Shaw Direct Programming/Pricing Discussions - Page 28 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 240Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #406 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-04, 10:23 PM

Yeah, just put in the name and the account. I don't pay any fees, and I don't have a special account or anything: just chequing.
tvmaster likes this.

... Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #407 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-05, 01:08 PM

You can set up an automated banking account withdrawal to happen directly through Shaw Direct - you just have to login to My Shaw Direct and select "Auto Payments". You'll need your 5 digit transit number (basically your specific bank branch), your 3 digit institution number (corresponds to your bank company), and your account number (7 to 12 digits). Your bank can provide this info easily, or everything would also be available at the bottom of a cheque.

You can also choose to chat in or call if you don't wish to set this up online - but this process is a bit lengthy as we're mandated to send you a PAD (pre-authorized debit) Form for you to complete with the same information listed above, have you sign it, and mail it back. Legislation was put in place that made this process mandatory sometime back in, I want to say 2010 or so.

EDIT: this method will pull all owing balance for the month, regardless if it's the same as the previous month or not. Sounds like what @MikeDRiley was doing had a pre-approved amount or something? I've never personally dealt with a third party for auto-payments...
MikeDRiley and tvmaster like this.
post #408 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k801809 View Post
You can set up an automated banking account withdrawal to happen directly through Shaw Direct - you just have to login to My Shaw Direct and select "Auto Payments". You'll need your 5 digit transit number (basically your specific bank branch), your 3 digit institution number (corresponds to your bank company), and your account number (7 to 12 digits). Your bank can provide this info easily, or everything would also be available at the bottom of a cheque.

You can also choose to chat in or call if you don't wish to set this up online - but this process is a bit lengthy as we're mandated to send you a PAD (pre-authorized debit) Form for you to complete with the same information listed above, have you sign it, and mail it back. Legislation was put in place that made this process mandatory sometime back in, I want to say 2010 or so.

EDIT: this method will pull all owing balance for the month, regardless if it's the same as the previous month or not. Sounds like what @MikeDRiley was doing had a pre-approved amount or something? I've never personally dealt with a third party for auto-payments...
When you say ‘all owing balance for the month’, there are times when Shaw’s statement and the credit card card companies balances overlap, producing a credit card balance that ‘looks’ as if twice as much is owed. Shaw would only pull a single months payment every statement period, correct? I’d be displeased if they accidentally pulled two statement’s worth at once...

post #409 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-06, 11:40 AM

Correct - with the exception of your first withdrawal (depending on when you set it up) it would only ever be the upcoming month's charges, and any pay-per-use (PPV or VOD) charges from the previous month.

To make sure your first payment is smooth, I would check on when your billing date is and set it up the withdrawals immediately after making a manual monthly payment. It must be set up at least 10 days in advance from your next billing date or it won't take effect in time (which would result in a double payment the following month).
post #410 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-07, 01:55 PM

With respect to the current packages, XSmall/Small/Med/Large. I am not on one of these plans currently.

I know you can pick a number of channels bases on the package. My question is, can you change your selection. If so, can you do it online via the website or do you need to call in. Also, is there a limit - within reason - the number of changes allowed.

We are setting up a weekly rental (cottage) and it would be nice to offer the guests the channel selection they want.
post #411 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-07, 03:11 PM

You can change them as frequently as you want, no limits. The online bit is a bit tricky since we lost our "true" programming changer back in 2015. However, you can change them online, you'd just have to look at it as building the package from scratch. IE, you can't say, minus this one and add this one only. You'd have to effectively start over by selecting the full amount from scratch (I know, not ideal, but it would work).

I'll also mention online orders are processed by a human so they won't take effect immediately.
post #412 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-08, 08:11 AM

We set up an automatic charge of the invoice balance to our credit card years ago. Never a problem with Shaw Direct.

One note of caution: many years ago when Bell Mobility and Bell Canada had lots of problems with their billing systems, we discovered from our credit card company that once a CC holder authorizes automatic charges, only the merchant can turn off the automatic charges. Stupid- yes ! I hope that policy has changed.
post #413 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-08, 10:32 AM

Quote:
only the merchant can turn off the automatic charges
It makes sense when you think about it. You told the merchant to automatically take your payment from your credit card company or bank every month. They will keep doing it until you tell them to stop.
post #414 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-08, 08:54 PM

Quote:
You can change them as frequently as you want, no limits. The online bit is a bit tricky since we lost our "true" programming changer back in 2015. However, you can change them online, you'd just have to look at it as building the package from scratch. IE, you can't say, minus this one and add this one only. You'd have to effectively start over by selecting the full amount from scratch (I know, not ideal, but it would work).

I'll also mention online orders are processed by a human so they won't take effect immediately.
Thanks for this - So if I call in to customer support, the change will happen immediately?
post #415 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-10, 09:46 AM

Calling or chatting in would be immediate, yes!
post #416 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-28, 02:33 PM

Time to re-do channel packages as my grandfathered package has ballooned to stupid pricing.

I have been looking at the alternatives. At this link, the 'MEDIUM' package lists 162 BASE channels - but when you open up the requester, I only count 81. Am I missing the fact that they are including 30 CBC, CTV and GLOBAL feeds, etc.?

The ** asterisk showing when viewing the 'BASE' channels notes 'Not all channels available in all provinces' - is there a link/page to see exactly WHAT channels are for Ontario viewers, or do I have to grin and bear a phone call....

https://www.shawdirect.ca/english/packages/english
post #417 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-28, 03:03 PM

That disclaimer is just a cover-our-pants - if you select Ontario as your region, the channels displayed will be available. Looks like the local channels are messed up, and are displaying Limited TV (which Ontario is separated into three regions for, Medium gets 100% of Ontario channels + Timeshift).

I'll get that fixed.
post #418 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-28, 03:30 PM
Veteran

I suggested a while ago that it would be best to go through a CSR, either by chat or phone. Not all available channels show up on the website that can be included in your choice of package. Others are premium channels that are extra and don’t count as part of your package. A CSR can steer you to what you want.
As far as price increases, I took the small package with time shift and the price has gone up $20 in the last year.
But I am happy with the new National lineup. A lot easier to find news, sports and specialty channels by punching 300, 400 etc. Only wish CP 24 had been included with the news channels rather than tacked on to the end of Ontario channels.
post #419 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-28, 04:08 PM

@jbracing24 - were you on the $0.99 Timeshift promotion prior? Small + Timeshift would have gone up by $3 and $1 respectively on December 1, then Small will be raise by $4 this August 1. But, if the 6 months at $0.99 on Timeshift expired in that time, I see where you're getting closer to $20 from.

CP24 was a struggle. The way that it's primarily packaged (base packages for Ontario) called for the Ontario locals placement.
post #420 of 456 (permalink) Old 2019-06-29, 01:56 AM

Quote:
That disclaimer is just a cover-our-pants - if you select Ontario as your region, the channels displayed will be available. Looks like the local channels are messed up, and are displaying Limited TV (which Ontario is separated into three regions for, Medium gets 100% of Ontario channels + Timeshift).

I'll get that fixed.
so that MEDIUM, Base Channel list is incorrect? Do you have a separate link I could peruse until you get the requester fixed? I’d much prefer to have all my decisions made before I call a CSR and get into a ‘promotion’ sales pitch, i.e. I will know exactly what i want before calling in...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in