Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Direct Ignite TV App discussion (BlueCurve)

66K views 115 replies 33 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Free Range TV in US?

I didn't find anything in the forums or in the Shaw Direct or Shaw cable FAQ.

I'm wondering if I can use the Free Range TV app outside of Canada. I travel to the US often, and sometimes to other continents for work. My 630 is great for catching up, but it would be great to be able to catch live sports while travelling.

Would I be violating terms of service, or will it just block me from viewing?

EDIT by Dr.Dave: Starting October 15, 2019, Shaw renamed the FreeRange TV app to BlueCurve TV App.

#2 ·
answering my own question ...

From the app store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ca.shaw.freerangetv):

"Streaming is available anywhere in Canada while connected to a WiFi or cellular network (data charges may apply)"

When I hit the Google Play store from my laptop it says "This app is incompatible with all of your devices.". I'm guessing this is because I'm currently out of the country.

When I try from my tablet, the search doesn't even find the app.

#4 ·
Here's the sticky thread in the Shaw Cable forum: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/36-shaw-cable/252018-shaw-freerange-apple-android.html

Shaw FAQ: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-6216
Can I watch Shaw FreeRange TV outside of Canada?
•You can watch downloaded content from anywhere, even outside of Canada; however, the content must be downloaded within Canada and expires within 30 days.
•The ability to stream live TV and on-demand content on Shaw FreeRange TV is not available to customers who use the app outside of Canada due to content rights restrictions.
I think that only kids' shows are downloadable. IP addresses outside Canada are blocked from streaming.

#5 ·
Free Range on PC or smart TV?

I know, I know, I'm a luddite. I don't have a smartphone. I have an iPod but its iOS is two releases behind and won't update.

I'm guessing I can't watch Free Range on my PC because I use applications not little apps (partially joking about apps).

Anybody tried an android emulator on their PC with the Free Range app?

#6 ·
@JasperJoe A Shaw employee posted the following in their community forum:
comcast does have a Web enabled experience that will be used in the future to allow devices that don't have a native app to experience Freerange (Ie laptops, computers etc).
All content within the app today is available/discoverable within the set top box.
He was probably referring to the cable box, but would probably apply to Shaw Direct, assuming you can connect your box to the internet.

If you specifically want PC access, you can probably use the web interface for the individual TV channels to view on demand and live content using your Shaw Direct login.

I doubt that FreeRange TV would work in an emulator, since the app checks it's operating environment to prevent connection to TVs and may not even work on jailbroken and rooted phones.

#10 ·
This is my exchange with SD on FaceBook:

Can I run Free Range on my PC? I don't have a smart phone.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. This is a response to the message you sent to us about Free Range.

The application can only be used on a smart mobile device such as a phone or a tablet. Let us know if you have more questions. smile emoticon

Have a great day.

#13 ·
installed on my android tablet. was able to start a few shows as a test. Now it craps out.
"Unfortunately FreeRangeTV has stopped. "

Reboot, reinstall. Clear Data under Settings->applications. Same result.
After reinstall, I do go through the account setting signup, but then it cancels when adding device
Useless for now.

#23 ·
Shaw Direct FreeRange TV on laptop

When I use my laptop (HP with Windows 10) to watch live TV on CBC, CTV, Global, or Sportsnet from their websites, I have no problems; however when I log into FreeRange TV using my Shaw Direct ID information, the live TV feed only last for about 10 minutes, and then it either freezes up or my laptop shuts down and then restarts.

Are any other Shaw Direct folks experiencing this phenomena? Is there a way to solve it?

#24 ·
I have not experienced it, and I use FreeRange off and on for extended periods. I'm guessing it has more to do with your WiFi speed, or the modem getting plugged up (a factory reboot can clear that out), memory being used by other apps on your device perhaps, but I don't think it's a general problem with the service. And I'm in Mexico.

#25 ·
Thanks Mike for the quick reply. Problem seems to be solved. I have been using Firefox, and that seems to be the problem. I switched my Shaw Direct FreeRange to Edge and it is working properly. It might be a compatibility problem between FreeRange and Firefox?? Has anyone else experienced this? Like I said in a previous post I have little to no problems with the network sites. I use FreeRange in our motorhome while traveling, so WIFI speed is also a problem at times, but not in this case. Thanks again for letting me know the problem was on my end.