RG-6 coax - straight run or splice? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-10-13, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

RG-6 coax - straight run or splice?

Bought a 50' coil of RG-6 coax from Walmart to run to the new dish location, but fell about 20 feet short. It was a pain to get it to where it is now - down inside the wall into basement, along stringers, up the chimney cavity into the attic ... was planning on going out the gable vent to the dish on the peak. It's strung almost to the gable - about halfway across the attic.

So, will I lose any image quality if I buy one of those coax splices and another 30 feet of cable? Or should I get a 75' or 100' coil and re-run it?

If there's not noticeable difference, I'd just as soon splice ....

Last edited by 57; 2015-10-13 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-10-13, 10:29 PM

You can easily add a new piece of RG6.

Use outdoor rated compression connectors, and an F81 Barrel COnnector rated for 3 GHz.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-10-14, 08:42 AM

Some of my cable runs are direct without splice. Some have splices with good compression fittings and there is no noticeable degradation.

I have one receiver in an awkward place so I used an existing piece of RG59 already in the wall. There IS some degradation of signal strength but it (usually) works. It's the first one to go out when bad weather rolls in.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-10-17, 10:04 AM

See How It Goes With A Splice

It is always better to have a straight run, but reality comes into play. Since it would be difficult (not impossible) to re-wire, I suggest that you see how it goes with a splice. You may re-visit the question if you have signal problems down the road.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-10-17, 11:02 AM

If the splice using the correct F81 as pointed out, is indoors, you will be fine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2015-10-18, 11:10 AM

I've seen all kinds of junk coax, and sometimes I have to make it work, so I change the pre-made ends to compression-type and join it with a blue F81 (a.k.a. barrel, coupler, etc) and it often works in a pinch. But I work with IPTV, not satellite.

There's a Facebook group for cable techs where they often post pics of hacked together ends by customers or electricians. The most common problem we see is the centre conductor sticking out way past the threaded part.

Authorized Service Provider (Contractor) for MTS Allstream. Any views expressed are my own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in