FreeRange TV discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 09:26 AM

No, I haven't, unfortunately. I am not fond of all these little Android-type devices. However, I know that programs like PLEX offer the kind of thing you are looking for, along with PLAYON software. I can "stream" from my PC to my TV in 1080p from anything on my hard drive. The difficulty is the menu and interface, which is super-clunky for all these special tools. And it also works with Android and Apple TV and so on.

... Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 10:21 AM

via a laptop you mean?
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 10:23 AM

Laptop, tower... Android, iPhone... doesn't matter.

... Mike

post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDRiley View Post
No, I haven't, unfortunately. I am not fond of all these little Android-type devices. However, I know that programs like PLEX offer the kind of thing you are looking for, along with PLAYON software. I can "stream" from my PC to my TV in 1080p from anything on my hard drive. The difficulty is the menu and interface, which is super-clunky for all these special tools. And it also works with Android and Apple TV and so on.
It works via a VPN on an iPad or Android device, but is denied when trying to then transmit wirelessly from those devices to a big screen. Not sure if the same happens when in Canada, aka is that functionality just impossible outright...
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 10:25 AM

No VPN is needed unless you are trying to get at unlicenced sources, like NetFlix, Hulu, etc.

... Mike
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDRiley View Post
Laptop, tower... Android, iPhone... doesn't matter.
no, sorry, that was for the previous post regarding an HDMI cable. No way to HDMI from the iPad I don't think, so I was assuming he meant from a laptop
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 12:45 PM

I believe there is a dongle you can buy for an iPad to get and HDMI output. I think it is called
a Lightning Digital AV Adapter.

LONSat
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 01:36 PM

@LONSat The iPad dongle won't work with FreeRange TV:
Quote:
Can I stream Video On Demand or live TV on another monitor from the Shaw FreeRange TV?
All video output (HDMI, airplay, Chromecast, DLNA etc.) is blocked for iOS and Android.
Source: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-6216

This is because the content in FrreRange TV is licensed using Mobile Rights which Shaw negotiates in addition to Cable/Satellite broadcast rights (also explained in the FAQ.)

An HDMI connection from a laptop or PC to a TV will work.
post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-03-06, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
Have you ever tried to link a mobile device running Free Range...... a Chromecast unit, i.e. is there a way to have Free Range appear on a big screen TV?
I have tried ( a few months ago) domestically, to project from my Android phone to my Chrome Cast and it was blocked from within the FreeRange App. A message popped up indicating this was not permitted under terms of an agreement as noted above by Dr. Dave.

I was however, at the time, able to screen cast directly from the phone and then run the FreeRange app on top. Subsequently the app appears to have been updated to also block this function.

As I don't have an HDMI adapter for my phone, I can't comment on that option.

Last edited by skifan; 2017-03-06 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Retried the direct cast......now blocked....App has been updated apparently.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-06-01, 04:20 PM

Has anyone tried FreeRange on an Android TV Box or some Google TV Box?
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 04:05 PM

Just got an email from Shaw that states you can now download shows to your device and watch them offline. I have not tried this yet, so I don't know the details, but it is probably something similar to the Netflix download feature. May also be only limited to summer.
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 04:09 PM

^
I think it only a limited number of children's programming that can be downloaded.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 04:41 PM
Veteran

Some TMN and HBO programs can also be downloaded if you sub to TMN+HBO
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 2017-07-11, 09:06 PM

A Shaw employee wrote this response on their community forum.
Quote:
We can confirm that the most up to date info regarding download-to-go is that YTV, Nickelodeon, Treehouse & Hollywood Suite are the only ones available.
They had the kids' downloads since the beginning so they're not just for the summer.

@bigoranget you're probably thinking of the HBO GO download feature that was just announced. Unfortunately, Shaw isn't participating in the download feature.
See http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/217-...ml#post2931082
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 2019-05-31, 04:44 PM

All video output (e.g., HDMI) is blocked for Android. Why? From my laptop, using Chrome, I can feed video and audio from FreeRange with no problems, but when I hook up my Android device the notice tells me it cannot be done. Why the restrictions with Android and not (as the Shaw FreeRange site states) " IE 10+, Chrome, Safari 5.1+, Microsoft Edge, Firefox ".. Is there any way around this restriction?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in