Shaw Direct Programming/Pricing Discussions - Page 20 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 240Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #286 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-10-26, 01:17 PM

Is it just me, or are older, bundled, grandfathered plans a lot cheaper then if you try and build the same plan today?
Also, is HBO bundled with TMN, as I don’t see them on their own.
Same goes for east coast - west coast U.S. nets, are they available as a stand-alone package?

Last edited by tvmaster; 2017-10-26 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-10-26, 02:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
Is it just me, or are older, bundled, grandfathers plans a lot cheaper then if you try and build the same plan today?
Also, is HBO bundled with TMN, as I don’t see them on their own.
Same goes for east coast - west coast U.S. nets, are they available as a stand-alone package?
Definitely. I had to take TMN as a stand-alone (although it does come bundled with HBO) in order to preserve my grandfathered Superstations package at $1.99/month. If I took the movie package which would give me more channels (e.g. AMC), it also comes bundled with Superstations but I would lose the pricing on my grandfathered Superstations stand-alone.

The kicker is that the TMN stand-alone costs more (about $3-4) than the bundled movies package so less stations for more money. I only wanted HBO for one series so I am better off in the long run with this price-gouging package.
post #288 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-10-26, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
Is it just me, or are older, bundled, grandfathered plans a lot cheaper then if you try and build the same plan today?
I definitely think this is true. And in my experience, Shaw Direct may even offer you something in the short term to move off the grandfathered package.

Last November, I went from Digital Indulgence Light to Digital Advantage because I called Customer Relations for a deal and we worked something out that basically gave me Digital Advantage for the same price as I was getting Digital Indulgence Light. There were a few extra channels with Digital Advantage that I wanted, so I went for the dangled carrot knowing I could never go back. And I regretted it almost immediately because there was a price increase within a couple of months that might not have existed if I'd stayed with Digital Indulgence Light. Plus I lost a number of radio stations that I had with DI Light that I didn't know I'd lose.

Now that deal is almost over and I have to call Customer Relations again. And what we're seeing now is this whole package overhaul, making Digital Advantage now grandfathered it seems. For me, the kicker is that sports is included with Digital Advantage, where it wasn't with Digital Indulgence Light. It was the sports package as an add-on with Digital Indulgence Light that also gave me free time shifting. With Digital Advantage, I got time shifting with that 99-cents-for-six-months deal. And I got that twice. But when I looked on the Shaw Direct site yesterday, it looks like that time shifting package is now $6.00! Where it was $2.99 full price last year. Although that 99 cents for six months thing is still in play.

I still regret making that change from Digital Indulgence Light to Digital Advantage and when I call Customer Relations this time in November to (hopefully) get a deal of some kind, I'm going to remember what happened last time. They're probably going to want to move me off Digital Advantage, but I'll be more skeptical.

post #289 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-10-27, 12:34 PM

TMN subscription: I live in Ontario and subscribe to TMN. My guide listings (Classic lineup, east coast) shows TMN 1 at channel 141 and TMN 1 West at channel 147. Greyed out is TMN 2 West at channel 148. Am I supposed to be receiving that channel as well, since I receive TMN 1 West? If so, is it a Shaw computer error and would I need to call them to turn it active?
post #290 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-10-27, 12:46 PM

I am in the east (advanced lineup) I only get TMN1 West as well. I believe the West Feed of TMN1 is only there to provide a timeshifting option / equivalent of TMN4.

LONSat
post #291 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-10-27, 02:17 PM

well if TMN 2 West is supplying different programming, as are the SD versions of TMN, is there a reason why we SHOULD'NT be getting access?
post #292 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-10-27, 02:44 PM

TMN programs TMN 1 through 4 according to their webiste TMN.ca TMN4 is just a shift of TMN1, everything on TMN4 is just 2 hours later. Shaw Direct is really only offering TMN1 - 3 East and West. In the east they give us TMN1W as a poor mans TMN4. I would imagine some of the promos on TMN1W would indicate program start times that are more in line for western viewers. ie the "Tonight on the Movie Network" promos would talk about movies on TMN2 and 3 that have already aired or are in progress for Eastern viewers.

Shaw Direct is merely conserving band width by not offering TMN4 E and West. I am curious if western viewers get TMN1 East as it would not really be the equivalent of TMN4W as it would be airing programming in advance of TMN1 West rather then post TMN1 West.

Looking at ShawDirects most recent channel lineup (Dec 2016), Movies East consists of TMN East 1-3 and TMN1W. Movies West is TMN West 1-3 and TMN1E. We are getting what we are supposed to.

LONSat
post #293 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-10-29, 01:11 PM

Got it, thanks for clearing that up.
post #294 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-11-06, 05:56 PM

I called today as I had a promotion on my Digital Advantage package that was over next week. Using Optik TV (Telus) as a price match, I was able to get a great deal that made it worth it to keep Digital Advantage for sure. I got to the bottom of my $4.01 price increase also -- Digital Advantage is going up $3 on December 1. The timeshifting (which I also have) is going from $2.99 to $4 on December 1 when you have Digital Advantage. I was able to get the credit for the timeshifting added again (for the third time), which is $2 off. And that's for another six months.

But I was also able to find out a few things about the new packages, the Small, Medium and Large. Firstly, they DO include the multi-receiver fee, except for Limited TV. It includes ALL Canadian timeshifting, like on this Canadian Time Shift bundle here:

Shaw Direct

As far as I can tell, the Medium and Large in particular are pretty-much like Digital Advantage, particularly with the Canadian channels if you have the time shifting currently. The big difference is that you choose the extra channels you want, meaning you won't have some from Digital Advantage. But if you're like me, it's channels you wouldn't want anyway. And when you look at the price, you have to keep in mind that it includes the multi-receiver fee already. And it includes that Hollywood Suite (with Medium or Large), for what that's worth.
post #295 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-11-06, 07:24 PM

I meant to post here last week, but it slipped my mind. I noticed that they fixed the web site so that you can click and see the channels included with all the new packages.

All the new packages including Extra Small have U.S. Nets and the TSN + Sportsnet theme pack which contains a few extra sports channels. Only Medium and Large have Canadian Timeshift and your choice of Hollywood Suite or World & Adventure packs.

The main difference among the various new packages is the number of "additional channels of your choice" that are included.
RuralRouter likes this.
post #296 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-11-09, 11:30 AM
DHC Supporter

Just wondering what is the consensus of the new programing packages available from Shaw now. I was looking to change, noticed the Sportsnet package went up by 4.00 from 14.00 to 18.00 in the theme pack. I never changed my digital advantage package had more and for less money.
post #297 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-11-10, 02:09 PM
Veteran

More expensive. I have the old Digital Indulgence package which was never advertised on their site.
post #298 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-11-10, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah12 View Post
Just wondering what is the consensus of the new programing packages available from Shaw now. I was looking to change, noticed the Sportsnet package went up by 4.00 from 14.00 to 18.00 in the theme pack. I never changed my digital advantage package had more and for less money.
Keep in mind that for their Medium and Large TV, the sports is included as is Canadian timeshifting and the multi-receiver fee. It's true there aren't as many other channels generally, but with the Medium (for example) you can choose the 30 you want. I actually found that when I chose 30, it was enough for me. It wasn't as many channels, but they were all channels I liked.

I also have Digital Advantage and called last week to see if I could renew a deal. To make a direct comparison -- on December 1 with the price increase, the Digital Advantage, Canadian timeshifting and the multi-receiver fee comes to $79.99. With the Medium TV, existing customers pay $86. The difference is the extra channels you need to choose yourself. I stayed with Digital Advantage because of the deal I got, but I would consider the Medium TV because there were a few channels I don't have that I could choose and also Hollywood Suite is included too.
post #299 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-11-10, 11:36 PM
DHC Supporter

I see what you mean but that is also 86.00 plus taxes which works out to 95.00 which is 15.00 more a month.

Last edited by 57; 2017-11-11 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #300 of 456 (permalink) Old 2017-11-11, 04:46 PM

I agree with you Noah12. It's too much money. The $79.99 I quoted for the comparable Digital Advantage package (includes Canadian timeshifting and the multi-receiver fee) is without tax. So with tax it's $89.59. The difference between the packages therefore is $5. BUT they're both too expensive. That's why I called to try and get a discount, which was a success. I'd definitely encourage you to call Customer Relations specifically to try and get a discount on your Digital Advantage package. Particularly with that price increase coming up on December 1.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in