Emergency Alert Upgrade Letter - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-05, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Emergency Alert Upgrade Letter

Just received a letter from Shaw Direct about my old receiver (DSR505) not being able to get emergency alerts. They encourage me to upgrade to the new Essential HD receiver for a special price of $49.50.

Looked it up and saw that the CRTC has given Shaw Direct six months to get ALL their subscribers onto this alert system. See paragraph 16 of this CRTC decision :

Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-120

Where it states:

Quote:
The licensee will therefore be required to fully implement emergency alerting on its national DTH BDU Shaw Direct by no later than 30 September 2015.
Don't see why I should have to pay for this solely on the basis of the emergency alert capability. Sounds like Shaw Direct is trying to pass off its problem by having us pay the bill. Apparently, there are 220,000 subscribers with so-called "obsolete" equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-06, 04:41 PM

Maybe if you wait long enough, they will upgrade you out of desperation, in order to meet the deadline. The advantage of having everyone on the 600 receivers also means that they can then start to move channels to MPEG4 which will free up space for more channels. However, I doubt they will do that somehow...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-06, 11:49 PM

What about 530's? I have two in service and a couple in the closet that I keep thinking that I should try to sell for a few dollars. Presumably Shaw Direct will stop activating all obsolete receivers up to and including the 500 series now?

Terry

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-07, 12:13 AM

And i wonder if one compatible receiver in the household meets the CRTC requirement or if they all have to be capable of the Emergency Alert System.

Terry

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-08, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae_collector View Post
And i wonder if one compatible receiver in the household meets the CRTC requirement or if they all have to be capable of the Emergency Alert System.

Terry
My guess is yes since I have yet to get a letter about my 530, as we do have a 630 as well. I would like them to offer an upgrade at a reasonable price for my 530 since the thing is so damn large and doesn't fit properly on my tv stand. Bigger than an old Betamax!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-08, 11:00 AM
Veteran

That's a bogus deal in my opinion. I remember back in 2011, I upgraded all of my receivers for $29 each so that I could get the Sunday Ticket Package. That was 4 years ago for the exact same piece of hardware. Shaw Direct should just upgrade 1x of your receivers for free in my opinion.
dosgringos likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-08, 11:02 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The advantage of having everyone on the 600 receivers also means that they can then start to move channels to MPEG4 which will free up space for more channels. However, I doubt they will do that somehow...
You would be correct. Shaw Broadcast calls the shots on MPEG-2/4. All the cable systems that use Shaw Broadcast need to upgrade their headend equipment to receive MPEG-4 signals.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-08, 12:35 PM

Just chatted with Shaw Direct online and they will only offer the deal if you have no 6XX receivers. Told me since I already had the 630 that I could get the emergency alerts. Offered to replace my 530 with a 630 for $249 which is supposed to be a "Deal" for existing customers, pointed out that I could get the same deal at BestBuy so it is not an exclusive for existing subs. They have no clue how to offer loyalty rewards!
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-08, 03:32 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbcanada View Post
Just chatted with Shaw Direct online and they will only offer the deal if you have no 6XX receivers. Told me since I already had the 630 that I could get the emergency alerts. Offered to replace my 530 with a 630 for $249 which is supposed to be a "Deal" for existing customers, pointed out that I could get the same deal at BestBuy so it is not an exclusive for existing subs. They have no clue how to offer loyalty rewards!
I returned a defective 530 last summer and surprise, they sent me a 630 for $13. I just had to get packaging to send the old one back to them. I still have another 530 that works. Maybe I should swap it out.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 12:00 AM

Does Shaw need to reconsider the delivery of Alerts?

I don't think Shaw has approached this Alert issue correctly. Anyone with a 600 series receiver had to give up interactive weather to make the receiver capable of receiving the alerts. I recently purchased a 505 so I could continue to get the interactive weather, and that's all I got it for, and now from the sounds of these posts, the attitude from Shaw is if you have a 600 series your capable of receiving Alerts and not eligible for an upgrade, and if you not watching your 600 series receiver when an Alert comes out, too bad for you!
Weather is likely what most alerts for me are going to be so to give up a weather feed should not have been a requirement. All receivers should be able to receive the alerts without the loss of the interactive weather. I think Shaw should revisit how they are intending on delivering the Alerts, in a more inclusive user friendly manner not by hijacking the receiver. Just my opinion. I still commend the efforts to this point on the Alert System, but for me this doesn't appear right yet. Equal Alerts for all!

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 12:22 PM

What is interactive weather?
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-09, 10:57 PM

Channel 105 on advanced but now gone to make the Alerts possible on the 600 series receivers, see http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-s...-launched.html it was customizable for your local area or whatever you wanted to see.

If Life is a Highway,...then why is there no end to this dirtroad?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-10, 06:30 PM
Rookie

as someone who already had to pay to move from 500 to 505...they can kiss my .....
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-20, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosgringos View Post
Just received a letter from Shaw Direct...
so where do they send the notice of people who have disconnected from snail mail, aka have gone paperless?

Last edited by 57; 2015-06-20 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Massive Overquote Shortened
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-21, 09:42 AM
Veteran

Email. I get my bill notices on the Email account I set up the online account.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in