Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

New Firmware 50.25

30K views 76 replies 26 participants last post by  hiljoball 
#1 ·
I just received notice on my 605 that a new firmware version is available for download. I am currently at 48.14.

I have one 600 two 605 and one 630. Haven't had any issues with any of my receivers so far. Wonder what features/fixes this version will provide.

#32 ·
Missed recordings with new firmware???

We've lost two recordings since the firmware update: X-Files and a Coronation Street. We can't figure out why they didn't record - at least Corrie is a regular program that's been set up for ages. X-Files recorded the first two episodes correctly - not the 3rd.

What's up?

#34 ·
I was talking to tech about another issue yesterday and asked a second level guy about multi-delete. It took him about 10 minutes to investigate, but it seems that choosing multi then brings up a screen to check each event you want to delete, then deleting the bundle chosen. While I applaud the functionality, roll-out is terrible if we were all afraid to try it and the upper level tech had no idea how it worked.

Reactions: Leafs13
#41 ·
Work Arounds - 3 Shows because 1 minute overlap

Thank you! Until Shaw realizes this, there are two options:
1. Manual Recording - the PVR list does not name the show that was recorded
2. PVR Options - Raise the priority of the most desired show in the PVR-Options listing.
You will lose the lower rated show in order to record the higher priority show

...Theres no option to end recording sooner or on the hour.

#38 ·
The X-Files that was supposed to record on Fox on Monday is set to record on Space this Friday. But there was no conflict - why would it shift the recording to Friday?

It appears that Corrie was shifted to record on a CBC we don't receive. Why? Dunno.

We're checking each upcoming recording individually - we have no faith in the automatic recording since the firmware update.

#43 ·
I think X-Files should do an episode called "Shaw's 630"

As I mentioned before, we're having trouble getting it to record properly. We brought up the guide for tonight and it's on Ch034 at 8pm. Pressed record this episode. The 630 wanders off and does its scheduling thing. After half an hour or however long it was scheduling (just seems like half and hour) we checked and yes, it was set to record at 8pm tonight . . . . on Ch037!!!! Let's just say we don't want to record on Ch037 right now. Ultimately we discovered "Other Channels" and that we could force it to record on Ch034. For some reason "Other channels" only allows you to set one channel (e.g. if we set CTV Ch034 (and its clone 293), if we had previously set Fox, it drops Fox).

There are NO recordings immediately before or after so there are no conflicts.

So why the heck would it set up 037 when we told it we want 034?

The way it is right now, we can't trust this thing to record anything on its own - have to check everything then often beat it into submission.

(and a separate whine - we had 6 one hour programs set up the other night - two in parallel at a time running for 3 hours straight. The **** thing recorded 5 of the 6).

Arrrrgh!

#45 ·
new firmware

I got mine without notice think in the middle of the night where it stped a reccrding in the middle of the progrmme to start the download. Sort of pissed me off. Like nt haiving the notices on screen allows me to transfer stuff from teh 630 PVR to a DVD when it gets to full and I need to delete stuff, I hate on screen graphics and think that whoever invntedsnipes and onscreen logos should be shot or perhpas something ab it less drrastic.

I found the multi delete whihc is nice, but once I slect many things to delete I have not figured out what to do to delete them all anyone figure this out.

I have alos noticed that the PVR will try and record things the first time they are on and if three things are on at once it does not find a later rerun of one of the toop two programmes in the poriority list and record that so the 3rd things that is only on once can be recorded.

At least now back to where it was before the last upgrade.

#47 ·
Just discovered that an old feature has returned. It used to be in the guide that if you typed in a number that didn't exist or was hidden the guide would move to the next nearest channel number. The recent behaviour was that if typed in a number that didn't exist the guide display would not move. This feature was removed several revisions ago but seems to have returned in this release. I miss keyed a channel number and was surprised the guide moved to whatever the next channel number was.

#49 ·
Skip, fast forward sequence problem

I have not seen anyone report this glitch that was introduced by this new update. If on playing a recording, you skip forward (or back) and then immediately fast forward, it will fast forward for a second or two and then resume normal speed all by itself. If you then hit fast forward again, it will stay in ff until you take other action. If after a skip you wait 2 seconds and then ff, it will stay in ff. Apparently few people do this but I do it often and it is very annoying. Is Shaw aware of this?

#51 ·
Good question, Gary. My excuses are: initially I was in the US and phoning is not an option and I really didn't think of using other methods to contact them. I get home and lots of things to do , then summer comes with less TV, even less sports ( I'm not into baseball) and I get sort of used to it. But it really boils down to procrastination, the same reason that I haven't posted here earlier.
However, with a nudge from you, I decided it was time and after thinking about how to contact them, I decided that using email was the best way because it would give the person replying a chance to research if necessary. I sent it yesterday and am awaiting a reply.

#53 ·
Answer from Shaw

I wrote:
My question has to do with something that has been bothering me ever since the new firmware, 50.25, for the 630 was put out.
If on playing a recording, you skip forward (or back) and then immediately fast forward, it will fast forward for a second or two and then resume normal speed all by itself. If you then hit fast forward again, it will stay in ff until you take other action. But if after a skip you wait a few seconds and then ff, it will stay in ff. So it is just if the fast forward follows immediately after a skip that this spontaneous action takes place.
Has this glitch in the this firmware release been noted and will it be fixed in the next update?

Shaw answered:
Hi Ron,

Thank you for contacting Shaw Direct, this email is in response to your request received 10/13/2016.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to mention this. We will be sure to forward your feedback to our technical team for them to review this. With every update of our firmware we strive to correct issues such as these, and getting feedback is what allow us to do so.

I hope this answers your questions, please do not hesitate to get back to us for further assistance. We are available by chat through the Shaw Direct web site, and by phone at 1-888-554-7827.

#55 ·
Was the download of firmware successful for you?

It is my understanding that a decent Ecb (signal to noise ratio; more good to bad ratio of data) must be available to the download. This is to prevent defective firmware being installed. I believe the figure Shaw Direct recommends is at least an Ecb of 6.0.

If the download did not complete: A low Ecb/Signal Level will occur if your dish is not properly aligned. You might want to check for foliage, trees or other obstructions that may lower the signal level. Perhaps the wind has moved the dish.

If you don't see any obstruction, I suggest that you give Shaw Direct a telephone call to ask for their advice if your signal levels are generally low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.