New Firmware Version 48.14 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-18, 02:42 PM

Before the update, sometimes a show I used NEW EPISODES to schedule would not be set to record. Reason unknown; no conflicts, previous recordings not running a minute or so over or next recording starting early. I dunno why this occasionally occurred.

When this comes up, we RECORD THIS EPISODE. It shouldn't happen, but this is not a new bug. So far I have not seen this behavior with the new update - I said so far.

Now the guide shows why a show is not being set to record - this is new.

I have successfully deleted shows from UPCOMING EVENTS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-19, 08:46 PM

Is there a way to disable the help tip during the screen saver with this new firmware just out??? I have a plasma HDTV and its burning in my screen. I want a dark screensaver. Please don't tell me that shaw would force this stupid option on us Plasma owners????

Last edited by 57; 2015-07-19 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Language, moved to firmware thread.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-19, 10:16 PM

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11
@bluestarz , before the update, "Smart Record" defaulted recording events with a specific channel. With the new firmware, "Smart Record" now defaults to record with channels "SD only" or "HD only" instead of the specific channel you requested the recording to occur. You can change this option by updating the recording event to specify the channel you want the show to record on instead.

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-19, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romany View Post
Warning ! when you pause a PVR recording the screen use to go into screen saving mode,
Now is it's a full bright Shaw Promo screen for Pay per view VOD and other junk.
I'll have to see if I can disable this.
I can't believe Shaw would be so stupid as to disable the screen saver by default.
Romany...

that is their new screen saver

i hate it also,,, a screen saver should have the moving logo like before, not stupid advertising for their VOD
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-19, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0TC0M View Post
Is there a way to disable the help tip during the screen saver with this new firmware just out??? I have a plasma HDTV and its burning in my screen. I want a dark screensaver. Please don't tell me that shaw would force this stupid option on us Plasma owners????
i agree,,, i hate this new screen saver..

the old one was fine and did what a screen saver should do.... Shaw Direct needs to give us the option of having the traditional screen saver back....
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-19, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestarz View Post
Before the update, I had few problems. After the update I can no longer schedule to record a show on the west coast to avoid conflicts with my other shows. I have to do it manually but I can't select record new episodes. I'm trying to record Extant on Wednesdays but to avoid other shows I try to schedule at midnight on the west coast channel. Before the update it would just be set to record at that time each week. Now when I do it, it automatically selects the earlier time instead. It's like it can no longer see the difference between channels just the show. Now I have to remember to set it manually each week. Not happy because I will forget to do it.
it will default to HD or SD and not the westcoast feed, but you can go into the recording event and edit the channel you wish to record in the Channels option within the recording event option... a bit of a pain, but you can select the channel there
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-20, 03:25 AM
Veteran

Yikes, this update seems to be abit of step backwards.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-20, 09:17 AM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsnbrd View Post
How do you do that? There is no option "start late". The only way I know of is to create a manual timer, which then leaves out the title and description.
Yes I see that. I do not know whether the option disappeared in a earlier release. Sorry.
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-20, 02:23 PM
Rookie

I was also really unhappy with new screensaver as I have a really nice Panny plasma. Sent a strongly worded e-mail off to Shaw Direct. Suggest everyone who is unhappy about this to do the same.
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-21, 10:12 AM

Thumbs down Stingray Icon Burn-In

Before the update, audio channel 933 (smooth jazz) would display tune information seconds after the new tune begins. The information would linger for a few seconds and then the screen would go black. Now the information is in large font which I like and displays an unchanging Stingray graphic at the bottom right of the screen which I don't like.

The screen never goes black. The information changes, but the icon lasts as long as the channel is active. The only alternative is to power down the TV set.

Even though I have an LCD display panel, I worry a bit about burn in. Fortunately I normally use another TV in another room to tune to 933 and then turn off that TV set to listen to the music.

I would be livid about the ICON burn in potential if I had a plasma panel! Commercial or medical offices that use Stingray music on their waiting room TV sets should be concerned.
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-22, 10:05 AM

Thumbs down Burn-In, Near-Static Images, Pixel Shifting

Per bravo 1, I emailed Shaw Direct about the new static images. I received a prompt and courteous reply. I like that about Shaw.

The response said that there should be no burn-in due to their use of PIXEL SHIFTING.

I don't understand how an image or text that stays in the same position moving only a few pixels in the same area would not leave a burn-in. Even if the pixels fade in and out and change color(?), I think that an image or text larger than a few pixels would burn-in as a blurred image.

Maybe it is my lack of understanding of the technology, but my perception is that a relatively static image is not good.

Shaw should eliminate static (or near-static) images just to assuage the apprehension of customers to real or just feared burn-in. I hope that this is not an exercise to use new technology for their own internal delight, serving no good purpose for the customer.

Excerpts Quoted Below:

"The Stingray and music channels have what is called pixel shifting. This is very subtle and may not be picked up unless you are looking at it really close. All the pixels will slide to the side just a little bit. As well the titles will fade in and out. This eliminates the possibility of an image being burnt into a TV screen."

"…while the images do shift by a few pixels, it will also fade in and out. This keeps the pixels on the TV from burning in as they are constantly changing colour in the fade."

"I have forwarded your suggestion to our Product and Development team about having a black screen saver developed as an option for a future software updated."
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-22, 01:11 PM

Anyone else finds that the receiver is now slower to respond to the remote control?

Maybe its my remote but it seems I have to press buttons several times for the receiver to register it.
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-22, 01:45 PM

I would say you need new batteries...that's what mine does when it's time for a change
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-22, 01:53 PM

For myself I find when I'm listening to the stingray channels I leave my TV off as I have my sat receiver hooked to my stereo receiver. I guess the drawback in this my stereo amp is always on when I'm watching TV. I just like the clearer better sound from 100 watts pr channel 5 channels & a powered sub of my stereo as opposed to the 3" speakers of my TV.
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 2015-07-22, 03:52 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlStatic View Post
Anyone else finds that the receiver is now slower to respond to the remote control?

Maybe its my remote but it seems I have to press buttons several times for the receiver to register it.
Sometimes they change the sensitivity of the IR eye with new firmware updates. Check out the following thread on that subject:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-h...r-stb-pvr.html

This is usually easy to test by turning off your TV (or other devices) and/or moving the STB farther from the "offending devices", or other recommendations discussed in that thread.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in