Shaw Direct Programming/Pricing Discussions - Page 31 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 240Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #451 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-07-31, 09:43 AM

All of the older packages are no longer advertised online - I would recommend asking what your Theme Packs are, as that'll help you narrow down what's able to be customized in your package. Then, your base is the following (focusing only on specialty channels, so there will be more included):

1 set of US Networks
ABC Spark HD
APTN HD
CBC News Network HD
CMT HD
Cottage Life HD
CTV News HD
Daystar
E! HD
Game TV HD
ICI RDI HD
LCN HD
Makeful HD
MeteoMedia HD
MTV HD
Much HD
National Geographic HD
RDS HD
RDS 2 HD
Sportsnets HD
T+E HD
The Rural Channel
Weather Network HD
TLN HD
TSNs HD
Vision TV HD
Yoopa HD
YTV HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-08-18, 12:43 PM

i currently have ontario life which has gone up to $91 and i have a pick2 channel pack which has climbed to a criminal price of $9, and then add on the $5.99 multi receiver fee which is also criminal and my price after taxes got to over $119 a month.
I guess my option is to drop SD or try and go to a cheaper package. I was thinking of the medium package which is $93 and after taxes would be like $105 and still expensive but I would save about $15/month. Any recommendations on the best value package for your money would be greatly appreciated.

SD fluffs up the number of base channels by including dozens of CTV, Global, CBC etc. from pretty much every city in canada which to me is an absolute waste and pointless.
tvmaster likes this.
post #453 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-08-18, 03:48 PM

Agreed on the insane replication of CDN network channels. While yes, it makes sense for a particular locale to have access to it’s local nets, I don’t see why everyone has to pay for every, single CDN network affiliate. Maybe one each from each time zone, but not five?

Yes, Shaw has to find transponder space for all of them to service all subscribers, but I do feel we’re all paying way too much for channels most of us will never, ever watch.

So you’ve got CBC, CTV, CityTV & Global. Set up a pack where subscribers can choose one each of those, per time zone. That would = four zones (your own doesn’t count) multiplied by four nets, equals 16 channels. That would be all we really need, right?

And if you want to pay three times as much, you can have them all.

My bill has gone from $89 to $146, and I’ve actually lost channels along the way.
Ridiculous.

post #454 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-08-19, 08:52 AM

My bill was $105 in January but now it's $130 (includes $20 for HBO and other movie channels).
post #455 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-08-19, 09:49 AM

@tvmaster and @Billy34 - Shaw Direct has to carry all the locals to meet CRTC regulations. They pay a flat Copyright fee for every premises that subscribes to distant stations (time shifting), regardless of the of the number of stations involved. That fee from all the TV providers is shared among the stations according to their own formula. I don't know if there are other direct costs, but I doubt there would be much difference in the price of the time shifting package with 4 cities compared to the current plan.
RuralRouter likes this.
post #456 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-08-19, 12:05 PM

I know they HAVE to carry them, which I believe was in my first sentence. Nonetheless, the costs which Shaw is increasing our rates is out of control. In my case, 50% in 10 years. Not sure about you, but nobody in our house has had a 50% salary increase in that time. Apparently, EVERYONE in the CDN satellite/broadcast industry has....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in