Shaw Direct Programming/Pricing Discussions - Page 34 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #496 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-05, 10:28 PM

Whaaaaaaat? Thatís it, reduction time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-19, 02:35 PM

TSN + Sportsnet is $25! That's as much as my Limited TV. Freakin' ridiculous!
post #498 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-19, 03:31 PM
Veteran

Just got my bill today. Yep, $5 increase effective April 1st. This is ridiculous!

post #499 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-19, 05:03 PM

A 25% increase, just before the Stanley Cup Playoffs, only to realize NO Canadian team will win again anyways. Too much Shaw, too much. Coupled with the Shaw stock price lousy performance, WAY TOO HIGH!

I can listen to these events for free. Just sayiní
post #500 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-19, 08:30 PM

Just opened my bill. I used to get upset with the $3 "adjustment", now its $6. Makes you want to cancel the whole works. Hard to do the math when you don't know how much the other packages are going up. Does anyone know the new price for small and medium tv? I wonder if we will ever get an adjustment dowward.......
post #501 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-20, 11:17 AM

I don't know of any service provider, be it Cable TV, satellite, cell phones, electric power etc., who does not increase its price on a yearly basis.

When subs get a new increase, the reaction is usually "This is too much, let me try and lower this bill or cancel my subscription entirely".

I don't want to be an economics smart-a!! here but the simple math goes like this: when people engage in this process and are successful in reducing (or eliminating) their bills, then all remaining subs will wind up getting an increase in their rate and the resulting increase will be higher than it would be if no one lowered or cancelled their bills.

The more people who do this, the higher the next increase will be: it's a self-defeating process that garanties higher and higher rates.

Why? Shaw (or any other service provider) simply cannot afford to see their total revenue decrease.

If someone has any data to show that SD is a worst offender in this regard, I would certainly like to hear what it is.

post #502 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-20, 11:35 AM

I figure I'll hold my nose and stick with SD until no coverage in the southern provinces. Then? We live in the country so the only alternative to sat. is air (and internet which is crummy too)
post #503 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-20, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsgo View Post
I don't know of any service provider, be it Cable TV, satellite, cell phones, electric power etc., who does not increase its price on a yearly basis.
Increases? Sure, everything increases. But when personal income increases an average of 2.5% per year, I canít buy into the poor-is-us corporation jacking fees 25% per year. Doesnít jive. Sorry.
starchoice likes this.

Last edited by 57; 2020-02-20 at 01:41 PM. Reason: QS
post #504 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-20, 02:52 PM

I was used to the yearly increase but looking back through some bills the increase is now every 8 months.
Dec 2017 $4
Dec 2018 $4
Aug 2019 $4
Apr 2020 $6

Funny I thought the yearly increase was $3 not $4. I just hope the multi receiver fee is not adjusted again.
post #505 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-20, 03:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalsgo View Post

When subs get a new increase, the reaction is usually "This is too much, let me try and lower this bill or cancel my subscription entirely".

I don't want to be an economics smart-a!! here but the simple math goes like this: when people engage in this process and are successful in reducing (or eliminating) their bills, then all remaining subs will wind up getting an increase in their rate and the resulting increase will be higher than it would be if no one lowered or cancelled their bills.

The more people who do this, the higher the next increase will be: it's a self-defeating process that garanties higher and higher rates.

Why? Shaw (or any other service provider) simply cannot afford to see their total revenue decrease.

If someone has any data to show that SD is a worst offender in this regard, I would certainly like to hear what it is.

No, it doesn't work that way. In a free enterprise system,the market will dictate prices unless they hold a monopoly over services which they don't.

As far as I am concerned, Shaw Direct is pricing themselves out of the market. Their prices are way too high for really an inferior product.

I have been with them a long time and primarily because I had an RV but I no longer have one so looking to go with a competitor. When you look at the offerings out there, I can get an equivalent package for less with a whole home PVR (one PVR only needed which can be accessed from other boxes) as well as wireless boxes. Amazingly, I can even get Netflix (or other premium) included in the package. This is also not to even mention the ability to record multiple broadcasts far exceeding the ability of SD's PVR.

You can only keep raising prices so much, especially if your hardware is inferior. Their channel offerings also leave something to be desired. I realize that everyone has their pwn preferences but SD has always been sports focused and there are channels that they can offer but don't and when they do, it's crap like horse channels.

I think their downfall has been the loss of snowbirds, their home away from home plan. Frankly, I can't afford increases that exceed the cost of inflation with nothing to show for it. If you do manage to get a loyalty discount, they are very stingy with it and nor worth the hassle.

I am going to investigate further but hoping to cancel by April 1st.
tvmaster and gzink like this.
post #506 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-20, 03:16 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straffer44 View Post
Just opened my bill. I used to get upset with the $3 "adjustment", now its $6. Makes you want to cancel the whole works. Hard to do the math when you don't know how much the other packages are going up. Does anyone know the new price for small and medium tv? I wonder if we will ever get an adjustment dowward.......
I have Small TV with some add-ons but my package is going up $5.
tvmaster likes this.
post #507 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-20, 04:00 PM

Just found out that Small is now $81 from $76 and Medium is $98 from $93. It was mentioned on here a while ago that both include the multi receiver fee.
tvmaster likes this.
post #508 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-23, 03:30 PM

i have the ontario life package, and was informed my package going up $5 in april as well... absolutely ridiculous that SD is allowed to increase packages this much... really only option is to leave and get onto another provider as a new customer and take advantage of new customer deals... this let me reduce doesn't cut it anymore, the smaller packages all going up $5 as well.. the Medium TV is still gonna be $98 plus tax... the small package useless cause all you get is 100 CTV, CBC, GLOBAL, CITY from every village in Canada.... All this does is mislead the public into thinking they are getting 200 base channels when 175 of them are all the same...in the end, they keep raising pricing out of greed and more and more people keep leaving.... whatever
post #509 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-23, 05:45 PM

I'm on the Digital Advantage package and it's going up by $6/mo - this is after the last increase of $4/mo from last August.

I've been a customer since 2004. Since 2005, I've endured $54.00/mo in total increases. I think it's time to cancel.
post #510 of 519 (permalink) Old 2020-02-23, 07:03 PM

For me I would have cancelled already, the wife is the one that is fighting to keep Shaw because she wants to watch her favorite shows. But as the prices keep increasing if she will break and resign herself that it simply is not worthy it anymore.

Shaw is pricing themselves out of business there's no other way to put it.
I dont know if this is out of Shaw control or not, but to be honest I dont care thats not my problem, my problem is that at some point that price increase straw will break my back.

And to make things worse the increases keep getting higher, it used to be $3, then $4 then $5 and now $6....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in