Broad query re: programming - HD vs regular - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Broad query re: programming - HD vs regular

Ridiculous subscription I've been having for quite a while now. Wanting to pare it back down to something reasonable.

That said, what is the general opinion or conclusion about regular vs HD programming for any particular station? What I mean is that do most stations duplicate the programming, one in HD the other regular, or in most instances will the programming vary? I started looking at this and after only a brief bit, started thinking that perhaps there is more variance than common programming at any given time.

Thanks for any input on this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2014-11-13, 11:20 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I'm not sure if I understand your question. Most new TV programming is not duplicated. It's shot in HD (16:9) and either sidecut (33% lost on the sides) or windowboxed (no loss, but black bars above and below the image) for SD (4:3) viewing.

Black Bars FAQ: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2014-11-14, 01:59 AM

What Terra3 is asking is: Does channel "whatever-HD" have somewhat different programming on it than what it shows on channel "whatever-SD" to take advantage of the HD channel and give the viewers a more HD experience.

IMO the programming is identical in almost all cases. I can only recall one channel that I found quite a few years ago that had different HD shows on their HD channel. It might have been Discovery or something similar. Now that HD programming is so much more available I would bet that they show the same programming on SD and HD now.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2014-11-14, 10:06 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The rights to HD and SD programming are often negotiated separately, so sometimes the HD channel may not have the rights to air something. TCM-HD is an example where they have blackouts regularly due to this.

Other channels may air different programming, if they don't have the HD rights. In general though, the HD and SD channel would air the same programme since the broadcaster would have negotiated rights for both. Same goes for programming on the web - negotiated separately. Just because a channel has the rights to air something on a TV channel, doesn't mean they can stream the same programme on the web. On-demand programming by the provider is probably similar.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2014-11-18, 05:37 PM
Veteran

For Canadian broadcast and specialty channels, no, there is no content difference that I can see between the SD and HD channels.

Discovery World (HD only) is a separate channel.

TCM-HD has some blackouts of movies in HD, while play on the SD channel.

That is all I see.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2014-11-18, 11:35 PM
DHC Supporter

I would agree I see no major difference between SD and there counterpart HD channel
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2014-11-23, 08:45 AM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Our HD package excludes SD time shifting for the four US networks. This is only a problem during severe thunderstorms. And with FOX.

(just a Shaw packaging oddity)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in