Setting up dish camping - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Setting up dish camping

Hello help!
I have a DSR319RTC digital box with a LTSS subscription. I also purchased a tripod with a used round Starchoice dish. I've hooked the box and LNB directly using RG6 coaxial. Now the tough part, I haven't the slightest clue what I'm doing to align to the sky. I have zero coverage as per the install settings on the digital box.

Please help!

Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 09:16 PM
Veteran

try this Satellite Finder / Dish Alignment Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com enter the address / location of the camp, and select the desired satellite. See what it says for the az/el settings, so on. If the address isn't significantly different than your normal home address where the dish was previously installed in terms of latitude and longitude, you may not need to adjust anything...and it may just be a matter of setting the mount pipe nice and plumb, and finding the right azimuth to aim.

DB8E/VHF Yagi rotor FM Bandstop ap-8700 preamp 8way split LG lcd.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Majortom, however I just bought this dish used I've never had it installed. I don't even know what you mean by setting the AZ/EL settings. Is there a troubleshooting guide?

Travis

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 09:22 PM
Veteran

https://secure.shawdirect.ca/english...Manual_Eng.pdf

You should not have bought a round dish. Is the receiver "active"?
The modern dishes are elliptacle so you can get both satellites at one time. With the round dish you may get one sat and a simple receiver may work for some of the channels.
Azimuth is degrees west/east straight south being 180...either magnetic or true and there is magnetic variation.
elevation is degrees vertical from horizon, so level the post perfectly and then adjust the elevation of the disk.
Time to do some homework.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-13, 10:21 PM

Trad2005, you will need the identical LNB and dish as you have at home, otherwise you need to call Shaw have them change the settings on your receiver every time you move it but you need to have it all setup to do that anyway.
If the round dish is large enough you will only have to get the same LNB , but I would suggest you keep them the same to keep it simple.
You need to determine if your LNB is the old quad KU or the new XKU quad. It will say on the label.

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-14, 01:31 AM
Veteran

Basic equipment for dish alignment is a 6" level, a good compass and a chart with elevation, skew and magnetic coordinates for the area. The mounting pad needs to be stable (I'd suggest an 18" patio stone,) the top of the post needs to be vertical and the dish needs to be set to the proper skew, elevation and direction for the location. Everything after that is simple fine tuning.

I'd also suggest using the exact same dish and LNB type as the home installation.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-14, 01:19 PM
Veteran

A fence post level works much better than a 6" torpedo level, because you can view plumbness of both sides at the same time without moving the level. ie front to back and left to right. Plumb of the mounting pipe is the simplest yet most critical step and where most amateurs fail.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-14, 01:21 PM
Veteran

Thanks for the tip. Will need to get one of those, for fence posts too.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-14, 01:25 PM
Veteran

No problem, every time someone asks me to look at their satellite installation, that's the first thing I check. And 90% of the time it is off.
the only drawback to using a fence post level is that if the dish is already installed, and installed on a J-Mount, you will likely have to remove the dish assembly from the J-Mount to get a good measurement. But you would probably have to do the same using a torpedo as well.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 10:06 AM

I used a fence level (two bubble levels on a 90 degree bent piece of plastic). I sadly discovered that it was not accurate when compared with a single bubble level placed on each plane of my post. It was close for roughing in the post, but not for final set.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 11:00 AM
Veteran

I've seen new torpedo levels that were not accurate. It's best to check before buying. Torpedo levels can be checked by reversing them. They should read the same both ways. I would then compare the fence post level to a proven torpedo level.

In the case of a camping installation. Make the j-pole perpendicular to the base. Then use a torpedo level to set the base at each site. That way, it won't be necessary to remove the dish from the j-pole.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 03:41 PM
AFF

I use a the dishpointer app and that's it. I just stand behind the dish with the app and point. I don't waste time making sure the pole is level. Takes less than 2 minutes to find the sat.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 07:40 PM

I could point my Bell dish by looking at the sun and my watch. I've been using SD for two years now and it's still walkie talkies with the wife and half an hour of sweat to get the tripod mounted dish pointed accurately.

Good luck.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2015-07-16, 03:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I don't waste time making sure the pole is level. Takes less than 2 minutes to find the sat.
Not having the right skew will make one satellite weak. Not having the right elevation will make the signal harder to find. Some people may have a good eye for plumb and level and may be able to get it good enough by eye. I've seen enough reception problems on this site to know that not paying attention to getting the j-pole vertical is causing issues. Every time I see people with reception problems on one satellite only, it's a pretty good indication that the j-pole may not be plumb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in