Shaw Direct Channel Discussion Thread - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 191Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-11-23, 12:35 PM

There were East and West feeds of Comedy in SD, but never a West Feed of Comedy HD. 100%.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-11-23, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy34 View Post
Can anyone explain as to why there is so much duplicate HD channel listing on the guide.
eg 284&58 both NBC Detroit... 102&269 both TSN2... 281&130 both AMC plus many more
I find this very annoying and having to scroll through these extra channels makes no sense to me...
If i go and hide one of these duplicate channels then the other one is also hidden??
I know they used to have some sort of advanced/classic channel option for users... I dont even know if this still exists or what i have to be honest..

just my thoughts

thanks
This issue has been discussed ad nauseam in another thread. I can't remember which one now, but probably one of the firmware upgrade threads. This has nothing to do with the advanced/classic lineup maps, but rather, when Shaw Direct launched the 3rd satellite they also reorganized their HD channel order, but for whatever reason also left the original numbering on some of these channels as well that existed prior to the 3rd satellite being launched.

So for example in the advanced lineup, TSN2 is on 311 AND 602. I'm guessing at some point they will remove 311 from the advanced map, who knows. The real annoying problem with this, is when setting up your favorites, if you choose say 602 it also automatically includes 311 and vice versa when you try to remove one. So you are stuck with both channel #'s in your guide/map. It's a fix I wish they would include soon, even if they aren't going to eliminate the duplicate mapping.

As 57 says, it doesn't actually take up bandwidth, it's just Shaw rearranging channel's so they fit into theme sections better, and not deleting the old #. Likely cause lots of people have the old #'s still set as timers, or PVR tapings, etc.
post #93 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-11-29, 06:35 PM

Looking for the TSN HD channel for the Grey Cup. Found the SD channels (422-425) but can't find the HD channels (at least I hope they are not HD channels). What channel are they on?

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...

post #94 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-11-29, 07:06 PM

The HD channels for the Grey Cup are on channel 98 though 101 inclusive. Almost all of the TSN channels.
post #95 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-11-29, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy34 View Post
any chance we will ever get NFL Network HD...
love the channel, horrible to watch in SD
You're right, it is horrible to watch in SD, everything is horrible in SD. I'm looking forward to the day when everything is in HD. Shaw is way behind the others in providing HD content.
post #96 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-12-03, 02:19 PM

Then we were on the wrong channels. Tnx!
Agree too that the SD channels look terrable, must be 240 or 320i. 420i usually looks fairly good on our TV but the Shaw SD channels don't.
The HD is ok though. They should just forget about the SD channels, think the receivers will downconvert for older TVs... but I suppose there are older RF only TVs that won't have HDMI or composite inputs that receivers have to support... but it's likely a good time to start phasing out those receivers.
So much program repitition besides HD/SD programming, there must be a better way to deliver higher quality pictures.

SBGH @ 46', 10' C-band, & various home made projects...
post #97 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-12-03, 05:14 PM
Veteran

All modern receivers have RF Out, Composite and HDMI so any of them can be connected to any TV. The issue with Shaw Direct is they do not call the shots on which channels get carried. Shaw also has a commercial distribution arm called Shaw Broadcast which distributes signals to many cable systems in Canada. They dictate what gets carried on Shaw's transponders. This is why Shaw's HD channels on Anik F1R and F2 are still MPEG-2.
post #98 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-12-06, 11:26 AM
Veteran

Only the DSR600 has RF out. The DSR630 has only composite A/V and HDMI.

A number of channels (mostly local broadcast stations) are there almost exclusively for home satellite viewers.

I don't think they will turn off SD channels to push customers to HD receivers, at least yet, just to get customers a better picture.
post #99 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-12-07, 10:34 PM

Who is still using a TV that uses/requires a RF input? One hasn't been sold for at least 7 years.
post #100 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-12-08, 10:08 AM

There are plenty of TV's in kids rooms, bedrooms, den's, kitchens and cottages. Commercially - doctors offices, community centres and even some bars that have TV's that still use RF.

LONSat
post #101 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-12-08, 11:43 AM

Older folks that don't embrace new technology well, some people that TV is not a priority in their life ( none of them would be on web sites like this.) There a lot of older sets out there still running just as Lonsat pointed out.
post #102 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-12-09, 09:16 AM
Veteran

Or cheap/less technically sophisticated. My brother (+"wife" and two young boys) has no less than 3 CRT TVs in his home, including a rather new discount store, and two flat screens (one a fairly nice one) fed from SD cable boxes. I am mostly LCD in the house, the ones used to watch most TV with DSR600 series receivers. Of course my mother (in her 70s) watches only SD channels, I rarely go above 138 (HD only).
post #103 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-12-10, 09:44 AM

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I just bought a 55 inch SONY 4K UHD TV and they still have RF input !!
If you do OTA outside antenna feed for local channels, the RF connection is needed.
post #104 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-12-13, 12:56 PM

RF is a convenient way to route signal a good distance around a house. A friend uses their living room receiver to send RF to their bedroom to watch the late shows which lull them into sleep. No need for a great picture.
post #105 of 1078 (permalink) Old 2015-12-15, 06:42 PM

What package have they put Cartoon Network on? We are still getting it in freeview.

Tags
cw network , hd channels , new channels , shaw direct , superstations , wgn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in