Connect Shaw Direct PVR with one coax cable? (Yes, but only as a single tuner) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-11, 01:24 AM

Cool Shaw Direct CSS Multiswitch

Gents,

I too am interested in this hardware so I am searching about for info about it.

[IMG][/IMG]

It's a 1212180000009GI => Click on the image above to see a much larger image. (Or squint at the one below )

Here's how to tune it using a Super Buddy Satellite Meter.

Code:
http://www.appliedin.com/www/assets/products/SuperBuddy/downloads/Shaw_Direct_CSS_Switch_Super_Buddy.pdf
I'm figuring out how to wire it in => other than the 4 LNB outputs into it on top which is pretty obvious. The instruction book at the above link infers a typical 4X8 Multiswitch connects to the bottom 4 Sat outputs so you can cascade, so I'm assuming a CSS connections on the left go to a legacy Reciever via one connection where you install a Perfect Vision power passing splitter PV23-302 near the receiver, and connect two short pieces of Coax to connect to the rear of the unit. This is similar to Bell. If it's true the new firmware allow a single connection to the 630 then it's even simpler -no splitter! (I see no rational for a 3 way splitter- maybe Wizzmer's installer only had a 3 way handy.)

The CSS technology is a worldwide standard and Shaw seems to source them from Global Invacom. Shaw recommends polarity blockers ahead of the CSS Switch, but a regular mutiswitch is an option ahead of the CSS Switch as I've found Installer posts (dating back to 2014!) where they work fine. I suppose you could use a 4X8 and feed 4 outputs into the CSS Switch, leaving the other 4 outputs for other Receivers.

Looks like this should be out there somewhere. The post I found indicated that Shaw didn't even let all of their installers have it. And they lost lots of business because of it.
frenchophile likes this.

Regards,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-11, 08:03 AM

Hi Jim,

You found the same info as I found. Seems like SD just aren't interested in offering this freely. I've e-mailed them asking for more information, but I don't think I will get too far from the front-line people. They don't even know that The Movie Network has re-branded slightly and now has numbered channels. Still, if I do get any useful information, I will update you and the forum.

Regards,
CrispyPotato
frenchophile likes this.
post #33 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-12, 09:14 AM

Question Stacked ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzmer View Post
... The CSS Multiswitch (SHAW # 1310100000087GI) combines all frequencies together so it can be sent over a single coax.
Is this functionally what Star Choice did with "Stacked" years ago and quit the method?

post #34 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-12, 02:21 PM
Veteran

Mostly no. Stacked just put both polarities of each satellite on one coax, by shifting the horizontal 550Mhz higher (in reality down converting the Ku band to L band with 550Mz lower local oscillator. All tuners selecting that satellite would tune what transponder they need directly.

CSS is closer to DirecTV SWiM (single wire multiswitch). The coax is divided into 6 RF "channels". Each tuner is tuned to one of the channels, sending a command (over 22 Khz) to the multiswitch to convert a normal transponder frequency to the channel assigned to that tuner.
post #35 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 08:21 AM

I have a 630 and I'm presently running two coaxial cables to it. I have a 600 the better half views quite a bit as I'm usually watching or downloading sports. Where my wife TV is would make it impossible now to run another coaxial cable. It is my understanding I can now run with the one coaxial cable which is already there.
I had downloaded on the 630 I presently have so I unhooked one cable just to see what would be the results, I only get ever other channel. I checked again to make sure I have the proper current firmware which is 50.25.

Reading on here it says I will need a splitter which a two short coaxial cables.

My question do they now supply the splitter and cables when I purchase a new 630, if not what is the best splitter or will any kind work satisfactorily. I realize she will not be able to download one channel and watch another at the same time, but there are programs she will like to download when she is away during the day.

Any information would be appreciated.
post #36 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 09:54 AM

You can run the 630 on one coax but you have to go into settings a tell it that there is only one coax. Without that step it will try to use the second input and the behaviour you describe will be seen.

LONSat
post #37 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 10:19 AM
Veteran

@ atvnut

You can't "split" satellite cables. You need to run a new line from the LNB to keep full functionality . But as LonSat said you have to reconfigure the 630... Press Options-Enter/OK... scroll down to PVR Settings and 'Enable' Single Tuner Mode. Just remember you will NOT be able to record on one channel and watch another channel. You can only watch the same channel it's recording or watch another recorded show.
atvnut likes this.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #38 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 04:39 PM

Question

Since you have a 630 with 2 sat cables, how is the 600 connected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvnut View Post
I have a 630 and I'm presently running two coaxial cables to it. I have a 600 the better half views quite a bit as I'm usually watching or downloading sports.
post #39 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-23, 08:27 PM

The LNB has 4 outlets, 2 go to the 630, 1 to the 600, I still have one on the LNB left to use. The problem was where the 600 is used the cable has been installed some time ago. To install another would come at a cost as my rec room part of the rec ceiling would have to be torn up. This way I have made the wife happy, she can record her day time shows and watch in the evening. It took a bit of time, but it does what they promised.
post #40 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-24, 12:20 PM
Veteran

You need to get a CSS multiswitch to do dual tuners off one coax. Shaw Direct seems to not like giving them out unless they absolutely have to.
post #41 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-24, 09:30 PM

I was told last week that they are only available for commercial installations and they will not under any circumstances supply them to residential accounts. Even if you are a commercial installer, it seems they are very very hard to get hold of.
post #42 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-24, 11:24 PM

Wow, that certainly seems counter-productive. I'd expect after ensuring the technology works, and after a couple years they should be there now, they'd push this out to counteract market shrinkage to Bell, Cable, and Telus. I wonder if there is a downside we haven't seen...

It would be nice if a Shaw Rep or Installer would chime in.

Regards,
Jim
post #43 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-25, 06:32 PM

a quick google search of the product shows it's available for about $3 US plus shipping
post #44 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-25, 06:43 PM

I have a way to get them fairly cheaply to Canada. If anyone wants some, please PM me
post #45 of 94 (permalink) Old 2016-03-26, 03:12 PM
Veteran

Does the receiver software not have to be changed also or is it just in a hidden menu?
Sure would be good to feed the one line into the RV rather than the now used 2nd line through the window!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in