Shaw Direct Programming/Pricing Discussions - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 246Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #226 of 477 (permalink) Old 2016-12-02, 11:38 PM
Rookie

Adding back the Superstations pack for $1.99 doesn't work, but now you can get the 4-pack for $3.95 instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 477 (permalink) Old 2016-12-03, 07:54 PM

the 4-pack ?? what's that ?
post #228 of 477 (permalink) Old 2016-12-03, 09:31 PM
Veteran

Shaw Direct used to sell the 4 superstations, WSBK, WPIX, WGN and KTLA for $1.99 but it seems they have raised the price to $3.95 for the 4 channels or $3.00 each.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!

post #229 of 477 (permalink) Old 2016-12-03, 10:49 PM
Veteran

This must be effective December 1st under the new packages? I am still being charged $1.99.
post #230 of 477 (permalink) Old 2016-12-03, 10:53 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertronix View Post
Adding back the Superstations pack for $1.99 doesn't work, but now you can get the 4-pack for $3.95 instead.
Yes, under the new package regime but not legacy package subscribers; otherwise my price would have went up but it didn't.
post #231 of 477 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post
@net29091 the HD Sports bundle and HD Sports Combo are designed as supplements to people that have some of the sports channels, but want the extra channels included in those supplemental bundles. I think they go back to the days when there was only 1 TSN channel included in the bundles. Bottom line - if you drop the TSN+Sportsnet bundle, you won't be eligible. Here's a good summary post written by a Shaw employee:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-s...ml#post2724034

You can drop Real Life ($6) and add BNN ($5) and save $1 if you want.

I think Shaw forces you to call in to drop any channels.
Thanks @Dr.Dave ,
I like how you can add a channel online, but need to call in to drop a channel. I'd be a subscriber to SiriusXM except for that model ( they're currently offering me 5 months for $20 ).

I actually switched to Rogers in the Summer ( they offered me too good a deal on TV/Internet, and Landline phone ) - but am keeping SD for two reasons: 1) I use it up at my cottage - the old HAFH was main reason I switched from Rogers to SD years ago; and 2) As a bargaining tool when my Rogers bundle is up in the Summer of 2018.

One thing I don't understand, which becomes more noticeable when you're paying $60 including taxes for SD's Limited TV, is the multi-receiver fee. This fee might be tolerable, but my understanding is that SD are the only ones who limit the number of receivers you can have. The odd time I see this mentioned on here - I just see the argument that no one needs more than 6 total receivers. I disagree. When you can can pick up 32 inch LED HD TV's for less than $200, it becomes very easy to have a TV in every bedroom, in addition to the living room, basement, guest room, kitchen, garage, etc. I don't understand why they even have a limit, but at the least, the limit should be 8 receivers - why does SD even care ?

Anyways, thanks for the info, I've saved the link to that post by the Shaw Employee.

Cheers !
post #232 of 477 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 11:00 AM

I think Bell satellite also limits the number of receivers to 6. I think the rationale for the limit is to reduce account splitting, which is very easy to do with satellite, but is against the terms of service and is essentially theft of service.

I agree with you that SD's multi-receiver fee is a bit of a scam, but at least you don't have to pay it for each receiver. If you do have 6 receivers, it actually works out to pretty cheap warranty coverage.
post #233 of 477 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 02:30 AM

I'm thinking of switching to Limited TV ($25) + Canadian Time Shift ($6) + Primetime ($6) + Movies ($19.99), this would cut down our bill significantly.

I see that "Canadian Time Shift" includes the US networks. Is that eastern and western? Or just one of the feeds? The website isn't clear, but there is a separate "US Nets" pack, so I'm guessing you need that to get another feed of the US networks? It's odd calling in Canadian Time Shift when there are US networks in it.

Also, is AMC HD included in the movies package. On the website it seems to be just the SD version (and the HD version is only available separately for $5).

Thanks!
post #234 of 477 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 09:33 AM

If you don't order the U.S. Networks, you won't get the U.S. time shifting in the Canadian Time Shift package. If you order both, you get the U.S. time shifting as well. See post 193.

Shaw Direct changed their policy last fall so you get the HD channel if you order the SD channel - See post 207.

EDIT: See next post for correction.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-01-16 at 12:44 PM.
post #235 of 477 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 12:29 PM
Rookie

That isn't accurate. He is my bill that was received yesterday.

Limited TV 25.00
Fun Stuff 6.00
Multi-Receiver Fee 5.99
High Definition Extra 3.00
Timeshift Bundle Detroit 6.00
TSN & Sportsnet Bundle 14.00
Total 59.99

I live out West and I don't receive the Seattle US Networks as I would have to pay 6.00 for those but indeed yes, the Detroit US feeds are included in the Canadian Timeshift bundle.
post #236 of 477 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 12:44 PM

Thanks @JackBauer009 .

So it looks like you can get a U.S. feed plus the Canadian Time Shifting for the same price as just the U.S. package. Seems like a better deal, unless you really want a specific U.S. feed.

EDIT: did they give you a choice of the U.S. feed or do you automatically get the opposite feed of where you live?
post #237 of 477 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 01:21 PM
Rookie

I was given no choice. The REP explained that the timeshift for me was East which makes sense. Our preference was the East feed anyways and this was the smartest choice to make as we didn't feel the West coast was worth an additional $6.00 per month.
post #238 of 477 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 01:37 PM

Jack,

Do you know if the HD Extra package is required to get those channels in HD? From the posts here it seemed like Shaw Direct had started including HD channels for free as long as you subscribe to the SD version.
post #239 of 477 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 01:47 PM
Rookie

Not sure. I don't subscribe to the SD versions, just the HD ones through the High Definition Extra bundle.
post #240 of 477 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 03:04 PM

Just chatted with Shaw Direct online to clear up some things. This is what they said:

-Canadian Time Shift package only includes US nets if you already subscribe to the "US Nets" package. They said if you don't already subscribe to "US Nets", then there is nothing to Time Shift.

-The $19.99 movie package (TMN & HBO) includes AMC in SD, but not HD. You have to get AMC HD separately for $5 (ouch!). I said I thought that you get HD for free if you subscribe to the SD version of the channel, and they said: "It is true of the majority of the cases although not all. AMC being an exception."
Dr.Dave likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in