Shaw Direct Channel Discussion Thread - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 107Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-05-07, 03:55 PM

Where? It has never been on my Guide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-05-07, 06:00 PM
Veteran

Where is what??

NFL Network HD and LMN are NOT available on Shaw Direct.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #153 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-05-22, 10:35 AM

I know that Shaw Direct have an MPEG4 transition plan which will convert most (all?) channels to HD. However, it's been a very quiet year so far for new HD additions. Anyone know when we might get more? If they were sensible, they'd push the MPEG4 transition as quickly as possible. However, I suspect it's all related to contracts that it's going to take so long.

post #154 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-05-22, 03:29 PM
Veteran

Question

Is Shaw offering free upgrades to a MPEG4 Receiver like Bell did for their conversion to their customers?

1,2,3 Come Party With Me 3,4,5 Kept The Spirit Alive 1,2,3 I'm Feeling So Free 3,4,5 Keep The Party Alive
post #155 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-05-23, 09:05 PM

I don't think so MCIBUS. The timescale is long enough that most subs will have at least one 6XX receiver I would think. Also, now that the CW affiliation is going from WGN, what are the chances we'll get WPIX or KTLA in HD sooner than planned to replace the lost HD programming?
NovaMan likes this.
post #156 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-05-24, 01:43 PM
Veteran

I doubt KTLA or WPIX in HD will make it on Shaw Direct any sooner than the current timeline. Almost all CW shows are on Canadian channels. I doubt CW is a huge priority for any carrier.
post #157 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-05-24, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

I can think of Three that are not on conventional networks.
Jane the Virgin (shomi only)
Reign (E! - not HD on Shaw Cable)
Whose Line is it Anyway (none)
NovaMan likes this.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #158 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-05-24, 04:08 PM

I'd also add Crazy Ex Girlfriend to the list. Before Christmas, it was on Showcase, but not afterwards
post #159 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-05-24, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet

I'm not sure but i think THE 100 is not on any canadien channels either
post #160 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-05-25, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet View Post
E! is in HD on Shaw Direct. Whose Line..? is often repeated (though badly edited) on HIFI, also in HD.

I did ask SD if they had plans to either replace WGN or add KTLA and / or WPIX in HD. They told me that they have no information but that they have already been receiving channel requests for KTLA and WPIX from other customers. I've been requesting those channels for a long time so that probably makes no difference, but the impending CW change might just push it a little.
post #161 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-06-06, 12:08 PM
Rookie

New Channel Request

As may have been discussed elsewhere on this site, WGN is dropping it's affiliation with the CW Network this fall, which means there will be no HD feed of CW available on Shaw Direct. I've requested KTLA and WPIX to be added in HD for years (both have been available from alternate program providers for years), but no progress so far.

I contacted Shaw Direct, and received the following response:

"Unfortunately at the current moment we will not have the HD version of KTLA, Shaw is always going through negotiations to obtain new channels. Although our systems are physically capable of receiving this channel, there might be more negotiations needed."

This response seemed pretty generic, so I sent another inquiry and received the following response:

"I understand your frustration over this matter, currently these channels are only in SD and the only one we have in HD is WGN as you mention. I'm going to give you an honest answer and not go the generic approach as to why this is the case.

The bare naked truth here is that we don't have enough requests for these channels. As per your message, you say you've been requesting this channel for years while other providers carry it. Have you been using this link at all in the past? It would be here:

https://shaw.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/fo...DoJ1yiPv1ADzE1

This goes directly to our management's attention as what YOU want to watch IS important to us. If you'd like to get us to consider these channels sooner rather than later, fill it out every day if you have to, get your friends and family to do it, and their friends as well. That's the best solution I can offer to you for the moment.

Hopefully by doing this we're going to acquire the rights to these stations finally, as we do have them in SD already so it would only make sense if they are hot in demand. I hope my response to you was satisfactory."

I don't know if there is a better method of requesting these channels be added by the fall, but I suggest anyone interested in receiving CW in HD follow the link to the Shaw Direct Channel Request form.

If anyone knows a better way of making this happen or has any more information, please post.

Thank you.
NovaMan likes this.
post #162 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-06-06, 02:31 PM
Veteran

I don't buy this at all. Channels are added by request? How do you explain them adding new channels that have no following at all, many of these that you would have to question the "popularity". If they weren't making money on a channel, they would drop it with no hesitation. So, WGN is currently available in HD. How is it more popular than KTLA, by SD's reasoning? These channels are offered with the movie package or as a stand-alone bundle. How would you measure the "popularity" of any one of them? Yes, you can subscribe individually but this would not really mean anything, given that the majority of subscriptions would surely be by bundling.

I'm sure that the majority of customers don't even bother requesting what they would like to see. How is a request form indicative of what their subscriber base really wants?

I wouldn't waste my time. They are selling you a bill of goods.
NovaMan likes this.
post #163 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-06-06, 04:43 PM
Veteran

Exactly; the whole channel request form is just smoke and mirrors. As I said in another thread, I find it rather amusing that the only provider with a channel request form is the one with the least amount of channels.
post #164 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-06-06, 10:13 PM

I filled in the survey, anyway.

https://shaw.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/fo...DoJ1yiPv1ADzE1

Who knows, it may get Shaw management talking, if enough people fill it out? It could possibly speed things up. We already know they plan on offering these channels in HD in the future, why not encourage them to act sooner?
RuralRouter likes this.
post #165 of 803 (permalink) Old 2016-06-07, 02:03 PM
Veteran

If it makes you feel better, why not?
NovaMan likes this.

Tags
cw network , hd channels , new channels , shaw direct , superstations , wgn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in