Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Ignite TV App discussion (BlueCurve)

66K views 115 replies 33 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Free Range TV in US?

I didn't find anything in the forums or in the Shaw Direct or Shaw cable FAQ.

I'm wondering if I can use the Free Range TV app outside of Canada. I travel to the US often, and sometimes to other continents for work. My 630 is great for catching up, but it would be great to be able to catch live sports while travelling.

Would I be violating terms of service, or will it just block me from viewing?

EDIT by Dr.Dave: Starting October 15, 2019, Shaw renamed the FreeRange TV app to BlueCurve TV App.

#27 ·
It's quite possible, considering what you're experiencing, NovaMan. I see many instances wherein FireFox just stutters, even when it's not downloading anything other than web page elements. Almost like it freezes. I would turn off plugins, as LONSat suggests. Another thing to try is uninstalling FFox, deleting it's folder from C://Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox, too. Because just uninstalling leaves all your settings. To SAVE your settings first, to for example keep just your Bookmarks, use MozBackup (MozBackup - Backup tool for Firefox and Thunderbird), a free tool, that also backs up and restores Thunderbird files.

#28 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

This from Shaw help:

"We are glad to hear that the issue has been resolved! The FreeRange application does have some compatibility issues with certain programs. For example, it is only compatible with Android software that is 4.1 and higher and iPad with iOS 8.0 or higher and it does not work on Blackberry at all."

#31 ·
No, I haven't, unfortunately. I am not fond of all these little Android-type devices. However, I know that programs like PLEX offer the kind of thing you are looking for, along with PLAYON software. I can "stream" from my PC to my TV in 1080p from anything on my hard drive. The difficulty is the menu and interface, which is super-clunky for all these special tools. And it also works with Android and Apple TV and so on.

#38 ·
@LONSat The iPad dongle won't work with FreeRange TV:
Can I stream Video On Demand or live TV on another monitor from the Shaw FreeRange TV?
All video output (HDMI, airplay, Chromecast, DLNA etc.) is blocked for iOS and Android.
Source: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-6216

This is because the content in FrreRange TV is licensed using Mobile Rights which Shaw negotiates in addition to Cable/Satellite broadcast rights (also explained in the FAQ.)

An HDMI connection from a laptop or PC to a TV will work.

#41 ·
Just got an email from Shaw that states you can now download shows to your device and watch them offline. I have not tried this yet, so I don't know the details, but it is probably something similar to the Netflix download feature. May also be only limited to summer.

#44 ·
A Shaw employee wrote this response on their community forum.
We can confirm that the most up to date info regarding download-to-go is that YTV, Nickelodeon, Treehouse & Hollywood Suite are the only ones available.
They had the kids' downloads since the beginning so they're not just for the summer.

@bigoranget you're probably thinking of the HBO GO download feature that was just announced. Unfortunately, Shaw isn't participating in the download feature.
See http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/217...-tv/160322-tmn-go-launched-5.html#post2931082

#45 ·
All video output (e.g., HDMI) is blocked for Android. Why? From my laptop, using Chrome, I can feed video and audio from FreeRange with no problems, but when I hook up my Android device the notice tells me it cannot be done. Why the restrictions with Android and not (as the Shaw FreeRange site states) " IE 10+, Chrome, Safari 5.1+, Microsoft Edge, Firefox ".. Is there any way around this restriction?

#48 ·
Is there any info or news about Shaw allowing the access of Centre Ice on Free Range TV in the future? I really want to switch from Bell to Shaw Direct but that is biggest reason I wont. I work on the road lots away from home. With the Bell App I can access the Centre Ice Channels I pay for. Hopefully they change it in the future before next season.

#53 ·
FreeRange or Blue Curve...doesn’t work

My FreeRange app shutdown maybe six to eight months ago. At first it had lost all channels but when I deleted and reinstalled, the app wouldn’t even connect to the WiFi. ”Oops, we didn’t connect on the first try.”
I escalated.through emails to the app people and they told me it was an issue with my provider, Bell. They said my modem is an older model and some port must be blocked. Tell them you need a newer modem was the call.
Funny thing...I watch other apps with no issues. I can login FreeRange on a Windows 10 PC. Now Blue Curve. Does exactly same, so Shaw, you’re out of the picture on my tablet. I use other apps that work.

#54 ·
Any reason why:

1) the're still no french stations available on the app FreeRange or Blue Curve ?? The app has been available for a few years now , how come we dont get any french .
2) Why is all of suddent it doesnt work on my phone other than when i use my data on my phone plan. ?
3) how come CI is still not available even though i have it on my TV package at home ?