Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

New Firmware 50.25

30K views 76 replies 26 participants last post by  hiljoball 
#1 ·
I just received notice on my 605 that a new firmware version is available for download. I am currently at 48.14.

I have one 600 two 605 and one 630. Haven't had any issues with any of my receivers so far. Wonder what features/fixes this version will provide.

#60 ·
I dont know if this is a bug or if its by design but I found an issue with the pvr list.

I had The Masked Singer tapped last night but unfortunately it was a baseball game that was recorded instead.
So I went to look for when the episode would be repeated to tape it again and noticed in the pvr list its not set to record next Wednesday because its conflicting with shows.

So I went to check the upcoming recordings list and see that because survivor is on on so many channels at the same time and it has a higher priority than the masked singer the pvr has allotted the tuners to tape it from two different channels which causes the masked singer to be in conflict.

It gets worse because the two shows are on at 12am and the same thing happens.

The Pvr should pick a channel for the survivor and then ignore it for any other channel and/or timeslot.

This could explain why someyimes that it missed recording some shows.

#62 ·
No they are both set to record "NEW" episodes only.

These two shows at this same time slot take over 3 pages of the listing.
I also checked at midnight which when they are on again, survivor is set to tape and the masked singer is in conflict again.

There is a problem with the algorithm to create the recording list. I hope it gets corrected soon.

Nobody else records Survivor and Masked Singer to confirm this?

#63 ·
I have an 830 and i record both NEW survivor (higher priority) and masked singer but i have them both set to record a specific channel to avoid the problem you are explaining. You are correct, because to experiment i changed survivor from a specific channel to record only HD, and then then the pvr is set to record survivor on both tuners, with conflicts on about 20+ other channels and it will not be able to record masked singer either. If i change survivor back to one channel, then the problem is corrected. I believe the problem is that survivor doesn't appear to have a specific episode info shown for the upcoming episodes? Not sure, but maybe since all the upcoming airings just show Survivor the pvr thinks they are all NEW but different episodes? so it tries to record them all. Not sure this makes sense, but somehow, i think the pvr thinks they are all different NEW episodes. Odd because I have several episodes of survivor still on my 830 pvr and they all have the season/episode number showing, yet the next upcoming survivor episodes do not have the season/episode number showing. I believe something in the background information, is making the pvr believe that these NEW survivor episodes are all different even though they are new, and that is why it would try and record it at the same time on multiple channels. If it was correct, then if you select NEW episodes on HD only, and a show airs on multiple channels at the same time, it will select one channel for you, and if the same episode of the show is on another channel at the same time, you will see that blue symbol telling you that this episode is scheduled to be recorded on another channel. I am assuming that if the episode information for survivor gets updated before next wednesday, the pvr will be smart enough to correct itself and only record the episode on one channel. If not, then maybe just select a specific channel for Survivor and it should help your problem.

Again hope this makes sense, but the problem is certainly in the episode information so that the pvr knows these NEW episodes are all the same NEW episodes.

#65 ·
i have noticed this happen with survivor before, so perhaps it will update the episode information before next wednesday, and if so it may correct itself so the record NEW episodes on HD only should work like it should. If not, maybe you can cancel one of the duplicate recording set the recording you want manually for that day, or use the timeshift and recording the missing show at a later/earlier time if available or VOD as last option.

#66 ·
Separate Clocks and Not Available Non-PVR Receivers

It seems that manual timers keep a separate clock from the main clock of the satellite receiver - guide etc. Why did they design it that way? It makes no sense.

The switch between Daylight Savings Time and Standard Time screws up my manual timers. The guide times change with the switch, but not the manual timers. I have to reprogram all of them and I have a lot of them. It would be great if the guide on my HDDSR600 could be used like the PVR for recording purposes.

I know that there will be no updates for the 600 series. It appears that Shaw Direct only offer the PVR 830 as its only receiver, at least that is what I see on the SD website under COMPARE.

Will Shaw Direct offer a basic receiver in future, i.e. not a PVR?

#67 ·
There is also an 800 receiver available as a replacement for the 600. Re manual timers, yes you have to do a little work but typically not reprogram them totally. You need to look at the individually and then use the back button to back out. They should reset to the correct time without having to edit start and end times.

#68 ·
I tried to change the times, but the timer would not fire with a date starting in the past. I have erased all the timers and started over. The WEEKDAY is complicated since my timers start after midnight and the week-end shows are different. I hope I will remember the SELECT TIMER and just hit the GO BACK button this spring. Thanks for the tip.

#69 ·
If you have back to back timers just remember to sequence the changes properly. In the fall start with the earliest and do the edit/go back sequence and move your way forward through the timers. In the spring start the edit with the latest timer if it is back to back with another.

#74 ·
Coding Error - Manual Timers

It is my understanding that the 830 manual timers have the same daylight savings problem as the 630. I think it is a programming error not to have "Options" automatically updating like the PVR recordings to show the proper time for each timer.

Unavailable 800 non-pvr receivers at Shaw Direct per
https://www.shawdirect.ca/english/equipment/compare-receivers/

#75 ·
Correct - manual timers are relatively "unsupported" (not really the right word...). We haven't been given a good, true use case for them over the "smart" features, so the high (and I mean high) level of effort to account for DST changes isn't worth it among other priorities in the funnel. I understand you find them useful, but the amount of users of them overall is extremely low, sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.