Emergency Alert Upgrade Letter - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-21, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
Email. I get my bill notices on the Email account I set up the online account.
so do I. Did you also get this emergency letter sent to your email? I still have one, older series 505 box, but otherwise all 600 series. ?I wonder if they're only sending out to accounts that show NO 600 series boxes only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-06-22, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosgringos View Post
Just received a letter from Shaw Direct about my old receiver (DSR505) not being able to get emergency alerts.
couple of questions, dosgringos:

do you get your bill via email or snail mail?
do you have both 500 and 600 series receivers?
did they mention that come September the 500 series receivers would no longer work at all, or that every Shaw Direct home need to have at least ONE series 600 receiver?

I can't find any evidence of this letter at the Shaw Direct web site - tried searching for CRTC, Emergency Alert, Upgrade...couldn't find a thing.
If someone has this letter in LINK form at the Shaw site, please post the link

Thanks

Last edited by 57; 2015-06-22 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Quote Shortened (again)
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Sorry for the late reply. Thought I was following this thread.

- snail mail
- nope, only the 505
- no just BS about how apart from getting these alerts, I'll aso get clearer HD and a 14 day guide

I'm going to wait this out and see if they offer one up free in September once the CRTC extension deadline passes.

FYI, if you want to try your luck (but if you have 600 series already, you are SOL apparently), call 1 888 882 8348 and mention "Emergency Alerts."

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-07-09, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Just to clarify, I am signed for e-bills too, but got this letter snail mail.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-07-11, 08:41 AM

Their theory is that if you have a 600 series receiver in the house along with a 500 then there is no upgrade for the 5oo series? What happens if there is an emergency alert and you happen to be watching tv with the 500 series receiver? I guess you hold your nose, plug your ears and kiss your ass Goodbye?

Nice SD very nice!
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-07-15, 09:35 AM

DSR315 Dead Duck ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
... come September the 500 series receivers would no longer work at all ...
At all? Goodness, I have a 630 and a 315. Would my DSR315 no longer be able to receive any channels?

BTW, I use the 315 for audio purposes - smooth jazz channel; only rarely do we actual watch TV on that receiver.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2015-07-19, 01:30 AM

TV Master was asking if the letter from Shaw D claimed that 500 series would quit working completely OR if each account just needs to have ONE 600 series receiver to satisfy the requirement. Nothing says that 500 series equipment (or older) is going to stop working.

Terry

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-01-21, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Just came across the latest decision by the CRTC on this topic. Looks like they are off the hook for now and the CRTC is OK with their *generous* upgrade offer only for non-6xx owners.

Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-569

I'll have to give them a call to find out if the $50 offer is still on the table...and whether or not, on top of taxes, they tack on delivery and installation.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2016-01-21, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Oh and Bell is also in this latest CRTC decision. Apparently, they were upgrading their customer's equipment for free.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2017-03-17, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well waited long enough and with the MPEG-4 transition, got a free rental 600 replacement for my owned 505. Also sending me the new LNIB for the third satellite. The offer was made in a snail mail letter and is available only to those that do not have a 6xx receiver. My 505 will be decommissioned as part of this offer. I'm guessing this is the final leg of their plan to make sure all their clients receive the Emergency Alerts as per their long past due obligation to the CRTC.

Last edited by dosgringos; 2017-03-17 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in