Connect Shaw Direct PVR with one coax cable? (Yes, but only as a single tuner) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-27, 12:29 PM

I'm still not sure how this device is wired. When I had Bell, there was nothing special at the LNB and a splitter at the receiver. I guess the electronics to do this were in the Bell LNB.

What do you have to add to the Shaw at the dish end?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-27, 12:51 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
On Bell, the LNB (or multiswitch if utilized) was indeed "special" (It was DPP technology) and there was no splitter at the receiver end, it was a separator. A splitter is NOT the same as a separator.

Here are the Bell Installation Threads:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/183-...-installs.html

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/183-...44-switch.html

So far there is no home application that allows for a single line and the use of both tuners with Shaw Direct. I believe it has only run properly on a single tuner with one cable connected since the option in the latest firmware.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #48 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-31, 11:44 AM
Veteran

There is info out there, one place an apparent installer forum.

From what I get, all the satellite leads connect to this CSS switch, it has some standard outputs/ pass throughs, and a CSS multiplexed output, and a DC in (from a wall adapter).

On the 6xx receivers it is just a hidden (or not so hidden) menu option.
cheddarbestest likes this.

post #49 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-05-30, 01:56 AM
Rookie

Wouldn't a high frequency splitter work, like one that goes up to 3000mhz?

From how I see it, I'll need a 4x8 MS if I have more then one receiver. 4 lines reserved for a CSS switch just to create one line for a PVR just to put a splitter on the end. While the remaining 4 can be used for other switches.

Or CSS switches in series of 4 just to make up for the other 3 ports I'll be losing just to fully utilize my 4x8 switch.

Or just a series of CSS in 4s to regain the full use of my LNB.

From there I'd have to access a hidden menu just to use the CSS functionality?

That's basically what I've gathered, but is it going to be cheaper then just running direct lines for each tuner?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #50 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-06-08, 10:48 AM
Veteran

From what I recall, the CSS switch has a pass through, so you can hang another CSS switch, or a standard 4x8 switch off of.

Cheaper? It depends what your time is worth hunting one down, vs installing more coax.
post #51 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-06-12, 02:18 PM
Rookie

What about the output? In my RV I have two cables from the shaw dish to the HDPVR 630 but my motorhome is pre wired to the tvs with RG6 coax cable. I can connect HDMI to the front tv, but how can I connect the back tv to the same box? Can I run the front tv off HDMI and the back tv off the composite or component outlet with an adapter to coax cable?
post #52 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-06-12, 05:15 PM

garth: you can connect the RCA cables (red white yellow) to either an RF modulator or an old VCR, from which you can run your RG6 to the tv in the back

all the feeds are active, so the hdmi and the component will output the same
post #53 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-03-08, 05:17 PM

Has anyone had any luck recently obtaining and installing a CSS switch? I recently had Shaw Direct installed and there is only 1 line available for the receiver from the old Bell installation. I really don't want new black cables trailing all over the outside of the house and the installer told me I just had to call Shaw and ask them to install a "CSS Switch". So I called Shaw Direct and asked for one but they say that was a pilot program that was discontinued.

We can make do with one tuner at the PVR. It's just disappointing that we can't watch live TV while the PVR is recording a program.

Thanks in advance for any information.

-- dave604
post #54 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-03-08, 06:32 PM

i thought i had a way, but it didn't work. sorry
post #55 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-03-12, 10:52 AM

It's all good Frenchophile, We are happy with the PVR in single tuner mode, it would just be a bonus to be able to watch while recording.

-- dave604
post #56 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-03-12, 06:31 PM

You CAN watch while recording - just has to be something pre-recorded
post #57 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-03-14, 11:40 AM

I remember the days of VCR and C-Band. We had to synchronize the timers of both devices and be able to only watch the channel that was being recorded. I might replace my DSR600 with my working 630 when and if I get a model 8xx when it becomes available.

Good to have the option of using the single cable on the 600 for use with the 630.
post #58 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-05-17, 02:00 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
Gents,

I too am interested in this hardware so I am searching about for info about it.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's a 1212180000009GI => Click on the image above to see a much larger image. (Or squint at the one below )

Here's how to tune it using a Super Buddy Satellite Meter.

Code:
http://www.appliedin.com/www/assets/products/SuperBuddy/downloads/Shaw_Direct_CSS_Switch_Super_Buddy.pdf
I'm figuring out how to wire it in => other than the 4 LNB outputs into it on top which is pretty obvious. The instruction book at the above link infers a typical 4X8 Multiswitch connects to the bottom 4 Sat outputs so you can cascade, so I'm assuming a CSS connections on the left go to a legacy Reciever via one connection where you install a Perfect Vision power passing splitter PV23-302 near the receiver, and connect two short pieces of Coax to connect to the rear of the unit. This is similar to Bell. If it's true the new firmware allow a single connection to the 630 then it's even simpler -no splitter! (I see no rational for a 3 way splitter- maybe Wizzmer's installer only had a 3 way handy.)

The CSS technology is a worldwide standard and Shaw seems to source them from Global Invacom. Shaw recommends polarity blockers ahead of the CSS Switch, but a regular mutiswitch is an option ahead of the CSS Switch as I've found Installer posts (dating back to 2014!) where they work fine. I suppose you could use a 4X8 and feed 4 outputs into the CSS Switch, leaving the other 4 outputs for other Receivers.

Looks like this should be out there somewhere. The post I found indicated that Shaw didn't even let all of their installers have it. And they lost lots of business because of it.
So I am looking to get a second PVR but it is not really possible without a lot of work to use 2 coax cables. Reading through this thread, I am not 100% clear on this. If you already have a multi-switch installed (let's say the basement) and you have one coax in the bedroom, can you just install this Perfect Vision spltiter at the coax and use two small additional coax cables to go into the PVR for complete PVR capabilities (two tuners)?
post #59 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-05-19, 12:58 AM
QCK

You will need one line for each individual tuner from either a multi-switch or the LNB at the dish. No splitters allowed to feed a Shaw Direct 630 PVR, sorry.
post #60 of 94 (permalink) Old 2017-05-19, 11:51 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCK View Post
You will need one line for each individual tuner from either a multi-switch or the LNB at the dish. No splitters allowed to feed a Shaw Direct 630 PVR, sorry.
This seems to be contradicted by the previously quoted post. A standard splitter will definitely not work but if you have one that extends to 2300 MHz with power passing, I don't see that it would not work but looking to get confirmation from someone who has tried it. Again, this pre-supposes an existing multi-switch configuration and the additional splitter is only to feed the two incoming lines for the PVR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in