Check your invoices for HST overcharge - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-28, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Check your invoices for HST overcharge

So for the last 4 or 5 months (at least) every invoice from Shaw Direct has been overcharging the HST by exactly $0.45. I only noticed it the first time because a programming change was prorated one month, which made my invoice an even number and that made the HST overcharge quite obvious to spot.

So I emailed them and they credited my account back and I left it at that. The next month I did a quick check and though it isn't quite as obvious when your invoice isn't an even number, I did check it and sure enough I was overcharged HST by exactly $0.45 again. Email them, they credited it back. This song and dance has gone on for 4 or 5 months. This month the random CSR who handled the email just made up some new math and told me I'm wrong (I'm not, they overcharged by exactly $0.45 again even though my bill increased as a result of the announced Jan 1 rate increases). To continue to overcharge by exactly $0.45 even as my bill increases tells me there's a bug in their billing software. I'm hardly a consumer advocate or look to raise a fuss, but as I've told them the last 3 months, I'm really sick of having to email about the same issue month after month.

I figure one customer complaining over $0.45 every month isn't incentive enough for them to fix whatever problem they have in their billing system so I got to wondering just how big a problem this is and if it's happening to more customers then how many more? And if the problem is as widespread as 1000s or tens of 1000s of customers then where is this extra $0.45 per account going because you can rest assured no accountant is voluntarily sending an extra $0.45 in collected HST straight to the government.

So if this problem is affecting more than just my account, I'm hoping hundreds or thousands of emails and phone calls will convince them to fix their billing issues.

To check, simply multiply the total of your charged services by your HST rate (in Ontario, it's 13% or 0.13) and make sure that number matches the HST being charged by Shaw Direct on your invoice.

Again, I've noticed this problem for the last 4 or 5 months, but haven't bothered to go back before that to see how long it's actually been going on. However, I'm at the point where I might just do that because I'm sick of Shaw Direct not doing anything about it month after month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-29, 12:17 PM

Sorry, my HST is correct. Astronomically high, but arithmetically correct.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-29, 01:39 PM

Mine is astronomically high also but the tax is correct.
Nova Scotia 15% HST.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-29, 07:49 PM
Veteran

HST??????
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-29, 08:03 PM
Veteran

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-29, 09:40 PM
Veteran

Ummm no. Blame Dalton in ON.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-29, 11:01 PM

HST isn't charged in every province Slugger
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-29, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Right, well HST, PST+GST (are there any provinces that still the split the two?), or if you're from the richer part of our country, then only GST. My point, of course, was whatever the tax rate, however it's labelled, just be sure it's being calculated and charged properly.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-30, 10:49 AM

Half of the provinces use HST: Ontario, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. The rest use separate PST + GST, except Alberta, which doesn't have PST.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-30, 11:22 AM
Veteran

I know Harper did not create the HST. It was a joke.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-12-30, 11:26 PM

The people who don't understand my jokes about all three Shaw satellites working well south of the 49th don't understand HST.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2015-01-04, 12:17 AM
Rookie

Only two of the satellites work well south of the border...lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in