Connect Shaw Direct PVR with one coax cable? (Yes, but only as a single tuner) - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-05-19, 07:18 PM
QCK

Well try it and let us know, I'd love to be able to do this as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-05-21, 10:59 AM
Veteran

I reckon you can use a splitter with the CSS switch (you might need their special one).

With a regular switch, or direct from the dish, you will need two coaxes.
post #63 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-05-21, 12:57 PM

The CSS Switch is what is used in the MDU environment to feed multiple receivers from a single Dish.

post #64 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-08-04, 09:38 AM
Rookie

Single wire from dish to home?

I have a customer with 4 non Dvr receivers, with 2 of the feeds now cut/non-functional. The lines are buried 200'-250', so we'd like to if possible not have to dig up the lawn/flower beds. Is there a SD lnb/switch that would allow us to not retrench? I'm well versed in DirecTv SWM & Dish Hybrid systems after 37 years of installing, but I don't know how far along SD technology is currently. Thanks.

Last edited by 57; 2017-08-04 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Moved to Existing Thread
post #65 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-08-04, 02:03 PM
Rookie

I read this thread and it doesn't seem to answer my question, hence the reason for a new one.
post #66 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-08-07, 03:19 PM

Hi Gents,

I was very interested in this technology when a friend wanted to have a 606 replaced by a 630 and didn't want to tear down walls to feed the cable. Besides I like figuring out these puzzles.

However, he moved and all this became mute. But I did figure out Shaw Direct was simply purchasing the CSS Multiswitch from a European Supplier (Global Invacom) and "brand" labeling it. I also found a listing on eBay for an EMP-Centauri Multiswitch with the same capability but it timed out and I never recorded the model number for the switch. Sorry.

Perhaps one of you can play detective and pick up the ball from here. Of course this is less of an issue now as they updated the Firmware and you can set up the 630s with a single feed; but you can't record and watch another channel at the same time.

Regards,
Jim
post #67 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-08-07, 04:56 PM

I think antenna man is asking if you can run 4 receivers off two cables. (I don't know)
post #68 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-08-07, 05:06 PM

Normally, you need 4 cables to run 4 receivers. But if you can lay your hands on a Shaw Direct CSS Multiswitch (or equivalent) it may be possible.

Regards,
Jim
post #69 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-08-16, 02:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I think antenna man is asking if you can run 4 receivers off two cables. (I don't know)
Yes, exactly. No DVRs, just single tuner receivers. His receivers are all the newer small ones, don't have the model in front of me and I do very little with Shaw. I upgraded the LNB last year to the X version.

Quote:
Normally, you need 4 cables to run 4 receivers. But if you can lay your hands on a Shaw Direct CSS Multiswitch (or equivalent) it may be possible.
He's been running with 4 cables in the ground for years, but a couple of years ago one failed, which he could deal with one missing receiver, now a 2nd cable has failed, leaving only 2 good runs. I told him I'd check to see if Shaw technology has advanced so we can use only the 2 remaining cables, before we dig up his lawn & flower beds.

Do you have a model for an "equivalent"? I have accounts with many satellite distributors, but I know they'll have to have a model number, because the days of talking to someone you can describe a part to, has long passed.
post #70 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-08-16, 03:53 PM

Re cable failed. Would it be possible to use the failed cable to pull a new cable through the conduit.

LONSat
post #71 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-08-17, 02:49 PM
Rookie

No, cable is direct buried.
post #72 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-08-17, 03:50 PM

Not sure if I'm on the right lines, but something like this perhaps? Note that I know very little about the technicalities, but I know CSS is short-hand for Channel Stacking Switch (or perhaps Cascadable Switch?). This one goes up to 2300MHz with external power. There are many others on that page so surely one must work?

Click Here

Or perhaps this is more appropriate?:

Click Here

Last edited by CrispyPotato; 2017-08-17 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Slight error! / Additional
post #73 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-08-17, 06:39 PM

Also found this but not sure if it's of any use at all:

Click Here
post #74 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-10-17, 03:42 PM
Rookie

I haven't been able find the switch we've been talking about, here on the wrong side of the border, but the customer has offices in PQ & will be leaving Thursday for 3 weeks to represent in the Inuit lands. He's very technically illiterate, so I want to know precisely what I should tell him to look for, "Shaw Direct CSS Multiswitch" correct? He may know someone at Shaw. Anyone have the French translation? Thanks.
post #75 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-10-18, 08:01 AM

To the best of my knowledge, the Shaw CSS Switch is ONLY available for use in MDU scenario's. They certainly also require an extra piece of equipment at the receiver to 'downconvert' the signals. So these would also be required.

I am not sure on the LNBF's used but have a feeling that there will be 2 separate dish's or at the very least 2 LNBF's, one for each bird.

It is possible that the newer bird, G1 (?) might require a 3rd one, I am not sure about that.

I do know that the CSS System is very expensive.

Also, you would then need to go into the Receivers menu and tell it that you are using CSS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in