NFL Sunday Ticket: 6 days until season starts; still can't order - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Slugger
  • 1 Post By Slugger
  • 1 Post By Simonizer
  • 1 Post By johnnucleo

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

NFL Sunday Ticket: 6 days until season starts; still can't order

3.5 weeks ago when you couldn't order I was mildly concerned. Now it's kind of ridiculous. 3 weeks ago I booked an installation appointment with Cogeco for this Friday morning just in case Shaw jacks the price up or even worse, doesn't offer it. Friday I called again and got the same line: "We (CSRs) have no info on price; we'll call you when it's available to be ordered." I really thought I'd have long since cancelled this Cogeco install, but now it's looking like I'm just going to switch to the Super Sports Pack.

I think it's cute how Shaw is presumably playing hardball in their negotiations with the NFL and thinks they'll somehow get the upper hand. The NFL wants what they want and you either pay it or you don't get their programming and deal with the fallout from your subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 05:00 PM

yeah, i'm surprised, too. fwiw, the first week has been freeview for as long as I've been a sub (since 2008)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-07, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

They can only offer a free view if they secure the rights to broadcast the package, presumably. The NFL might let them free view week 1 without a deal assuming negotiations are heading in the right direction, but that doesn't sound like the NFL I know. Not letting Shaw run the free view just gives more leverage to the NFL so I highly doubt there's a free view with no deal.

All I know is I got to have my NFL fix come Sunday and if that means switching to Cogeco then so be it.
Leafs13 likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-08, 12:12 PM

For sure Shaw Direct will have NFL Sunday Ticket, and freeview Week 1 is already confirmed. The reason you can't order it yet, is because they are waiting for Shaw Cable to sort out details about NFL Redzone. You can actually order Sunday Ticket on regular Shaw Cable already, but Shaw Direct who essentially just mirrors what Shaw Cable does, is waiting until everything is sorted before advertising, or allowing people to sub. It's crazy, that this has happened two years in a row now with Shaw, and NFL Redzone, but it is what it is. I guarantee Sunday Ticket at the bare minimum will be available to Shaw Direct customers. Shaw Cable is pricing it at $199 for the season right now, so I'm guessing it will be similar?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-08, 01:34 PM
Rookie

channel 489/490 gives a price of $239 for the whole season. Includes redzone. No mention of splitting payment into 4 payments. Also no mention yet of free preview.

And no mention yet of anything on the Shaw web site.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-08, 02:07 PM

Pretty sure that's last year's info. I think someone already alluded to that in another thread. Could be wrong though.

Free Preview, Week 1 is listed on both Shaw and Shaw Direct websites.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-10, 07:19 AM

NFL RedZone HD has appeared on Free Preview on 476. NFL Sunday Ticket is on 477-490, also Free Preview - I presume they are also HD. All #'s Advanced line-up.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-10, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, talked with them again this morning. They still won't let you order it and they still have no idea what they're charging for it this year (or at least that info hasn't been released to CSRs), but the Week 1 freeview is a go.

Irrelevant to me, however, as I cancelled effective tomorrow evening. Going to let Cogeco come in and install. With Super Sports Pack I know my costs: 7 months x $33.99 (+ tax) = ~$280 for Sunday Ticket and NHL Centre Ice (all I care about, the rest of SSP is a bonus). Who knows what Shaw is going to charge?

Last year Shaw charged $239 + tax just for Sunday Ticket. I didn't even bother with Centre Ice. I originally came to Shaw because they used to offer Sunday Ticket and Centre Ice in a combo (like around $230 + tax total for both, iirc). You can figure NFL will be at least the same $239 + tax as last year. Even if it stays at $239, 7 months of SSP ends up being $237.93 and I get NFL and Centre Ice at Cogeco (+ NCAA, MLB and whatever else SSP has). Seems like a no brainer to me.

See ya, Shaw!
atvnut likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-16, 01:49 AM

Any update? I used the online chat last week and the rep told me that I still couldn't order. That was Friday. I got the week 1 free preview but I haven't heard a thing for this week. Anyone have good news?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-16, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

I got an email from them, even though I cancelled Shaw last week because I couldn't order it. A friend still with Shaw told me this morning:

Sunday Ticket (no RedZone) = $199 + tax
Add RedZone: + $50 + tax

Can you order RedZone standalone? They still don't know; told him to call back Friday. (wtf?? It's nearly week 2 and they don't know what they're selling. Basically this is the reason why I left last week).
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-16, 09:58 AM

Well, you can't really blame Shaw for this one. The NFL schedule hasn't been too consistent. Only for the last 95 years they've started their season in September.
frenchophile likes this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-16, 11:08 AM

I wrote that late last night and hadn't checked my email. I checked today and there was a SD promotional email and ST was a part of it. Just logged in to the chat again and I was taken care of in just a few minutes. (I love the chat vs the phone). I am subscribed and happy. My football season is saved. LOL They offer two payment methods lump sum $199 vs 4 payments $55 I took the lump sum.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-16, 12:28 PM

You can order standalone yes (once they open up the ability to order). It's been posted on the Shaw Community updates page that it will be standalone offering (don't need Sunday Ticket, or even NFL Network as you did in previous years). Shaw Direct following same direction.
MSM likes this.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-09-18, 02:28 PM

Just tried to add RedZone but it is still not available to order.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in