason to change to the new boxes. Is the picture and sound quality clearly better than the 600 series? Doesn't seem that way. Especially when there is no 4K content.
post #145 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-03, 06:47 PM

No RF output either. I guess I could get a composite / RF modulator if I got one of these things for our office / bedroom TV (2 TVs connected via coax)
post #146 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-04, 01:37 PM
Rookie

Shaw sent me an email in May saying my old DVR would not get Hd channels sometime in June due to changes they had made...I upgraded to the 630 for $200 which I wasn't really happy about. Did anybody else do the upgrade ?
Then yesterday I got the email about the new 800 series now I'm really not happy about the deal.....I'm always deleting stuff on the 630 HD to prevent problems. A bigger hard drive on the 830 would be sweet.
I would miss the clock and the recording light...Why do they make steps backwards?
post #147 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-04, 06:21 PM

So I got my 830 PVR hooked up on Monday, it's now Friday. For reference, I'm replacing a 505 with it but I have other 630 units in the house for the past year so I have lots of experience with those. These are my opinions and impressions after 4 days of use. Your opinions may vary.

Let me start with the positives:

- I like the smaller size. Also, there are no vents on top of the unit so you can stack things on top of it without blocking ventilation unlike the 630.

- Everything feels a little crisper. For example, less wait time after a button press. Everything happens faster on screen and feels more fluid.

- I like the Wifi option. I have never had my units hooked up to the internet because there are no phone line jacks anywhere near any of my TVs and I didn't care. With Wifi, I can stream their VOD library! It's not the biggest library but it works well and I guess something is better than nothing.

- I like the bigger hard drive. More space means more shows to record!

- Everything is running smooth so far, no lockups or bugs that I've seen in a short time sample.

As far as the negatives:

- The lack of front display is unacceptable to me. I use the damn clock on my other units so much! I'm horribly disappointed by this seemingly insignificant omission. I don't get it.

- There's nothing really new on this unit. More of the same from the 630 with Wifi and a bigger hard drive. Very underwhelming for a "New Version".

- The lack of connectivity doesn't bother me so much but I can see how some people would be upset at the lack of options other than HDMI.

- DID I MENTION THERE'S NO FRONT DISPLAY???!!!

That's all I can think of after 4 days of use. I would be upset if I paid to upgrade from a 630 for this because it's basically the same thing with a couple of small upgrades and no front display. If you don't need wifi, get a 630 and an external hard drive unless an 830 is cheaper for some reason.

Hope that helps someone!
Leafs13 and RuralRouter like this.
post #148 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-04, 11:30 PM
Veteran

I have a friend who wants to pick up a 830 but plans to open it up first and install a larger internal Hard Drive before activating it like he did on the 630.
post #149 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-05, 10:05 AM

Exclamation Don't Do It

I suppose the installation of a larger drive before activation is to keep the Shaw Direct/ friend administrative conversations to a minimum.

I would advise against that, however. Opening the brand new 830 will void the warranty. What if there is a fault inside the 830?

Now we are talking about telephone time.
post #150 of 310 (permalink) Old 2017-08-05, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlups View Post
Everything feels a little crisper. For example, less wait time after a button press. Everything happens faster on screen and feels more fluid.
Thanks for posting that. I was curious if they used a faster processor in the 830, but I didn't know if speed was an issue on the older PVRs like it is for some other providers.
Quote:
If you don't need wifi, get a 630 and an external hard drive unless an 830 is cheaper for some reason.
Or you can get the 830 with the 1 TB hard drive for 300 hours of HD recording and buy a clock if you need a clock.
phlups likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in