Shaw Direct Satellite and Bluetooth - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2015-05-08, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Shaw Direct Satellite and Bluetooth

Due to hearing loss, I need to investigate Bluetooth use with my Shaw 605 or 630 Satellite receivers.

I assume that NONE of the Shaw receivers have Bluetooth transmitters built in.

Connecting a Bluetooth transmitter to my television earphone jacks will disconnect the speakers leaving my spouse with no sound.

Is there a way around this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2015-05-08, 11:35 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Connect one of the audio outputs of the 605 or 630 to the input of a bluetooth device which would then send the audio to headphones or hearing aids, depending on what you're using to combat hearing loss.

You could use either the analogue audio (red/white) or other audio output, depending on what you're already using to the TV. Obviously this would only help when watching Shaw Direct and would not help with BDs or other sources.

If you have other devices, then you could use analogue audio from those devices to the bluetooth device, but since it may only have one input, you could either have a switch upstream, or use "piggyback cables" so that you could connect both devices. This may not work if both devices are always sending audio, even when off, as some do.

It would be good if you told us exactly what you currently have, how devices are connected, which devices you're planning to use (one, two, more?) and what you're planning to purchase to combat hearing loss. I have assisted several people with hearing loss during my optimization travels, however, each situation is unique, so there is not "one solution", depending on needs, equipment involved, etc.

Edit: Some TVs have analogue (or other) audio outputs. You could then connect this output to a sound bar or AVR for "spouse audio", while also splitting that connection to the bluetooth device. Usually on TVs this is an optical output, but depends on make/model.

In this way if you have other devices connected to the TV, or use apps (like NetFlix) on the TV you'd both be able to hear that audio. Most, but not all, TVs pass audio from various inputs to the audio output. When using the audio output, the TV's speakers typically turn off, as you noticed with your headphone jack. You'd need to check the capability of your particular TV, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2016-05-30, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, bought a bluetooth transmitter $40usd from eBay and blue tooth headphones $12usd. Audio connection is via the optical audio output. Works great, best purchase in a long time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in